heard about a city policy.... cell phone use

Posted in the Deer Park Forum

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Aug 23, 2012

Since: Aug 12

Lumberton, TX

#1 Aug 16, 2012
Heard that all city employees are not to be on there cell phones while operating any city equipment/vehicles. How many of you notice how any city workers are on there phone while driving city vehicles,riding the lawn mowers. Wonder if the city actually does anything to the employees.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

#2 Aug 16, 2012
Seems like it would be hard to talk on the phone while riding a lawnmower.
Jedi

Deer Park, TX

#3 Aug 16, 2012
That policy is in effect. But, does not apply to employees were a cell phone is the main form of communication such as police and some department directors. All other employees are not to be on cell phone while operating city vehicles. It won't be enforced until enough people complain or an accident occurs because the employee was talking on phone.
Joan

Pasadena, TX

#4 Aug 16, 2012
That is kinda funny, since the city council decided to not put up the signs and enforce the talking on cell phones in school zones.
Get a Life
#5 Aug 16, 2012
Do you people have nothing better to do with your lives? Here's an idea, call city hall to complain while YOU'RE driving.
When I was a field sales rep my company had a policy against talking on the phone while driving but my boss would write me up for not answering HIS calls. Maybe these city employees are in the same situation.
Question Mark
#6 Aug 16, 2012
Joan wrote:
That is kinda funny, since the city council decided to not put up the signs and enforce the talking on cell phones in school zones.
Why is that funny?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#7 Aug 17, 2012
I see DP police officers on their cellphones while driving all the time and yes, I have seen a man on the cell phone while mowing the lawn . . . . As long as you can do it safely I dont really see a problem.

Since: Oct 09

Pasadena, TX

#8 Aug 17, 2012
Joan wrote:
This is actually a State Law now and doesn't require there to be a sign posted. I recenty hired Mr. Bradshaw to represent my daughter who was driving in Pasadena on her cell phone with no sign posted on the school zone sign and I was under the impression that it had to be posted, Mr. Bradshaw said it doesn't. Now, maybe DPPD doesn't inforce it as Pasadena does but it is a State Law now.

Pasadena, TX

#9 Aug 17, 2012
Correction: That was Enforce, not Inforce!!! Don't want the spelling police on me!!
Huh

Spring, TX

#10 Aug 18, 2012
nofoolin wrote:
Correction: That was Enforce, not Inforce!!! Don't want the spelling police on me!!
Another correction... the state law does require a sign to be in place, just look up HB55 and see for yourself.
Got a Life

Missouri City, TX

#11 Aug 18, 2012
Get a Life wrote:
Do you people have nothing better to do with your lives? Here's an idea, call city hall to complain while YOU'RE driving.
When I was a field sales rep my company had a policy against talking on the phone while driving but my boss would write me up for not answering HIS calls. Maybe these city employees are in the same situation.
Do you have nothing better to do with your life than to read the posts on this forum and respond to those that you think don't have a life because they voice their opinion on the forum?

Now, ANSWER MY CALLS PROMPTLY OR YOU'RE FIRED!

Pasadena, TX

#12 Aug 18, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text> Another correction... the state law does require a sign to be in place, just look up HB55 and see for yourself.
I Guess Bradshaw was incorrect. I'm no attorney so all I have to go on is what I was told. At any rate my daughters ticket was taken off her record without Defensive Driving for a minimal price!
Question

Deer Park, TX

#13 Aug 20, 2012
nofoolin wrote:
<quoted text>
This is actually a State Law now and doesn't require there to be a sign posted. I recenty hired Mr. Bradshaw to represent my daughter who was driving in Pasadena on her cell phone with no sign posted on the school zone sign and I was under the impression that it had to be posted, Mr. Bradshaw said it doesn't. Now, maybe DPPD doesn't inforce it as Pasadena does but it is a State Law now.
All school zones in Pasadena that I pass thru have signs. I question if she was under the age of 18 or was in a in school crossing zone at the time.

Pasadena, TX

#14 Aug 20, 2012
Question wrote:
<quoted text> All school zones in Pasadena that I pass thru have signs. I question if she was under the age of 18 or was in a in school crossing zone at the time.
No she was not under the age of 18 and I'm not sure exactly where she was but she did say there was no sign posted, and yes she is trustworthy for those of you who are undoubtedly going to expect that she isn't. So I was going to fight it and that's when Bradshaw told me it was not a requirment to have a sign posted.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

Gorman, TX

#15 Aug 20, 2012
Unless things have changed recently, the law states that signs must be posted to enforce this particular law. A loophole in the law allowed cities not to post signs.

Even though the intent of the law is clear, in places like Deer Park that refuse to post signs, the law is not in effect.
Get a Life

La Porte, TX

#16 Aug 23, 2012
Got a Life wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have nothing better to do with your life than to read the posts on this forum and respond to those that you think don't have a life because they voice their opinion on the forum?
Now, ANSWER MY CALLS PROMPTLY OR YOU'RE FIRED!
Obviously not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Main 101 Grill and Bar always on the Edge even ... 9 min rdos 2
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Liberal forever 17,867
Three-month-old baby hospitalized with burns an... 3 hr Liberal forever 58
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 5 hr Gasman 22,276
Darwinism in Arizona 7 hr Just Saying 3
Youth Wrestling coming to La Porte! 12 hr obeylaws 22
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) Thu Gasman 663
•••

Deer Park News Video

•••
•••

Deer Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000