DPISD tax increase - for changed to a...

DPISD tax increase - for changed to against

Posted in the Deer Park Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nolan

Houston, TX

#1 Nov 28, 2012
I was all for voting for the tax increase, but after walking into the new administration/Education Support Center building my vote immediately went from a for to against the request.

One visit to that building and I find it difficult to believe the district has a real need for more taxes.

The Education Support Center clearly, in my opinion, is a waste of valuable taxes. Its more of a show place than a building of need.

It would be in the same status as the Enron Corporation's building and offices. Wow, what a waste of money. Come to find out they actually have some classes in the rear part of the building for students. I asked why didn't they use the high school and or other buildings and was told they didn't have room in those "other" buildings.

VOTE AGAINST THE TAX INCREASE REQUEST.

One visit to the Education Support Center and I do believe you too will see a tremendous waste of taxes.
dpcitizen

Seabrook, TX

#2 Nov 28, 2012
Taxes

Deer Park, TX

#3 Nov 28, 2012
Our new rates will be $1.50 per 100 dollars.
VOTE NO!
catfish

Houston, TX

#4 Nov 28, 2012
dpcitizen wrote:
http://www.texasisd.com/articl e_131678.shtml
remember a large part of the tax increase will go out to the robin hood bunch so why tax yourself to fund others? Say no. Look at the web site posted, you have to do some real searching to find districts that pay as much as Deer Park. Time to cut the purse strings.
bereal

Seabrook, TX

#5 Nov 28, 2012
Looks like the tax rate has already been changed or corrected according to that website, and we haven't finished our election.
This is why to vote no

Katy, TX

#6 Nov 28, 2012
We are already paying much more than any other school distrct on the list. Vote No.
dpcitizen wrote:
http://www.texasisd.com/articl e_131678.shtml
newrate

Deer Park, TX

#7 Nov 29, 2012
the new rate will $1.50 per $100.00.
dpmom

Seabrook, TX

#8 Nov 29, 2012
I feel for the ones nearing retirement. Their frozen rate will be higher if this passes. Question- if your rate is frozen at say 1.50 and 2 years from now the rate drops to 1.40 would you still have to pay 1.50?
Question - If the taxes go up will it suppress our home values?
newrate

Deer Park, TX

#9 Nov 29, 2012
No one can afford to live in DP if our taxes o up its just that simple. Once your rate is frozen it will never go down.
for realz

Deer Park, TX

#10 Dec 2, 2012
On that list the nearest communities with high tax rates near ours are Galena Park and Dickinson. Those are horrible school districts, so just because the money flows in doesn't mean squat.
notsofast

Deer Park, TX

#11 Dec 2, 2012
DPISD raise tax rate for 2012 about $150.00-$300.00 a year and did not say a word about this tax increase. Now they want to raise the tax rate for 2013 about $200,00-$450.00 a year, which would mean they have gone up about $750.00 a year total when you add 2012 puls 2013 together. Thats avout $60.00 a monthe to your house payment.

VOTE NO! DEC.!5.
Shane

Houston, TX

#12 Dec 4, 2012
For some reason it seems like DPISD is not informing the public about this vote? Could it be they want few to show up thinking they have enough votes to increase the tax if the majority of the public is kept in the dark?

FYI......letter to the editor
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:17 am

Deer Park ISDadministrators not telling the whole story

Deer Park voters started early voting, November 28th, on the proposed Deer Park Independent School District’s tax rate increase with the election set for December 15, 2012. The purpose of my letter is to point out how this proposed annual tax increase of $113 or $9.42 per month will go up whenever Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) increases the property value of homes within DPISD school boundaries.

Also, HCAD can assess values up to a 10% increase annually and if an increase is not assessed for a given year, HCAD can assess up to 20% the following year.

I am concerned that DPISD administrators proposing this tax increase have not mentioned how this tax increase of $8.8 million ($6.4 million DPISD and $2.4 million recaptured by the State finance mechanism) will be spent other than stating “to fund numerous non-core classes and programs,” and “balancing the current budget deficit.” I believe that as voters, we should have received a list of programs that are on the chopping block and how much money will be spent on programs and how much money will be spent on Maintenance and Operation (M&O).

Of the $6.4 million allocated to DPISD, how much is designated for M&O and how much is designated for I&S? Without these figures, if approved by tax payers, tax payers will be signing a blank check to DPISD.

Sincerely,

Robert Garcia, Ph.D.

DPISD Retired
Bereal

Friendswood, TX

#13 Dec 4, 2012
I & S - debt service tax rate.
Plus
M & O - maintenance & operations tax rate.
Equals total DPISD tax rate.

“Perplexed”

Since: Nov 08

Deer Park

#14 Dec 4, 2012
3 no votes from out household...
Annuit Coeptis

Deer Park, TX

#15 Dec 10, 2012
Two yes votes from my household, tough votes to cast, but I vote YES to support our schools.

Dr. Bobby - that list of programs potentially on the chopping block doesnt exist yet...no need to put the cart before the horse...that list will likely be developed quickly if the election fails.

And isn't it interesting how Dr. Bobby would have voted FOR this election when he was employed at DPISD, because it likely would have meant a big, fat raise for him next summer. Now that he is retired and does not stand to benefit immediately and directly, he is misdirecting folks towards how HCAD can raise your taxes (even if the District doesnt raise the rate)...what a chameleon.

NewRate - taxes don't get frozen at age 65, they get capped, so they can (and have in the past) go down, they just can't rise above the cap.

AC, an informed taxpayer
Voter

Houston, TX

#16 Dec 10, 2012
Even though I wouldn't vote for the tax increase I could almost understand why some would. The thing that kills the deal for me is the fact that a quarter or better of the increase wont even go to Deer Park! How anyone in their right mind could vote for it knowing that is beyond me!!!
Voter

United States

#17 Dec 10, 2012
Hey AC,
How much of the $6.4 million will go to M&O and how much will go to I&S?
Votee

United States

#18 Dec 10, 2012
"To calculate the effective M&O rate, school districts are directed to use a state aid template developed at Region 13 Education Service Center. The debt service portion of the rollback tax rate is the current year’s debt payments divided by the current year’s property values. The debt service tax rate (I&S) may rise as high as necessary to cover qualified debt expenses."
U of H 01

Spring, TX

#19 Dec 12, 2012
DPISD has been in a leadership freefall for several years now. The fiscal irresponsibility is devastating our district. When asked about the work done to Abshire stadium and the new administration building (let's call it what it really is), I was told that it was "bond money" and that if "we don't spend it, we will lose it". While this is true, there is nothing that says just because you have it available, you have to spend it. Let me explain something to the Ed's in charge -- if you don't spend it....you don't increase your debt and the debt load is where the problem lies.
My wife is a current DPISD employee and is furious over this tax increase -- she is voting no. I have other relatives that are current and retired DPISD employees and they are voting likewise. If you can't get the people that will directly benefit from the taxes to support the increase....you have a real problem.
On a different note, why are students not allowed to use the front doors at the South Campus and the custodians told to not use the front doors at the new admin building? Sounds like someone is too worried about their image.
UH01
VOTER

United States

#20 Dec 12, 2012
U of H 01 wrote:
DPISD has been in a leadership freefall for several years now. The fiscal irresponsibility is devastating our district. When asked about the work done to Abshire stadium and the new administration building (let's call it what it really is), I was told that it was "bond money" and that if "we don't spend it, we will lose it". While this is true, there is nothing that says just because you have it available, you have to spend it. Let me explain something to the Ed's in charge -- if you don't spend it....you don't increase your debt and the debt load is where the problem lies.
My wife is a current DPISD employee and is furious over this tax increase -- she is voting no. I have other relatives that are current and retired DPISD employees and they are voting likewise. If you can't get the people that will directly benefit from the taxes to support the increase....you have a real problem.
On a different note, why are students not allowed to use the front doors at the South Campus and the custodians told to not use the front doors at the new admin building? Sounds like someone is too worried about their image.
UH01
Why do they call it Education Support Center?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm bored! Tell me a joke! (May '13) 4 hr josh 40
Jerry Mouton & John Moon both endorsed by Conse... Mon ThisPharrts 18
News Texas Man, 37, Charged In 2002 Double Slaying (Oct '14) Mon Lol 13
2020 Lamar Drive (Sep '08) Mon And Phart 54
homeless people in cars at walmart Apr 23 PerhapsPharts 12
Job Apr 22 Defiant1 178
Hey Trump Chumps...your boy lost his aircraft c... Apr 21 whatsamattayou 9

Deer Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance