|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

This is from my FB dated 2/7/13
My kids have been running for the City of Deer Park for 4 yrs. This summer would have been 5. But it's not about just my kids, approx. 100 kids enter the city track program each yr and approx. 20 make it all the way to the state level Games of Texas. We have some of the best coaches anyone could ever hope for. One has put in 26 yrs with the city track program, another one 16 yrs and another 4 yrs. Not only do they work city track they are also coaches for various other schools and have been at those jobs for many yrs. Recently these coaches have been given some tough news: take a cut in pay and a cut in hrs. As to be expected they are weighing all their options. My heart breaks knowing these coaches may not return to help those kids who dream about running. Praying diligently that the meeting next week will bring compromise and the return of all 3 coaches!
Andrea

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

From my FB dated today 2/13.
Update on the summer track coaches. 2 of the 3 coaches were able to make the meeting, along with the director of Parks & Rec, and a few other employees within that department. It doesn't sound like any of them are returning from the text I received from one of the coaches. The city didn't budge, no new compromise was met. I don't blame the coaches for not wanting to take a cut in pay and in hrs. I don't blame them for not accepting more responsibilities for less pay either. What an insult to the coaches that have been there, 26, 16 and 4 yrs. I had a meeting with the asst city mgr and Parks & Rec director last week painting a picture for them from a parents point of view. What I said above about it being an insult to the coaches to lower their pay and their hrs after all the yrs they have dedicated to the program, don't worry I'm not saying anything they haven't already heard straight from me. I was tactful, but they need to understand the cold hard facts. Our city's priorities are so out
of line with what makes sense!! Lets dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into a city ran restaurant (the Republic Grill) which has never turned a profit. City council plans every yr to lose thousands when they budget for that failing restaurant. Many of YOUR council members are completely on board with the money pit. If they sit there in silence I safely assume they are just fine with the huge loss. Every yr we hold an election. This yr it's Position 1,2,3 and mayor. Get to know the candidates and incumbents and please go VOTE!!!!!

“Perplexed”

Since: Nov 08

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

SHAME on the City!!!!!!

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Judged:

The more I think about this, the more I get ticked. Pour wasteful spending into senseless survey's, golf course, etc and can't even afford to pay these fine coaches. Ridiculous. Shame on the P & R Director for not honoring these teachers or the parents/students who love this program. Mr. Burgess would not have let this happen on his watch. Good luck with the La Porte group. All of y'all should go there.
Andrea

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Burgess and Linda Darby did an outstanding job with the program.
Voter

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Andrea wrote:
Update on the summer track coaches. 2 of the 3 coaches were able to make the meeting, along with the director of Parks & Rec, and a few other employees within that department. It doesn't sound like any of them are returning from the text I received from one of the coaches. The city didn't budge, no new compromise was met. I don't blame the coaches for not wanting to take a cut in pay and in hrs. I don't blame them for not accepting more responsibilities for less pay either. What an insult to the coaches that have been there, 26, 16 and 4 yrs. I had a meeting with the asst city mgr and Parks & Rec director last week painting a picture for them from a parents point of view. What I said above about it being an insult to the coaches to lower their pay and their hrs after all the yrs they have dedicated to the program, don't worry I'm not saying anything they haven't already heard straight from me. I was tactful, but they need to understand the cold hard facts. Our city's priorities are so out
of line with what makes sense!! Lets dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into a city ran restaurant (the Republic Grill) which has never turned a profit. City council plans every yr to lose thousands when they budget for that failing restaurant. Many of YOUR council members are completely on board with the money pit. If they sit there in silence I safely assume they are just fine with the huge loss. Every yr we hold an election. This yr it's Position 1,2,3 and mayor. Get to know the candidates and incumbents and please go VOTE!!!!!
I'll simplify it for the sheeple...VOTE ALL INCUMBENTS OUT!!!
YOU SCREWED THE POOCH LAST ELECTION DON'T DO THE SAME AGAIN111

“Candor for the few”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

So, where is the city suppose to get the money to keep paying these guys? They have a golf course to maintain. Do you think they should add another 1/4 cent sales tax so the tourist can support the program?
Who Dat

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Andrea wrote:
So did you get both sides of the story or are just going off of one? I don't see where you mentioned you did yet you feel qualified to make a judgement based on one side. Is this the same fairness you would have used if you had been elected to council? Shame on you!

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Who Dat wrote:
<quoted text>
So did you get both sides of the story or are just going off of one? I don't see where you mentioned you did yet you feel qualified to make a judgement based on one side. Is this the same fairness you would have used if you had been elected to council? Shame on you!
Shame on you, and screw you. If you really cared about this program you would use your real name, like Andrea and myself, Shelley. Grow a pair and quit hiding behind these asinine names. Drop by for some tea and let's discuss it. Oh, I forgot, nobody ever takes me up on my offer...
Who Dat 2

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

sdjs wrote:
<quoted text>Shame on you, and screw you. If you really cared about this program you would use your real name, like Andrea and myself, Shelley. Grow a pair and quit hiding behind these asinine names. Drop by for some tea and let's discuss it. Oh, I forgot, nobody ever takes me up on my offer...
I don't see anywhere that Who Dat claims to care about this program.(S)he had a valid question that has yet to be answered. I know that I don't give a damn about this program, Andrea, or you. People bitch nonstop about funding programs that are used by just a fraction of the citizens of Deer Park, and yet here's a program that affects 100 kids a year and all hell's breaking loose. I guess that the deciding factor is whether or not a program is used by somebody you know, huh? With two-faced thinking like that, I for one am glad that Andrea lost the last election. I will continue to cast my vote and advise others to cast theirs for anybody but Andrea. As for your tea, thanks but no thanks.
Death Starr

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Who Dat wrote:
<quoted text>
Read post #2; she had a meeting with the city, I would call that getting both sides of the story. Shame on your sorry ass, its clear that you are one sided.
yooflungpoo

La Porte, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

sounds like a bunch of greedy coaches to me....
Andrea

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

I said I had a meeting with the city on my FB post, you didn't see that?

I was asked by someone to put my FB posts on topix. I agreed and felt it would be good to shed some light and hopefully since most council members read Topix, perhaps they will find a way to KEEP these great coaches.

I got both sides of the story. When I was done talking I asked them if they had anything to add and I asked if they had any questions for me. Only a few things were said.
1)They had given them 2 options, remain contract or become city employees (no details were given).
2)I was NEVER told the budget for the program was cut, only the employee classification was the issue. The classification they offered meant a cut in pay. 3)It was suggested they have another meeting with the coaches.
They had no more comments or questions for me.

The coaches really only had 1 option, become city employee so they could continue to transport kids in a city van that are less fortunate to have the funds to have their entire family attend the big meets. However, that option meant a cut in pay which they can't afford either.

I will say it again I would be insulted if my pay was cut. In 26 yrs that coach has seen about 2600 kids go through the program and approximately 200 make it to the big events. Sometimes these kids get scholarships that help them go on and run for a college. I want my tax dollars to help KEEP these experienced coaches.

It is EASY to stand up for what I feel is right. I believe it is RIGHT to find a way NOT to cut their pay. If I don't get a future vote from you I understand and when you tell others not to vote for me, make sure you mention that.... Andrea doesn't sit idly by, she gathers her facts, and she is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in... but you really don't like that in a candidate and find it shameful.
PeeWee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Who Dat 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see anywhere that Who Dat claims to care about this program.(S)he had a valid question that has yet to be answered. I know that I don't give a damn about this program, Andrea, or you. People bitch nonstop about funding programs that are used by just a fraction of the citizens of Deer Park, and yet here's a program that affects 100 kids a year and all hell's breaking loose. I guess that the deciding factor is whether or not a program is used by somebody you know, huh? With two-faced thinking like that, I for one am glad that Andrea lost the last election. I will continue to cast my vote and advise others to cast theirs for anybody but Andrea. As for your tea, thanks but no thanks.
Beckie! Is this you?

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Well said, A! You'll always have my support as you ALWAYS do your homework and make wise decisions, and take action. You should be commended for your courage! Who dat 2 is a nobody and a loser. I'm glad they declined my tea time invite. Good stuff would have been wasted.
carnac

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Who Dat wrote:
<quoted text>
Both sides of the story, it sounds real simple to me. City loves Golf but do not care for track.
Who Dat 2

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Andrea-
You make some great points. I take back everything I said and will personally vote for you if you run again. Heck, I might even stop by Shelley's for some tea. What can I and the other readers of Topix do to help the cause?
See no evil

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

yooflungpoo wrote:
sounds like a bunch of greedy coaches to me....
Words of wisdom from a deaf man!

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Who Dat 2 wrote:
Andrea-
You make some great points. I take back everything I said and will personally vote for you if you run again. Heck, I might even stop by Shelley's for some tea. What can I and the other readers of Topix do to help the cause?
Cool! I'm always home and love to entertain, and I am sincere when I invite people over to visit. I'll let A elaborate on how our residents can help keep the coaches.

“Perplexed”

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

carnac wrote:
<quoted text>
Both sides of the story, it sounds real simple to me. City loves Golf but do not care for track.
All hail to the mighty Carnac!! Love ya! ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of57
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Deer Park News Video

•••
•••

Deer Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Deer Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE