SK Hand Tools hit by strike in Defiance

SK Hand Tools hit by strike in Defiance

There are 52 comments on the Journal Gazette story from Apr 2, 2009, titled SK Hand Tools hit by strike in Defiance. In it, Journal Gazette reports that:

Unable to negotiate a new labor contract Wednesday, about 70 union workers walked out of a Defiance, Ohio, tool plant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal Gazette.

rat

Chicago, IL

#21 Oct 19, 2009
my kids and i are insured work at sk and are very happy .......thanks but your all a bunch of morons. this day and times you cant afford not to work .plus its getting cold out its nice and warm in side.have a nice holiday..........
Mobile Jobbers Need SK

Merrillville, IN

#22 Oct 20, 2009
The KD and Allen lines have been officially discontinued starting January 2010. The only replacement Danaher Tool Group will have to offer is GearWrench and Armstrong. Gearwrench is not a professional tool and is made in China. Armstrong is not focused on the automotive market and is priced too high. SK is the only professional automotive tool for independants; if SK disappears then the independant jobber business slowly dies as well.
RAT 2

Melrose Park, IL

#23 Oct 20, 2009
RAT wrote:
AFTER READING ALL COMMENTS I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE ON STRIKE. BUT I NEED SOME TYPE OF INCOME.I AM SORRY.BUT I MAKE GOOD MONEY AT SK. WHAT ABOUT McCOOK,? THEY HAVE CROSSED OVER AND DONT CARE ABOUT LOYALTY.GOD BE WITH ALL OF US THESE DAYS AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!111
dealers will survive

Richmond Hill, Canada

#24 Oct 21, 2009
SK Strikers Need Community Support
The strike at SK Hand Tools is going strong and the workers are standing their ground until justice prevails and healthcare coverage is restored.
The strikers are holding the line 24/7 at both locations and need people to come out to stand in solidarity and to bring food, coffee, water and soda.
Chicago location: 3535 W. 47th St.
Suburban location: 9500 W. 55th St.(McCook).
"This strike has captured the imagination of people of concience across Chicagoland," said Local 743 president Richard Berg. "The strikers are strengthened by the overwhelming show of solidarity from supporters. We will continue to fight till we get justice," he continued
The above was written on another site. I believe you won't get justice but perhaps unemployment. I completely agree with what the mobile dealer above wrote. Many choices for users to choose and SK isn't necessarily better anymore. Sorry, to tell you but when and if you do get back to work many distributers will have found a new tool line to sell. Hopefully you can solve this and get on with manufacturing because this isn't good for us either. There are years worth of SK tools in the shops and mechanics will be quite unhappy if they can't get warranty. No-one wins here. Dealers may end up buying and giving away another brand to keep customers happy on warranty issues.
Unfortunately for the workers the dealers have another 10 choices of lifetime warranty tools to sell and most often SK isn't better., just American.
Mobile Salesman

Canada

#25 Oct 21, 2009
I am against strikes at all times.
But this time it directly affects me.
Sk tools are the best that can be, we compete against SnapOn , Matco, and MacTool very easely with our quality and prices.
But since the strike, I'm having a hard time getting my tools and my customers are starting to complain.
And we are starting to see SK Tools that where purposefully built with defects, probably by these people that think you can find a solution on discussions by hurting others and using blackmail to get their way.
Well, I happen to hate blackmail and there is no way I can accept the moves the union is making. It's unjust and completely ignorant.
We keep hearing the Union side of the story, complaints, and baby talk. The owners are in one heck of a mess having to deal with these people.

I just hope they can come to some kind of settlement so we can go on with our lives that these 70 people are trying to run.
RAT 2

Melrose Park, IL

#26 Oct 21, 2009
RAT wrote:
AFTER READING ALL COMMENTS I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE ON STRIKE. BUT I NEED SOME TYPE OF INCOME.I AM SORRY.BUT I MAKE GOOD MONEY AT SK. WHAT ABOUT McCOOK,? THEY HAVE CROSSED OVER AND DONT CARE ABOUT LOYALTY.GOD BE WITH ALL OF US THESE DAYS AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
I AGREE
Realist

Prescott, AZ

#27 Nov 6, 2009
God, do I get tired of hearing the same tired union whining. If you don't want your job, QUIT! SK Tools, nor any other business, owes their employees more than the weekly paycheck they earn. Fringe benefits, retirement, etc. are extra bonuses not required by labor law. Yes, it sucks if you have health coverage and it is stopped without warning. Any decent organization would meet with employees and describe what's going on. Times are tough all over, for both employees and employers alike. Crap like this is exactly the reason I have chosen to downsize my business and get rid of the constant headaches and whining from outside employees. Let me say, the stress level is WAY down and the money is about the same as before. In the case of SK or other large businesses, union labor can whine all they want and win all the battles, but if and when when the company declares bankruptcy, you're out of a job and war is lost. Get rid of the attitude problems and put out the work you were hired to do; otherwise, move out of the way so others can do it in your place.
Mobile Salesman

Canada

#28 Nov 6, 2009
Well the strike is over, thank God.
So all the little pricks that spend their lives whining got their way and the rest of us will have to pay for them.
This is called social injustice. The good workers have a conciense and a sense of responsibility and are willing to work for what they are worth and on the other side, the whiners get what they don't deserve just because they have used their uselessness to force others to pay for their lazyness and incompetence.
And the worst part of it is, they will never understand what they are doing for lack of brains.
J M Otte

Beaumont, TX

#29 Aug 3, 2010
Very sad. I though SK tools were the best, and now I won't be able to get them anymore!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#30 Aug 8, 2010
Just dropping in on this discussion. There is never a good time to go on strike. Never. But I support the union workers here that have held together to collectively try to stop the take backs from a large corporation. The take backs will be forever. Your spending power, that pays for goods and services provided by those against the strike, will be reduced, forever. The trickle down affect of your reduced compensation will affect those in your your communities, whether they think so or not, forever. So, be strong, remain united and good luck to all of you paying the price.
Mobile Salesman

Saint-georges, Canada

#31 Aug 8, 2010
Boy Richard, they are sticking together and they are paying the price!!!!!!!!!!

SK went bankrupt a month ago.

So now the whole world is paying the price for all the Jimmy Hoffa's little cousins.

But of course Obama is willing to spread the wealth to you too. So no worry, you've got it made.
A check in the mail for as long as he is in power and you don't even have to work at all. And free meds and services. wow. So stay friends with Van Jones and life will be beautifull you bunch of numskulls.
Hand Tool User

North Hollywood, CA

#32 Oct 10, 2010
Now that Ideal Industries has bought SK Tools, hopefully, SK hand tools will become more available soon. That won't help the workers and those that depended upon them in the old Defiance, Ohio plant, however. The purchase deal did not include that plant or the workers that used to work there. Ideal will be either integrating the manufacturing of SK tools in their own plants or building a new plant. Either way it seems the Defiance, Ohio plant workers, including those that went on strike, will have to find new jobs if such a thing can be done these days. Good luck.
Mobile Salesman

Saint-georges, Canada

#33 Oct 10, 2010
Good.
They dug their own grave and never looked back at the rest of us that are still paying for their mistakes.
I hope they never find a job.
Advice to employers. NEVER hire a Union worker, they will bring in their sickness with them and destroy all your previous work.
Mobile Dealer

United States

#34 Oct 12, 2010
Well I hope all the strikers are happy, none of you have a job now. Thank You all for the headaches you brought on all of us dealers to deal with. Glad to see Ideal bought up SK and look forward to the future, hopefully they can keep the union out so they can survive the economy we are all dealing with. It's to bad for all the people that are out of a job now but what did you think was going to happen? I feel the worst for all the dealers that couldn't survive because of the greed of these people best of luck to you all. If there's any of the old employees that still come on here I need to know one thing, was it worth it?
NotChinese-yet

United States

#35 Oct 12, 2010
Labor law also doesn't specify wage rates, other than minimum wage, so according to Mobile Dealers's logic, all the workers should get is minimum wage. And since he's such a big fan of corporations, lets let them pay all of us chinese wages so we can all work in godforsaken sweat shops - because it is the job of corporate bean counters to cut until resisted. If the worker protection laws in this country didn't suck, then companies wouldn't bust unions by declaring some BS bankruptcy orchestrated by corporate attorneys and accountants sold by PR flack in high rises. And no, unions often don't win - that's corporate lying for the gullable. Let's bust unions everywhere and go back to the days before weekends, when 6 day work weeks and 12 hours days were the norm and little kids had to work to support their families because dad got paid so little that he couldn't do it himself. Corporations were so generous when they were left to take care of their workers all by themselves! Moble Dealer, you have no knowledge of history, no knowledge of labor law, and no knowledge of the inter workings of large corporation. All you care about is yourself.
Who cares

Waltham, MA

#36 Oct 13, 2010
Honestly who cares about this? It was brought on by management greed, employee greed and union bullying.
Mobile Salesman

Saint-georges, Canada

#37 Oct 14, 2010
Well NotChinese-yet, since you know so much about the poor employees that get mistreated by their employers, why don't you start your own company with your own abilities and your own money, hire union workers, treat them like you pretend they should be treated and do it till you go bankrupt.

You still believe that the reason why the chinese products are so cheap is because their wages are so low, you figure it has nothing to do with the fact that the products are not worth buying because of the bad quality of their junk. Do you really believe that if they where paid more, all of a sudden their junk would be better?

It looks to me that you where born to be an employee all your life, blaming others for your misfortune and trying to suck out evrything you can from your fellow humans.

Well , go for it, and don't forget to work the least you can for the biggest wage and think that it only affects you and the rest of the world should pay for it.
CharlesKoivisto

Palatine, IL

#38 Oct 29, 2010
Ideal purchased certain assets of SK without assuming any of its debt, although it does plan (according to the SK website) to honor the SK lifetime warranty.

Ideal is a first class company, making products in the USA (Sycamore, IL) for 80 years, with a long history of strongly supporting its distributor partners and its loyal customers worldwide. This is not some fly-by-night operation with plans to make a quick buck by sending production overseas.

No, Ideal is not union but what does that matter anymore? Seriously. We've seen the union version of SK; do we want a repeat? And before union members blindly attack Ideal as being "greedy" (don't you love it when people call companies greedy for not giving THEM something for nothing?) you should know Ideal treats and rewards its employees extremely well as part of its corporate culture.

This is a total win-win for the SK customer, the companies that rely on SK tools to sell, and the American worker.

Good news. We need more of it.
Mobile Salesman

Saint-georges, Canada

#39 Oct 29, 2010
Yeah Charles,

How true. I have been doing business with SK for 26 years and I have known Ideal for about 10 years.

Yes, we need more of non union people working for the good people.

In the long run, finally somewhere somehow there are some people that can understand how bad unions can be.

Great victory for the American worker. I have been seeing the damage of the unions since 1965, yes, 1965. And nowhere have they done any good.
Man from Ohio

Warren, OH

#40 Nov 2, 2010
I work for a company that was bought out by a foreign company. They have no idea on how the market goes in the United States. I too have taken pay cuts, hours cuts and watch corp spend money like there is no tommorrow. While I gave my 20% of pay back to them. I know the economy is tough and if you have a job you must hold on to it, but enough is enough. Corperations live fat, you don't see any of them wondering where there next check is coming from ( Oh, maybe there bonus check for cutting jobs). Most executives are still driving there company paid cars. Don't see them cutting back to high fuel mileage cars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Defiance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The circle chat whoever lived there in early 20... (Jan '14) 19 hr Tayk 249
Review: Defiance Dance Studio (Aug '15) 19 hr Jss 242
Spring Meadows Trailer Park Defiance Ohio 19 hr Jss 19
News Energy Transfer says FERC approves drilling alo... Nov 6 GraceForReal 2
Tomas "The Rat" Walters Oct 31 Death Dealer 1
Top boy in p s l fl Oct 23 Mike 1
Landlords in defiance beware (Jun '16) Oct '17 Minispots78 9

Defiance Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance