School tax passed by 126
knowledge

Deer Park, TX

#22 Dec 18, 2012
sdjs wrote:
I have contacted the Texas Ethics Commission about this election due to an email blast sent out to parents about election from a teacher. Will post when I get a response.
If the teacher is a voter in the district and the email was sent from their personal rather than school email...you have no foot to stand on.
knowledge

Deer Park, TX

#23 Dec 18, 2012
Andrea wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think it would kill property taxes in Pasadena or Deer Park or both? How do cuts kill property values? And who is "they"?
the facts are that if this had not passed then the only thing left for the district to do was to cut programs. DPISD has already done the normal cost cutting measures that businesses do in tough times. The state funding changes caused an 8 million dollar deficit.

the only way to fix it is to either raise the taxes or cut everything that the state doesn't require.

the reason the property values in deer park are what they are is the combination of local industry and a good school district. The cuts that would have to be made if this had failed would make DPISD a bargain basement district with virtually no programs at all above elementary school. It would gut the schools completely. Deer park minus it's quality schools equals a severe property value drop.
knowledge2

Houston, TX

#24 Dec 18, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
If the teacher is a voter in the district and the email was sent from their personal rather than school email...you have no foot to stand on.
Mine came from the school, so do I have solid footing? I would think so.
Winston Zeddemore

Pasadena, TX

#25 Dec 18, 2012
Annuit Coeptis wrote:
<quoted text>
sdjs, you do that, good luck with your whiny little complaint. Sounds like sour grapes to me...
Sounds like someone who taunts their opponent mercilessly when they win, pee their britches and cry foul to the ethics commission when they lose...what a weasel.
AC
AC- sounds like you have been looking in the mirror a bit too much.
Winston Zeddemore

Pasadena, TX

#26 Dec 18, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
the facts are that if this had not passed then the only thing left for the district to do was to cut programs. DPISD has already done the normal cost cutting measures that businesses do in tough times. The state funding changes caused an 8 million dollar deficit.
the only way to fix it is to either raise the taxes or cut everything that the state doesn't require.
the reason the property values in deer park are what they are is the combination of local industry and a good school district. The cuts that would have to be made if this had failed would make DPISD a bargain basement district with virtually no programs at all above elementary school. It would gut the schools completely. Deer park minus it's quality schools equals a severe property value drop.
"the facts are that if this had not passed then the only thing left for the district to do was to cut programs."

That is what should have been done first! You take care of your own house before making me do it! If I can't afford to pay my bills, the first thing I do is cut my budget. Why is this so hard for governments and school districts to do. I will tell you why, because people will sell their souls for a little convenience and for little johnny to be able to play with laptops that outdate every two years and for johnny not to have to learn how to read books or write in cursive. Oh, and the teachers get a raised based on forced taxation to boot. Well excuse me but I can't go force a raise out of my customers, how come you do? Deer Parkians, you got hosed.
Bang

Deer Park, TX

#27 Dec 18, 2012
DPISD over spends, we are not getting the bang for our dollar that we should be getting from the people in charge of our school district.
wonder

Pasadena, TX

#28 Dec 18, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the district is a little top heavy? I also liked the idea of carnac, charge the out of district students a fee to particpate in some of these programs. Why should I pick up the tab? It is almost like the state version of Robin Hood.
Bang

Deer Park, TX

#29 Dec 18, 2012
Our scoold board needs to unstand they are spending tax payer money and it ok to say NO
to they school district.

“Perplexed”

Since: Nov 08

Deer Park

#30 Dec 18, 2012
knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
School email.

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

#31 Dec 18, 2012
Annuit Coeptis wrote:
<quoted text>
sdjs, you do that, good luck with your whiny little complaint. Sounds like sour grapes to me...
Sounds like someone who taunts their opponent mercilessly when they win, pee their britches and cry foul to the ethics commission when they lose...what a weasel.
AC
Weasel? Is that the best you've got? How funny. You've made my day!!!!! Lol

Since: Jul 08

Deer Park

#32 Dec 18, 2012
SDJS, I am familiar with the Hatch Act which governs federal government employees participation in partisan elections (any vote including a candidate with a party title, such as Republican, Democrat, Reform, Green...)

This elections was non-partisan and the teacher is a non-federal employee, so the Hatch Act is not applicable.

I do not know of any laws that would prevent a teacher from doing this (I will not pretend to be a lawyer, unlike half the internet, so there may be a law that applies here). Are you aware of one?(I know you don't claim to be a lawyer either, so I am not saying that you have to know one, presumably that is why you contacted the ethics commission.)

I support the tax increase, but if a teacher used their school e-mail that is improper. I assume the teacher will get in trouble, but I doubt it will overturn the election, if that is what you are hoping for.

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

#33 Dec 18, 2012
Mostly Worthless wrote:
SDJS, I am familiar with the Hatch Act which governs federal government employees participation in partisan elections (any vote including a candidate with a party title, such as Republican, Democrat, Reform, Green...)
This elections was non-partisan and the teacher is a non-federal employee, so the Hatch Act is not applicable.
I do not know of any laws that would prevent a teacher from doing this (I will not pretend to be a lawyer, unlike half the internet, so there may be a law that applies here). Are you aware of one?(I know you don't claim to be a lawyer either, so I am not saying that you have to know one, presumably that is why you contacted the ethics commission.)
I support the tax increase, but if a teacher used their school e-mail that is improper. I assume the teacher will get in trouble, but I doubt it will overturn the election, if that is what you are hoping for.
Not at all. I thought it was improper as well. I contacted them due to the following link. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Perhaps I'm reading the code and the questions and answers in the link wrong.

http://www.tasb.org/legislative/documents/pol...

"School district employees and officials cannot use public funds, directly or indirectly, for political advertising to advocate for or against a candidate or measure that will appear on a ballot. Tex. Elec. Code 251.001(16) & 255.003(a). In the school district context, this law most commonly prohibits the use of public funds to support particular candidates (including incumbents seeking reelection), school district bond elections, and school district tax elections.
Political advertising means a communication supporting or opposing a candidate or a measure that, in return for consideration, is published in a newspaper or other periodical or is broadcast by radio or television; or appears in a pamphlet, circular, flier, billboard or other sign, bumper sticker, or similar form of written communication; or on a Web site. Tex. Elec. Code 251.001(16). The Texas Ethics Commission, which is the state agency that oversees the implementation of this provision, interprets the prohibition broadly. According to the Commission, even the conduct of a meeting on public property involves an indirect use of public funds. Board members and school employees who violate this prohibition could face fines or criminal penalties; violations can also jeopardize the validity of the election."
Stumped

Houston, TX

#34 Dec 18, 2012
Mostly Worthless wrote:
Its likely that the teacher signed a notice not to use the school system for personal mail. If they did and violated such an agreement then they could be at risk to be terminated. Many such agreements have that as written policy, not sure about the school. Or, maybe the super had asked teachers to send them out and that would obviously be a severe violation.

Rumor has it that such emails were sent to the parents of those who were in elective programs only and not the core only students parents. That in it self would seem to be a real problem for the district.
yooflungpoo

Houston, TX

#35 Dec 18, 2012
sdjs wrote:
<quoted text>Weasel? Is that the best you've got? How funny. You've made my day!!!!! Lol
all your seats full @teatime???
Stumped

Houston, TX

#36 Dec 18, 2012
yooflungpoo wrote:
<quoted text>
all your seats full @teatime???
Maybe you should stay home, u would have nothing to contribute.
DPmom

Pasadena, TX

#37 Dec 18, 2012
Stumped wrote:
<quoted text>Its likely that the teacher signed a notice not to use the school system for personal mail. If they did and violated such an agreement then they could be at risk to be terminated. Many such agreements have that as written policy, not sure about the school. Or, maybe the super had asked teachers to send them out and that would obviously be a severe violation.

Rumor has it that such emails were sent to the parents of those who were in elective programs only and not the core only students parents. That in it self would seem to be a real problem for the district.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a violation if the email was information on the election and not persuasion to vote yes. Did the email give the opinion to vote one way or another? If so, then it would certainly be a violation.
Annuit Coeptis

Pasadena, TX

#38 Dec 18, 2012
Winston Zeddemore wrote:
<quoted text>
AC- sounds like you have been looking in the mirror a bit too much.
Winston, you are right, and I apologize. I was gloating a little, and that is very unbecoming and ungentlemanly. Depending on your current position in life, some folks had good, valid reasons to vote NO. Most of the reasons I have read on Topix lately are badly ill informed or just outright angry. And it is just too easy these days to get well informed. Again, my apologies.
AC
Annuit Coeptis

Pasadena, TX

#39 Dec 18, 2012
DPmom wrote:
<quoted text>
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a violation if the email was information on the election and not persuasion to vote yes. Did the email give the opinion to vote one way or another? If so, then it would certainly be a violation.
I believe the email in question said something to the effect of "don't forget to vote on Saturday, important election for the future direction of the district" but I don't think it said vote yes or vote no or anything else of a leading nature...
AC
Annuit Coeptis

Pasadena, TX

#40 Dec 18, 2012
wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the district is a little top heavy? I also liked the idea of carnac, charge the out of district students a fee to particpate in some of these programs. Why should I pick up the tab? It is almost like the state version of Robin Hood.
wonder, if you charged the out of district students any tuition, you lose all credit for them in state funding and Robin Hood credit, so that's not a good plan. That's how state funding has worked for Texas school for 20 years. AC
Annuit Coeptis

Pasadena, TX

#41 Dec 18, 2012
sdjs wrote:
<quoted text>Weasel? Is that the best you've got? How funny. You've made my day!!!!! Lol
No my friend, I got a lot more than that, but I will just leave it at weasel and move on... Lets at least keep some semblance of civility here. No need to get off color or vulgar.
AC

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BEWARE of Stores using Certegy Check Approval l... (Mar '10) 6 hr Pineapple farts 34
Long lost sister Mon Your farts 4
Job (Dec '16) Mon Farts I Leave 324
Am searching Sun Guest Farter 2
List of Obama's sealed and unreleased records (Mar '12) Jul 19 Having sharts 129
observer/fubar have destroyed this forum Jul 14 Grossest farts 15
Forum Destruction Sequence Initiated Jul 14 News Farts 3

Deer Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deer Park Mortgages