dpisd tax increase
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
TaxWhore

Houston, TX

#1 Oct 17, 2012
FYI and you knew it would happen... Adair is allegedly touring the schools in the district warning that if the tax increase doesn't pass there will be drastic reductions if not a complete shutdown of the district. I unlike his employees he's apparently trying to scare into voting for this ridiculous tax increase will not be threatened.
You know what? Maybe being shutdown is exactly what is needed to open some of your eyes to the gross mismanagement of our schools!!! VOTE NO
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#2 Oct 17, 2012
Sounds good to me.
knowledge

Deer Park, TX

#3 Oct 20, 2012
TaxWhore wrote:
FYI and you knew it would happen... Adair is allegedly touring the schools in the district warning that if the tax increase doesn't pass there will be drastic reductions if not a complete shutdown of the district. I unlike his employees he's apparently trying to scare into voting for this ridiculous tax increase will not be threatened.
You know what? Maybe being shutdown is exactly what is needed to open some of your eyes to the gross mismanagement of our schools!!! VOTE NO
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Our schools are already leaner than most. Without an increase the cuts will be severe. This means a cut of virtually everything not required by the state.

No extracurriculars. No aides. No dyslexia program. No reading recovery. Everything that's extra will go. The hole is that large.

After this I am sure your taxes will go down even further, since your property values will be in the crapper.
dpmom

United States

#4 Oct 20, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>You have no clue what you are talking about.

Our schools are already leaner than most. Without an increase the cuts will be severe. This means a cut of virtually everything not required by the state.

No extracurriculars. No aides. No dyslexia program. No reading recovery. Everything that's extra will go. The hole is that large.

After this I am sure your taxes will go down even further, since your property values will be in the crapper.
Yes, it's very unfortunate that these clueless people who do not care one iota about our children can't do the research and see what's at stake. They don't understand the financial situation of our school district at all. They think all the district does is spend, spend, spend when in reality teachers & staff live under constant scrutiny of every dollar spent on them. Getting a job as a teacher has become very competitive since they have been on a hiring freeze and cut jobs where they can. Positions that are very much needed. If this doesn't pass it will be very grim in DP. Adair is not just blowing smoke up everyone's arse.
Voter

Katy, TX

#5 Oct 20, 2012
N You are!!!
dpmom wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's very unfortunate that these clueless people who do not care one iota about our children can't do the research and see what's at stake. They don't understand the financial situation of our school district at all. They think all the district does is spend, spend, spend when in reality teachers & staff live under constant scrutiny of every dollar spent on them. Getting a job as a teacher has become very competitive since they have been on a hiring freeze and cut jobs where they can. Positions that are very much needed. If this doesn't pass it will be very grim in DP. Adair is not just blowing smoke up everyone's arse.
Patrick

Tomball, TX

#6 Oct 20, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no clue what you are talking about.
I already had to do this at home so why do you think the school should not have to adjust the same as my family has had to do? All of our extras are gone and have been gone for a long time and we are still being taxed more and more. Its time for the schools to cut their extras as well.
knowledge

Deer Park, TX

#7 Oct 20, 2012
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>I already had to do this at home so why do you think the school should not have to adjust the same as my family has had to do? All of our extras are gone and have been gone for a long time and we are still being taxed more and more. Its time for the schools to cut their extras as well.
True. DP schools over the last few years have already done that. There is no traditional block scheduling (A and B schedules that make all classes 90 min and requires more staff). Staff has been trimmed as much as it can be. New hires have been frozen. Salaries have been frozen. Internal budgets have been cut. DPISD is much later in even asking for an increase because we have been managed well into this crisis. However they have held out as long as they can. There are no other solutions.

You have seen some building and improvements done. This all thru bond money. These certainly aren't free dollars. However it is the only way to spend these dollars and because it allows these projects to be done without having to send part of the dollars away it is a better way to build than traditional budgeting.

I think you dont understand what an "extra" is. We aren't talking about extras in the sense of things nobody wants or needs. We are talking about things that the state doesn't require.

What extras do you think the district currently has that the public would be okay losing.

What do you think your property values will look like if the school district your home sits in is no longer the best one in the area? Who do you think will want to buy a home in an area where the school district provides only the baseline required by the state because it is all that they can fund?
winston zeddemore

Pasadena, TX

#8 Oct 21, 2012
Unless I am misunderstanding, bond money cannot be used on salaries. It can only be spent on improvements and upgrades.

Nevertheless, I still don't think the bond should pass. Close the district, Arnold/school board, and get a hold of your budget. You spending the last bond (two years ago?) like drunken sailors doesn't exactly show good leadership. The emperor has no clothes on in DPISD.
knowledge

Deer Park, TX

#9 Oct 21, 2012
winston zeddemore wrote:
Unless I am misunderstanding, bond money cannot be used on salaries. It can only be spent on improvements and upgrades.

Nevertheless, I still don't think the bond should pass. Close the district, Arnold/school board, and get a hold of your budget. You spending the last bond (two years ago?) like drunken sailors doesn't exactly show good leadership. The emperor has no clothes on in DPISD.
This isn't a bond election. It's a prop tax increase
Budget

United States

#10 Oct 21, 2012
Do you think the district will shut down the football program, golf program, swimming, culinary, Spanish, French, tennis, PE, music, choir, art, band, drill team. You do realize that in order to graduate high school kids have to have a certain amount of PE credits a certain amount of fine arts and election credits in order to graduate? The district will not scale back to just core classes in high school. Not possible.
Voter

Katy, TX

#11 Oct 21, 2012
Then cut, cut, cut. We have all had to cut our spending. How stupid these thougts are. We all have had to make serious cutbacks due to the same type of problems and you think we should pay more taxes when 1/3 of them even go to other school districts. None of us have the extra money to help them with their agendas.Vote No!!
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
True. DP schools over the last few years have already done that. There is no traditional block scheduling (A and B schedules that make all classes 90 min and requires more staff). Staff has been trimmed as much as it can be. New hires have been frozen. Salaries have been frozen. Internal budgets have been cut. DPISD is much later in even asking for an increase because we have been managed well into this crisis. However they have held out as long as they can. There are no other solutions.
You have seen some building and improvements done. This all thru bond money. These certainly aren't free dollars. However it is the only way to spend these dollars and because it allows these projects to be done without having to send part of the dollars away it is a better way to build than traditional budgeting.
I think you dont understand what an "extra" is. We aren't talking about extras in the sense of things nobody wants or needs. We are talking about things that the state doesn't require.
What extras do you think the district currently has that the public would be okay losing.
What do you think your property values will look like if the school district your home sits in is no longer the best one in the area? Who do you think will want to buy a home in an area where the school district provides only the baseline required by the state because it is all that they can fund?
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#12 Oct 21, 2012
Voter wrote:
Then cut, cut, cut. We have all had to cut our spending. How stupid these thougts are. We all have had to make serious cutbacks due to the same type of problems and you think we should pay more taxes when 1/3 of them even go to other school districts. None of us have the extra money to help them with their agendas.Vote No!!<quoted text>
I second that!. Voters have had to learn how to work smarter with their own household budgets, so it is time for them to do the same.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#13 Oct 21, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
----------

"Who do you think will want to buy a home in an area where the school district provides only the baseline required by the state because it is all that they can fund?"
----------

If that is the single most important reason for buying a home in a certain area, then may I suggest home schooling or a private school?. The money tree in my back yard died from last years drought and the oil well dried up too.
Most of us are sick of budgeting our own meager incomes, just to have more
of it taken away by self interest groups.

The rest of us have to understand the difference between spending on true NEEDS or spending on WANTS. It's time that you did too.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

De Leon, TX

#14 Oct 21, 2012
Seriously, why would a Teabagger town like Deer Park need good schools?
Income

Friendswood, TX

#15 Oct 21, 2012
2008 my income $80,000, 2009 $87,000, 2010 $68,000, 2011 $76,000. Adjustments have been made at home! I expect the city and schools to do the same!!
winston zeddemore

Pasadena, TX

#16 Oct 21, 2012
Hezekiah wrote:
Why do you equate higher taxes/more spending with better schools? Typical liberal response.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#17 Oct 21, 2012
Hezekiah wrote:
Why does a fleabagger like you care?. Besides, other people have more ambition in life besides scrubbing away skid marks on toilet seats. Thank a third grade teacher if you can read the graffiti on the stalls moron.

De Leon, TX

#18 Oct 21, 2012
winston zeddemore wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you equate higher taxes/more spending with better schools? Typical liberal response.
I'm on your side, Winnie. I don't think the spawn of ignorant Teabagger bigots should have good schools either.

De Leon, TX

#19 Oct 21, 2012
Defiant1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does a fleabagger like you care?. Besides, other people have more ambition in life besides scrubbing away skid marks on toilet seats. Thank a third grade teacher if you can read the graffiti on the stalls moron.
Don't worry, Deviant. Deer Park Teabaggers aren't going to raise your taxes for luxuries like good schools. By the way, I think it's the parents responsibility to teach children not to leave skid marks on toilet seats.
red dawn

Baytown, TX

#20 Oct 21, 2012
HEZ COMMIE you would be the skid mark expert

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MEXICO southern wall 2 hr Texan 23
Hey Trump Chumps....Trumps says anyone under FB... 8 hr Texan 13
News Mark C. Austin, Houston Music's Biggest Fan, Lo... Sat BiggestPharts 1
News Here's why Houston is a top 5 city for millennials Sat TopPharts 1
News Houston's 9 best neighborhood restaurants make ... Mar 24 BestPhartss 1
Hey Stumps...Trump approval now down to 37% Mar 24 josh 8
Trump surveillance by Obama confirmed! Mar 23 josh 3

Deer Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance