Changes in the fire department
Ecc

Pasadena, TX

#41 Nov 7, 2012
1dpopinion. Ok I respect your opinion. That being said I think we should continue this trend you describe and allow others a vehicle to since they "deserve" it as well sooooo. Mr mayor you attend meetings and represent the city...free vehicle at your disposal, you too mr city manager ohh lets not orget all those council members thy o o meetings and conferences and events free cars for them too. Oh and then they can take them home with them and park it at their place of employment such as the mayors insurance place just in case he needs o be called out.. Get ready folks start budgeting or higher taxes to suppor his theory that 1dpopinion has.
yooflungpoo

Houston, TX

#42 Nov 7, 2012
Ecc wrote:
So far 1 other peron has agreed with my point about response vehicles staying in a Parkin lot at work not doing anyone any good but the driver of the truck himself. Lets put a number to this lets say he travel only 6 miles a day for work lets not include any other driving I.e lunch runs etc. He drives a gasoline powered truck. Gas is $3.11 per gallon. The truck does 14 miles per gallon city . So in 2 days he's wasted almost $6 city dollars . In one calendar week that's almost $21 a week. 21x let's say half a year just to give him benefit of the doubt that his truck isn't used everyday which it almost is= 3,832.50. Remember this is just including 1 truck at 6 miles per day for half a year.
Assuming that Greg lives in Deer Park you would be hard-pressed to find more than 6 miles between any two traveling points.

Greg works a 4on-4off rotating shift which basically means that he works half the year or 182 days LESS vacation. He probably has 5 weeks accrued so you can subtract another 20 days... leaving you with 162 days. Let's say that he travels another 8 times(and that's probably generous) on scheduled off days for supervisor meetings for a rounded 170 days per year.

170 days @ 12 miles per day equals 2040 miles traveled.

2040 miles traveled @14gpm equals 146 gallons consumed.

146 gallons @ an average of $3.30/gallon(19 cents more than current price)... equals a whopping $480/ year...

if you included those lunch runs.... he'd have to run to Maine for lobster or maybe Hawaii for pineapple... for your numbers to remotely add up...

besides he has a company truck for that....
1dpopinion

Pearland, TX

#43 Nov 8, 2012
Well the city manager is provided a vehicle and so are some of the city workers. I'm not sure if council members get mileage pay or not. However , if you go back to the first post this thread has nothing to do with vehicle benefits of city employees. This pertains to a call made were someone passed away that was sick and the family felt there was some wrong doing and inappropriate behavior. So no need to discuss your topic when someone's life was "taken" short according to the family.
What Now

Haslet, TX

#44 Nov 8, 2012
1dpOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
The chief is the only one with a dedicated vehicle. The others share their vehicles whenever they are on duty. I.e. there are a cpl of EMS Supervisors so they share the expedition (or whatever it is). The chief is given the vehicle because he does go to calls, he attends meetings, holds classes, etc. representing the FD. I think with his rank and amount of time he puts in for the FD he deserves to have a vehicle at his disposal.
so should the PD be allowed to drive their vehicles home too?
dpcitizen

Houston, TX

#45 Nov 8, 2012
Good to see they finally put the new cop cars on the road. They only sat up collecting dust for over half a year at the maintenance department. When the next round of new ones come in i hope they do better at getting them on the road faster.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

De Leon, TX

#46 Nov 8, 2012
It must be very satisfying work for teachers, firemen, police, and city council to serve the appreciative citizens of Deer Park.
1dpOpinion

United States

#47 Nov 8, 2012
Hezekiah wrote:
It must be very satisfying work for teachers, firemen, police, and city council to serve the appreciative citizens of Deer Park.
Those are people you should be appreciative of, Hez. Oh I guess maybe not the teachers, I read on here you're not educated! Zzzing
1dpOpinion

United States

#48 Nov 8, 2012
What Now wrote:
<quoted text>so should the PD be allowed to drive their vehicles home too?
It is proven that when police cars are noticeable it decreases crime.

