DPISD tax increase - for changed to a...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dpmom

Pasadena, TX

#21 Dec 12, 2012
3 YES votes from my house because I care about our students' future.
Teach2012

Deer Park, TX

#22 Dec 12, 2012
Let me begin by saying I do not teach in DPISD. I teach at a neighboring district that has operated on a shoestring budget for several years now. As a resident of Deer Park and the daughter of a DPISD employee, I did my civil duty and early voted. As I walked into the Educational Support Center (which when I was in school it was over on Ivy and called the Administration Building ... That is what that building is after all), I was shocked as to the gross waste of money on display. They must of hired a decorator for all the Christmas decorations!
The high school I work at operates on a "skeleton staff". That means we do not have 10 administrators, unlimited number of secretaries and we definitely do not create positions for family members (which has been mentioned in other threads). We have 6 principals but that's for 4 grade levels but we do not threaten to cut programs or fire teachers either if we don't get tax increases.
Point is, Deer Park needs to stop and look at where the money is being spent. Seems there might be a little too much overhead and too much spending on unnecessary items (really ... check out that Educational Support Center).
As an educator it was difficult to vote no, but I did. Deer Park needs to find ways to budget their money instead of asking me to open my checkbook.
Bankrupt

Deer Park, TX

#23 Dec 12, 2012
VOTER wrote:
<quoted text>Why do they call it Education Support Center?
Because the administration is guilty. They could not justify calling it the "Administration Building" being as big and fancy as it is. They had no way of explaining the overspending of funds on just the administration to DPISD employees so they decided to make so that everyone feels welcome.
But believe me, that is not the case at all!
Votee

United States

#24 Dec 12, 2012
Bankrupt wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the administration is guilty. They could not justify calling it the "Administration Building" being as big and fancy as it is. They had no way of explaining the overspending of funds on just the administration to DPISD employees so they decided to make so that everyone feels welcome.
is it because it is not acceptable to spend bond fund money on just an administration building? So they combined administration w education to more bang for the buck? But is that acceptable?
Bankrupt

Deer Park, TX

#25 Dec 13, 2012
Votee wrote:
<quoted text>is it because it is not acceptable to spend bond fund money on just an administration building? So they combined administration w education to more bang for the buck? But is that acceptable?
No, it is acceptable to spend bond money on an administration building. Every district has an administration building. It is especially acceptable if that is what the bond money is allotted for. However, DPISD's Adminstration building had to be "bigger and fancier". To spend that much money on so few employees is unjustifiable. So to explain the poor misuse of funds, it seems like they needed to say it was for the entire district. Therefore, they renamed it Educational Support Center.
Annuit Coeptis

Pasadena, TX

#26 Dec 16, 2012
Tax election passed by 126 votes...both sides put up a good fight. Some of you have bas information about how the districts funding works and a few other issues also. That misinformation contributes to your negative impression of the district. I feel bad for you on that count. Want to learn the truth or or you happy to be ignorant and angry? AC
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#27 Dec 16, 2012
Annuit Coeptis wrote:
Tax election passed by 126 votes...both sides put up a good fight. Some of you have bas information about how the districts funding works and a few other issues also. That misinformation contributes to your negative impression of the district. I feel bad for you on that count. Want to learn the truth or or you happy to be ignorant and angry? AC
I bet you were an Obama shill. No hard facts to support your position, just accusations, lies, half truths, twist and spin.
winston zeddemore

Pasadena, TX

#28 Dec 16, 2012
dpmom wrote:
3 YES votes from my house because I care about our students' future.
If you cared about your children's future you wouldn't do everything in your power to piss off the very people who have the power to vote in or out, senseless tax hikes like this one. Thinking...it's not your strong suit is it?

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

De Leon, TX

#29 Dec 16, 2012
The DP Forum Teabaggers seem to be on a long losing streak.
really

Houston, TX

#30 Dec 17, 2012
Bankrupt wrote:
<quoted text>
And what about the old admin building that was claimed to be UN-useable? The last I heard it is being used by the port people and others, so much for being old and needed replacement.

The real need was the administration needed a new upscale building so they called it something other than what it really was intended for to pass it on the bond election. Same for the SJE, now the UN-usable building is being considered by the city for an after school facility even though it has been, as reported by the DPISD, classified as unfit for students and the district due to massive maintenance issues. Now we have a new $30 million state of the art elementary school thanks to the ill informed voters. The only good thing is that Robin Hood didn't get any of the bond money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Trump Stumps...Vacation Costs Reach $10 Mil... 5 hr Observer 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 5 hr Soiled pharts 1,120
Job 5 hr Defiant1 90
Hey, Crybaby Liberals... Sat Defiant1 15
Boys and GIRLS Harbor Feb 17 Nu Skin 7
WHERE is Charles Gilliam? Feb 17 Answer 2
Hey Trump Chumps...Trump signs Obamacare someth... Feb 17 josh 7

Deer Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deer Park Mortgages