Updated EPA Lead Testing Regs. for private homes built before 1978.

Posted in the Deer Park Forum

Ippolit

Houston, TX

#1 Sep 5, 2010
Thinking of having a contractor out to do some repair work on your older home? You just might be required to get the lead out if you do.

Yesterday we went to purchase carpeting for a downstairs bedroom from Lowes. While the order was being written the salesperson stated that there would be a 16.00 charge for a lead testing procedure in houses built prior to 1978 and thatthis procedure would be done when they came out to measure the room.
I asked what this was for and I was told they were required to test because of a new EPA guideline and "had to check the concrete for lead."

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/e77f... !OpenDocument

Seems like the EPA says that over the years lead dust from paint could settle in your carpet and concrete slab and therefore new protections are needed to protect the children of America.

So, if you own a home built before 1978 a lead testing procedure must be performed by a LEAD SAFE CERTIFIED contractor. This testing is required on a wide range of home remodeling jobs including window replacements.

Previously, owner-occupants of homes built before 1978 could certify that no child six years of age or younger or pregnant woman was living in the home and "opt-out" of having their contractors follow lead-safe work practices in their homes. On April 23, 2010, to better prevent against lead paint poisoning, EPA issued a final rule to apply lead-safe work practices to most pre-1978 homes, effectively closing the exemption. The rule eliminating the opt-out provision became effective July 6, 2010.

If lead is found it must be cleaned up according to EPA regulations, this requires contractors to have special training at about a couple of hundred bucks each employee, purchase specialized equipment and of course charge the customer for the additional cost.

I can only imagine what the cost of "lead removal and cleanup" would add to the cost of a roomful of carpet or any other minor remodel job or repair work done in a pre-1978 home if the lead test kit finds some lead dust.

For more information from the EPA:

http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/regulation.htm

Good luck to you.

“Candor for the few”

Since: Nov 08

Deer Park

#2 Sep 5, 2010
Just buy the carpet, take it home and hire an Illegal to install it. Not only will they do it cheaper, they won't worry about the other laws... after all, they broke the law when they came here.
No Taxes

Pasadena, TX

#3 Sep 5, 2010
Then all houses built before 1978 should have a zero apprasial value and pay no taxes.

If ones sells/buys a house built before 1978 is it tested for lead?

“Trying to be civil with idiots”

Since: Oct 09

Sarajevo, Bosnia

#4 Sep 7, 2010
I ran into this recently at Lowes. I was remodeling a home in pasadena and needed new carpet. They gave me the lead spill and i just walked out. Went to a carpet outlet on 45 and got the same exact carpet ( brand, color etc) for 30% less and they never even said anything about lead. also lowes had a 2 week wait and these guys showed up the next day and did a fabulous job.
Bill S

Middletown, NY

#5 Mar 16, 2014
When to Low's for carpet and installation the told me I would need a lead test because my house was built in 1968 and the EPA required it and the test cost $85. Then I went to Home Depot and they did not even know what I was talking about even after the call their home office. I went to two other carpet stores and they also did require any lead test..
Eugene Lavender

Charlotte, NC

#6 Aug 12, 2014
The problem is this fee is charged because they can according to EPA but no testing is done my installers or estimators. Thus its just another add on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deer Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deer Park man tattoos baby on his FACE! Really! 10 hr fubar 12
Baltimore, Freddy Gray's surgery 10 hr fubar 10
Murder in South Carolina 10 hr fubar 50
Debate: Health Care - Deer Park, TX (Oct '09) 14 hr Fart cushion 16,761
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 14 hr Field of Farts 819
Future Friends of Deer Park Apr 29 fart elect 6
Shame on you, Deer Park city council (Oct '13) Apr 27 Email Farts 18
More from around the web

Deer Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]