“I don't believe in mathematics”

Since: Aug 08

De Leon, TX

#49 Nov 9, 2012
1dpOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are people you should be appreciative of, Hez. Oh I guess maybe not the teachers, I read on here you're not educated! Zzzing
This forum would indicate that Deer Park teachers are not very effective. However, I realize they don't have much to work with.
Happen

Houston, TX

#50 Nov 27, 2012
Have most of the volunteers on the EMS side left the department? What exactly made this happen?
Citizen Kane

Houston, TX

#51 Nov 27, 2012
Fed Up wrote:
I often read Topix but haven't made a comment in years, however, after reading such outlandish remarks about the fire dept and fire chief I feel compelled to respond. First of all our fire department is volunteer, and yes they are measly compensated monthly which is grossly under wage for the work they do. They spend time away from their families to help our great city and most importantly you!
Wait a minute. They're volunteers. No one makes them work. They don't rely on the FD to support their family. It's their choice.

The tax payers still pay to support these services. Therefore they have a right to discuss what goes on or whether or not they like certain policies.

This in no ways is disrespectful to those that volunteer in the FD. However, it does not give them special privileges, other than those approved.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#52 Nov 27, 2012
Ecc wrote:
But hey if you are ok with paying this through your taxes that is fine. I am not. Not for those few times that he may ge called out of work to respond.
Yes I can live with it. It is a SMALL price to pay. You have NO clue what it would cost US as city residents to pay for a full time Chief and FD. So chalk this up as a small price for a guy that VOLUNTEERS his time. Give it a rest people. Find something else to gripe about.
Which Ones

Deer Park, TX

#53 Nov 28, 2012
The EMS side is staffed with both paid employees and non paid volunteers. So if a problem really did occur, not sure and cannot tell from this thread, which ones caused the problem? A paid employee or a non paid volunteer? How serious was the problem? Wreck or what?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#54 Dec 5, 2012
What Now wrote:
<quoted text>so should the PD be allowed to drive their vehicles home too?
Yes, they should, with restrictions. Police cars in neighborhoods increase visibility.
Andrea

Houston, TX

#55 Dec 6, 2012
empireboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they should, with restrictions. Police cars in neighborhoods increase visibility.
And so do lights, glasses, and a good scope :)
Who Dat

Deer Park, TX

#56 Dec 9, 2012
Dallas Cowboys still suck wrote:
IF YOU WANT TO VENT THATS FINE BUT ATLEAST KNOW WHAT YOU'RE VENTING ABOUT. YOU SAID YOURSELF YOU DON'T KNOW ALL THE DETAILS. AS far as the Chief's taking home and work their response vehicles, it is so when your house is on fire or your medical emergency occurs they can respond quickly and direct the responding Units to where they need to be. It's more structured that way. Heck they beat the ambulances to the scene sometimes. I don't think they use the response vehicles for free gas or any other perk being that they work in the same dam town. If there personal vehicle has that bad of gas mileage then they need to trade it in. The Chief is a working man and does so to support his family. He doesn't get paid a dime for being a Fire Chief for a municipality. He has alot on his plate already. So wait till you get the facts before you starting running your mouth.
Cale?
Ewww

Pasadena, TX

#57 Dec 10, 2012
Randy
Ewww

Pasadena, TX

#58 Dec 10, 2012
?
stepford wife

West Monroe, LA

#59 Dec 11, 2012
wow so much ado in a 2 square mile area....
dp sounds like quite the "peyton place town"
arm chair quarterback all you want- it is quite easy to call the shots when you take NO responsibility nor does your" volunteer" time amount to a quarter of the time that has been vested by the current administration.

When you are responsible...you are the target of many
as you follow the code and the rules.
Maybe you should act like the adults you are and honor the code that you have pledged instead of making this personal- because from an outsiders view ...this is not about policy and procedure it is PERSONAL.
BIGJROD61

Pasadena, TX

#60 Dec 12, 2012
100 % agree with stepford wife.

Very well stated!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am the Fart king 1 hr Fart Leader 4
NANCY PELOSI said 5 hr Fart Snack 8
homeless people in cars at walmart (Feb '17) 14 hr Taste the farts 31
deocrats will shut the government down Mon You Farted Again 15
News Trucks To Be Banned From Washburn Tunnel (Oct '08) Sun ROAD FART 8
TRUMP is correct Jan 19 Election Farts 24
Lpbba coaches on crack Jan 19 Coach Fart 2

Deer Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance