Condo activists urge board accountabi...

Condo activists urge board accountability at Deerfield Beach co...

There are 49 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 2, 2008, titled Condo activists urge board accountability at Deerfield Beach co.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The first Florida conference to educate owners and legislators about the need for rewriting Florida's condo and homeowner association laws drew nearly 400 people Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mlz

AOL

#1 Feb 3, 2008
i am trapped with a vacation condo, special assesments for no purpose, harrasement by association, and dropping values, no one wants to own with association have such a bad rap.we need stronger rights for owners.
CORAL RIIDGE TOWERS

Freehold, NJ

#2 Feb 3, 2008
THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP FOR OWNERS RIGHTS. MANY BOARD OF DIRECTORS TRY TO INTIMIDATE SENIORS INTO REMAINING SILENT AGAINST THEIR ILLEGAL ACTIVITY. NOW TOGETHER WE WILL HAVE A VOICE. THE POLICE WILL BE ABLE TO ARREST THE THIEVES THAT ARE ON THE BOARD.
MJD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Feb 3, 2008
Excellent program, I was there Saturday. I am glad people are finally waking up and fighting for the rights we as Americans enjoy "outside" our HOA and condo associations but have to endure these "violations of civil rights" inside our own communities.
All these laws need reform and you should contact Julio Robaina with your comments and complaints.

Most home owners and board members take the words of community association managers (CAM) as gospel and they know very little because most of the training they have is performed by "vendors" they use for their business!!!
Additionally, they dispense "legal" advise as if they were attorneys, and again, unknowledgeable board members just roll over and take their inaccurate advise.

I did notice there was a lack of presence from the "community association managers" and firms they represent and from law firms that represent the HOAs and condo associations, this is because they know they are enriching themselves and abusing inocent citizens.

There were attorneys that fought for the underdog homeowners, but of course those were too few, we need more to fight the big greedy management companies and lw firms!!!!
Thank you to Jan Bergeman, CV and all other participants for hosting the event....do it again soon!!!!
We need this at least every six months until changes occur!!!!
DTC

New York, NY

#4 Feb 3, 2008
So many do not no the bylaws before they buy in,then when they get there they want to do things that are not allowed.Be informed of everything before you move in and get active in your assoc.
CORAL RIIDGE TOWERS

Freehold, NJ

#5 Feb 3, 2008
MJD wrote:
Excellent program, I was there Saturday. I am glad people are finally waking up and fighting for the rights we as Americans enjoy "outside" our HOA and condo associations but have to endure these "violations of civil rights" inside our own communities.
All these laws need reform and you should contact Julio Robaina with your comments and complaints.
Most home owners and board members take the words of community association managers (CAM) as gospel and they know very little because most of the training they have is performed by "vendors" they use for their business!!!
Additionally, they dispense "legal" advise as if they were attorneys, and again, unknowledgeable board members just roll over and take their inaccurate advise.
I did notice there was a lack of presence from the "community association managers" and firms they represent and from law firms that represent the HOAs and condo associations, this is because they know they are enriching themselves and abusing inocent citizens.
There were attorneys that fought for the underdog homeowners, but of course those were too few, we need more to fight the big greedy management companies and lw firms!!!!
Thank you to Jan Bergeman, CV and all other participants for hosting the event....do it again soon!!!!
We need this at least every six months until changes occur!!!!
WELL SAID. OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS HIRED AN UNLICENSED MANAGER AND ASSESSED US OVER $600,000.00 FOR SUBSTANDARD WORK WHICH WE HAD TO PAY AGAIN TO GET FIXED BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN.

THE DEPARTMENT OF PROFESSIONAL REGULATION AND THE POLICE DEPARTMENT DID GET INVOLVED. THE UNLICENSED MANAGER WAS FINED.

THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS TRIED TO INTIMIDATE THE UNIT OWNERS WHO SPOKE UP AGAINST THE FRAUD.

JUSTICE PREVAILED. THE UNLICENSED MANAGER IS GONE AND A NEW BOARD WILL BE IN PLACE.

MORAL OF THE STORY. GET INVOLVED. PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM THEIVES.

THANK YOU JAN BERGMANN. THANK YOU REPRESENTATIVE JULIO ROBAINA. THANK YOU VIRGIL RIZZO. THANK YOU GOVERNOR CHARLE CRIST.
Great Conference

Miami, FL

#6 Feb 3, 2008
Thanks Julio Robaina for not giving up and not being afraid to stand up to the special interests! Click below and make sure you have your sound on!! Join other concerned property owners together we will make a difference hopefully this session.

http://www.ccfj.net/
Bill

Delray Beach, FL

#7 Feb 3, 2008
It wasn't in the by-laws that the long-timers were all buddies. All the news stays within this group. Nothing is ever posted, but the old-timers always seem to know what is going to go on. The old-timers/snowbirds keep electing themselves so they always keep themselves in the know. There is no accountability for how the money is spent to the "outsiders." Everything needs to be posted or mailed to each owner, not just at bogus election time or when they want money. I know, sell, move or shut up. Who wants or can buy now? The market has tanked for us newer buyers. Condo boards and management companies have to divulge all activities each and every month so one knows what is going on "behind closed doors" with the money. The majority where we are continues to be the "old-timers" and they get whatever they feel like. We will never buy into a homeowners association again when we get out of here.
Baby Shamu

Hollywood, FL

#8 Feb 3, 2008
The lowest form of democracy is a condo board meeting.
TCB

United States

#9 Feb 3, 2008
Why don't the same complainers and know it alls devote the same time and energy to actually getting involved in their associations. Then it would not be the old evil board members ruining their lives. And for those who hate living under the rule of a board, why did you not spend a few hours actually reading the documents, before you bought?
Ralph

United States

#10 Feb 3, 2008
What a load of crap! More oversight and quicker responses are necessary but, except for Chapter 720 (HOA's), the rest are adequate. The problem is that few bother to read them. That includes this guy Bergemann, who has incorrectly referred to Chapter 718 (condos)frequently and, at least on one occassion, has advised that owners violate the law, thus putting them at risk.
Yes to better oversight and yes to quicker responses. Beyond that, be careful of what you wish for.
Copies of the laws are available for free and every owner has a copy of their association documents.
Learn before complaing, otherwise you don't know what you're talking about.
Bill

Delray Beach, FL

#11 Feb 3, 2008
TCB wrote:
Why don't the same complainers and know it alls devote the same time and energy to actually getting involved in their associations. Then it would not be the old evil board members ruining their lives. And for those who hate living under the rule of a board, why did you not spend a few hours actually reading the documents, before you bought?
Nobody said hate, nobody said old evil board members ruining their lives. That is your interpretation of folks getting to share. You a President?
larryo

Pompano Beach, FL

#12 Feb 3, 2008
Good Luck! You should give each board member a copy of FS 718 and pas a 20 question test afterwards. The REAL problem is COMMUNICATION- these boards think they can decide things without telling anybody. And when you ask later what the have done, they clam up! That's when people start to get pissed off. If the unit owners knew what the board was doing, 90% of the time they would approve. The board is not a private club, open up like The Sunshine Law says to
Condo board president

United States

#13 Feb 3, 2008
Understanding business management, I was reluctantly compelled to get involved upon becoming an owner. From day one and still today I'm amazed ineptness of owners understanding the association is a business with one distinct difference of a regular business: profit generating. My experiences serving the association has been varied but all a learning opportunity. My approach has and will always be to not make any decision for personal benefit,but more importantly make a decision for the sole benefit "of the quality of living" for my neighbors, owners and their families. I inherited Wilma and much corruption and lack of accountability at the worst possible time: contractor greed vs. owner need. This has truly been the most difficult job I have ever engaged. Many of the comments current and future do give a realistic viewpoint as you are all dealing with the clash of people and law, and ignorance of the rules to play by. People must understand when s/he fail to get involved, expect the worst and no one will listen to your aftermath complaints.
bob

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Feb 3, 2008
Being a condo President isn't easy. Nothing in life before retiring 20 years ago prepared me to deal with all these problems. I just try to somehow get things done with as little effort as possible and there's always somebody criticising me.

You can't tell owners what's going on because they wouldn't understand. They'd just get upset and disrupt our nice peaceful board meetings. That's why two of us decide everything before the board meeting. The rest of the board are old and tired or confused and will vote with us as long as they don'y have to wear themselves out by thinking. I know I'm old too and often lose my train of thought before I can finish a sentence so thank God there's my board buddy to do that for me. So embarassing !

Wish my owners would just shut up and obediently send in their checks so I can pay vendors whatever they tell me they want. Why do owners have to think so much ? They should gladly pay and pay and pay for the privilege of sitting at the pool or on the beach while we amuse ourselves by playing with their money. We need more rich dummies for owners. That keeps it nice and quiet for everyone.

Those that can still think for themselves should go buy a house somewhere and leave us alone. Some day they will feel old and irrelevant too and then they will understand why we love to get on the board.
Lefty

United States

#15 Feb 3, 2008
bob wrote:
Being a condo President isn't easy. Nothing in life before retiring 20 years ago prepared me to deal with all these problems. I just try to somehow get things done with as little effort as possible and there's always somebody criticising me.
You can't tell owners what's going on because they wouldn't understand. They'd just get upset and disrupt our nice peaceful board meetings. That's why two of us decide everything before the board meeting. The rest of the board are old and tired or confused and will vote with us as long as they don'y have to wear themselves out by thinking. I know I'm old too and often lose my train of thought before I can finish a sentence so thank God there's my board buddy to do that for me. So embarassing !
Wish my owners would just shut up and obediently send in their checks so I can pay vendors whatever they tell me they want. Why do owners have to think so much ? They should gladly pay and pay and pay for the privilege of sitting at the pool or on the beach while we amuse ourselves by playing with their money. We need more rich dummies for owners. That keeps it nice and quiet for everyone.
Those that can still think for themselves should go buy a house somewhere and leave us alone. Some day they will feel old and irrelevant too and then they will understand why we love to get on the board.
And you think ANYBODY believes you?
You posted this same BS in another condo thread, remember?
CPA

Saint Petersburg, FL

#16 Feb 3, 2008
Every time the assoc. votes to lower the accounting standard from audit to review or compilation the assoc. invites fraud.

Every time the board places the vote to lower the accounting standard on the annual ballot they are complicit in any fraud that occurs.

Every time you pay me less to look at your books, I hold my nose and close my eyes. The best I can do is reject the sub standard offer to work.

The choice in accounting standards is the most abused portion of FS 718.

The 20 questions (test on 718) is too short. Since CPAs are tested every 2 years on ethics, the Condo board candidate should be required to pass a 50 question test on FS 718 and a continuing Condo board member should be required to pass a 20 question test annually, before they vote to waive the AUDIT.

Don't you realize folks are stealing way more than the audit fee? Every month!
Karlton

Deerfield Beach, FL

#17 Feb 3, 2008
TCB wrote:
Why don't the same complainers and know it alls devote the same time and energy to actually getting involved in their associations. Then it would not be the old evil board members ruining their lives. And for those who hate living under the rule of a board, why did you not spend a few hours actually reading the documents, before you bought?
The unit owners only want to complain. But it you tell them why don't you run for the board, they will suddenly stop and they will say, "para eso pago el mantenimiento". Meaning, I pay condo fees and I can do what I want. Most condo owners are totally ignorant. I sold my unit and expect never to return to another condo.
MJD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Feb 3, 2008
Baby Shamu wrote:
The lowest form of democracy is a condo board meeting.
It is "NOT" a democracy!!!
It's an aborition of God!
MJD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#19 Feb 3, 2008
bob wrote:
Being a condo President isn't easy. Nothing in life before retiring 20 years ago prepared me to deal with all these problems. I just try to somehow get things done with as little effort as possible and there's always somebody criticising me.
You can't tell owners what's going on because they wouldn't understand. They'd just get upset and disrupt our nice peaceful board meetings. That's why two of us decide everything before the board meeting. The rest of the board are old and tired or confused and will vote with us as long as they don'y have to wear themselves out by thinking. I know I'm old too and often lose my train of thought before I can finish a sentence so thank God there's my board buddy to do that for me. So embarassing !
Wish my owners would just shut up and obediently send in their checks so I can pay vendors whatever they tell me they want. Why do owners have to think so much ? They should gladly pay and pay and pay for the privilege of sitting at the pool or on the beach while we amuse ourselves by playing with their money. We need more rich dummies for owners. That keeps it nice and quiet for everyone.
Those that can still think for themselves should go buy a house somewhere and leave us alone. Some day they will feel old and irrelevant too and then they will understand why we love to get on the board.
This is the kind of "ILLEGAL" actions the boards commit day in and day out!!!
...and this guys admits it, he says that they decided "before" the meeting, this is against state law folks!!!!

What community are you at Bob???
bob

Boca Raton, FL

#20 Feb 3, 2008
Lefty wrote:
<quoted text>
And you think ANYBODY believes you?
You posted this same BS in another condo thread, remember?
Remember ? I'm too tired to remember to put in my teeth or zip up my fly most days. Wait if you get to be my age. All you'll want is peace and quiet at any cost. You young folks are just trouble makers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deerfield Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
girls how many family members have you had sex ... (Dec '15) Jan 17 jhershey2062 33
cyberspace jukebox (Sep '12) Jan 15 YO VINNIE 1,523
oxycodone 30mgs 4 sale (Jun '12) Jan 11 addicts ruined it 6
Broward Removal Service (Sep '08) Dec 30 Frank mcdonnell 25
News Hundreds of homes may be built on former Deerfi... Dec '17 one_big_g 1
News Review: Broward County teachers disciplined in ... (Nov '08) Nov '17 TLD 8
News Debris hauler touts post-Irma prices as potenti... Oct '17 Pam 2

Deerfield Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deerfield Beach Mortgages