Can you pass a citizenship test?

Posted in the Deep Gap Forum

Eduardo Sanchez

Hudson, NC

#1 Jun 17, 2013
revolution32

Casar, NC

#2 Jun 18, 2013
Honestly no. I recently helped a good friend study for the citizenship test (he passed) and I can honestly say I could not have passed that test without as much study time as he put into it. Even as an educated person -- I didn't know MANY of the things asked on the test.
Eduardo Sanchez

Hudson, NC

#3 Jun 18, 2013
Citizenship does not come easy or cheaply either. Many people do not undersand that. Many immigrants, expecialy those jump the border, don't even know how to begin the worry and wait until the day arrives that you are even eligible to apply and have the money to do so. It's worth it though.,
southerner

Lenoir, NC

#4 Jun 18, 2013
I missed ten questions on it so not bad I guess. I will credit two of those I clicked too fast lol. I couldn't remember the number of house and senate members or the term amounts. I also forgot the exact date of the constitution, I had thought 1789 but was 1787. Been a while since high school but that's no excuse. I will say a few of those questions are opinion based like those dealing with the civil war but I understand they are trying to keep it simple.

I will say that many immigrants I have met over the years seem to have a better grasp on our own system of government and history than the average natural born citizen. I imagine its because they have everything riding on passing these tests where as we have taken for granted what has just been handed to many of us.

It would be rather funny to give this test in front of Wal-Mart and keep track of immigrant vs citizen stats.
Eduardo Sanchez

Hudson, NC

#5 Jun 18, 2013
In most of Mexico we only go to school 7 years. In those 7 years we learn quite a bit, especially history, geography, and science. When we come to the US we have to get a ged. Many immigrant test on a 12 grade or higher level which makes a ged manageable while working 2 jobs. Most of us work 2 jobs because we come here with nothing but the clothes on our backs. We have to get everything once we get here. We don't get welfare or handouts either. Yardsales and thrift shops are the way to go. Later we do EBay and Craigslist once we get our immigration cost paid, which include getting a green card, then waiting years until we are eligible to apply for a citizenship. If we didn't have a visa then there is another $1400 or so dollars and in between that and the citizenship there are work permits and renewals which cost time and money and if we travel a visa which means a trip to the consulate and more $$$. It's a good system here in many ways such as whether you are dark or light skinned you can own a business and earn respect if you act with respect and know good people. There is work, although you might see a certified nurse (from Mexico) working as a maid or a cna which working toward a certification here in the US or a school teacher (from Mexico) working as a nanny or household manager or sitting with the elderly. I know a man who programmed and ran computer systems in a Mexican bank who came here and worked at Broyhill in the shop until he could retire. He still works, but with horses. Many parts of Mexico are flooded with retirees from the US and Mexico. Other parts are very dangerous. Even the worst jobs here are better than living in the middle of a drug war of organized crime that will probably never change.
Duh

Lenoir, NC

#6 Jun 20, 2013
Just curious - when someone takes the citizenship test, what happens with their kids? Do they automatically 'pass' too, or do they have to also take the test themselves (I can't imagine a 10 year old taking it), or what?
Eduardo Sanchez

Hudson, NC

#7 Jun 20, 2013
If the kids are under 18 years of age they automatically become citizens once a parent passes the test. Spouses, not. When someone becomes a citizen they are eligible to bring their spouse, mother, or father to the country to begin the process. Marrying a citizen does not make anyone a citizen, automatically. It does, however cut time off the length of years they have to wait for citizenship once they get a green card. It takes about 2 to 3 years to get a green card.
John

Lenoir, NC

#11 Jul 5, 2013
It's hard
Ralph

Hudson, NC

#12 Jul 5, 2013
People ask what are they doing here? One reason, for sure is that in the early 90's, about the time Broyhill sent word they'd hire them, the banking systems in Mexico failed. Everyone lost all the money they had in the banks. Many of the men and young boys who came here came to raise money to save their families homes and ranches. Yes, many of these folks do have nice homes and families. So they came wherever they could find work and stable money to save what they had. Many did not intend to say here for long and many did return home after 5 or 10 years or so. Many of the younger one married and now have children that were born here. Over the years of working and sending money home to their parents and grandparents, they have become Americanized and now want to become citizens. They have the thousands of dollars to pay fines and attorney fees and application fees and know that if the get into any kind of trouble with the law they can loose their money and their right to apply for their green card and years later their citizenship. People predict that the economy in the US is going to fail once again. If it does would you not go wherever you could to find work to save your family home and what you have? It's a lot to think about. Many of the young boys who came here began working in the sawmills and factories here at age 12 or 13 after getting work IDs that were given to them by the folks who recruited them to come to work in the area.
whyfor

Hudson, NC

#13 Jul 10, 2013
NO excuse to be an illegal, if America is good enough to come to it's good enough to do it the right way.
The trouble being most come for the money and freebies not to become part of America.
Eduardo

Hudson, NC

#14 Jul 10, 2013
whyfor wrote:
NO excuse to be an illegal, if America is good enough to come to it's good enough to do it the right way.
The trouble being most come for the money and freebies not to become part of America.
They do work for the money and there are not freebies unless your babies are born here and they have not named father, there illegitimate. As stated before, lots of the people who come here are young teenagers. Tell them not to do it. Another thing is, if you aren't specialized in education or a profession like doctor, nurse, etc. you can't get a visa to travel outside the country unless you get a fake one. There are a lot of illegal people in the US who have lost their citizenship due to imprisonment, drugs, or alcohol. Those people were born here. But when they aren't citizens anymore, where do the have to be deported to? And a lot of women who have children here to get something free, but what can you do about them? And remember, I am a citizen because I paid to take the test and paid for all the other things I had to pay for in the steps along the way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deep Gap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Do You Support For Senate In NC in 2014 6 min Victoria 1,731
Review: Eola Brewing Company 5 hr CDCfatfuk 33
Social Media and MacDill AFB warning. 8 hr pay attention 4
Baton Boy aka Brad Ashley 11 hr Really 7
DROP/KEEP/ADD a word (Feb '14) 12 hr Unc 99
chic-fil-a 13 hr Repeatly 12
New to the City. 14 hr Repeatly 4
Deep Gap Dating
Find my Match

Deep Gap Jobs