Driver still free

Driver still free

There are 21 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Jul 16, 2009, titled Driver still free. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

An 88-year-old driver accused of killing a 4-year-old girl as she crossed a Stoughton street did not apply the brakes before hitting the girl in a crosswalk the driver should have seen nearly 400 feet before impact, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wake Up America

United States

#1 Jul 17, 2009
Why does is take this kind of thing to happen before people realize that elderly drivers SHOULD NOT be on the road. Yes, make them undergo tougher testing.
Desiree

South Glens Falls, NY

#2 Jul 17, 2009
Awesome, lets wait till more kids get killed until we get tougher laws...
Berkshire Native

Rocky Mount, NC

#3 Jul 17, 2009
I agree that after a certain age, driving tests should be required. I'll dread when my day comes, but I'd certainly understand
Oineby

Glens Falls, NY

#4 Jul 17, 2009
As a 20 year old, I'd be waiting in a jail cell for my day in court, and rightfully so. That doesn't even take into account that this person has a horrible driving history, and has caused deaths in a vehicle before. Taking a license away would have been an acceptable consequence until the issue goes to trial if the driver only hurt them self, but this is manslaughter. What the hell were they thinking?
My thoughts are with the family of the child. No parent should have to bury their child.
jennifer

Albany, NY

#5 Jul 17, 2009
she needs her license taken away!!!! When you get to a certain age, and exspecially if you have had past problems with driving i think its time to stop driving!! That poor girl!
The Truth

East Bridgewater, MA

#6 Jul 17, 2009
What about mothers that back out of their garage in a SUV and run their 20 month old over?
It was on the news this morning!

I know... lets blame the elderly for that too!

Accidents happen... All ages!
Sara

Queensbury, NY

#7 Jul 17, 2009
The Truth wrote:
What about mothers that back out of their garage in a SUV and run their 20 month old over?
It was on the news this morning!
I know... lets blame the elderly for that too!
Accidents happen... All ages!
Not saying that accidents dont happen all over. This women should have seen the child 400 feet before she hit her. That is more than a football field away and the women didnt even try to stop. She drove FARTHER than the child went flying through the air. That is more than just an accident, that is an old lady whos way to slow to react.
Sara

Queensbury, NY

#8 Jul 17, 2009
And to the family, my thoughts and prayers are with you. May your daughter rest in peace.
yep

United States

#9 Jul 17, 2009
Wake Up America wrote:
Why does is take this kind of thing to happen before people realize that elderly drivers SHOULD NOT be on the road. Yes, make them undergo tougher testing.
I totally agree.. however there are plenty of young punks on the road who have no business behind the wheel.
yep

United States

#10 Jul 17, 2009
Oineby wrote:
As a 20 year old, I'd be waiting in a jail cell for my day in court, and rightfully so. That doesn't even take into account that this person has a horrible driving history, and has caused deaths in a vehicle before. Taking a license away would have been an acceptable consequence until the issue goes to trial if the driver only hurt them self, but this is manslaughter. What the hell were they thinking?
My thoughts are with the family of the child. No parent should have to bury their child.
The fact of the matter is that any laws regarding testing are useless. Look at court cases where people are on their 5th or 6th OUI and the judge thinks that suspending their license after a short jail term is going to do anything.

I know jail time here is pointless.. tragic as it is.. but judges have the power to do more then just suspend licenses... they don't moist of the time. I don't know about you.. but I'd be a little more then upset if a loved one was killed by a drunk driver on a multiple OUI and it could have been avoided by a strict jail sentence.

When an OUI goes to trial.. they can't even mention past OUI's until after they are found guilty. That is b.s.

Ther was a case recently in NY i think where a man was arrested for his 13th OUI. A lot of good suspending his license did.

Moral is.. it takes a tragic death to occur before the weak ass courts do anything significant to stop it. By then it's too late.
Berkshire Native

Chester, MA

#11 Jul 18, 2009
While I agree that jail time for an 88 year old woman seems excessive, my question is- Why hasn't this woman's license been revoked before now??! She has been found at fault for 5 accidents, including one which killed her husband, and is still driving?! Amazing. Sad. I am so sorry for the family of that little girl, who not only had to bury their child, but witness the accident that killed her, too.
REALLY --

Wynantskill, NY

#12 Jul 18, 2009
"...negligent motor vehicle homicide, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum sentence of 2 1/2 years..."

What kind of nonsense is this??? 2 1/2 years maximum for a homicide that was caused by negligence??? Unreal...
Karen

Anaheim, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2009
She has now killed two people - her husband and this little girl. Why wasn't her license taken away back in 1992. It would have been too late for her husband but at least the girl would still be alive!!!!
yep

United States

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Karen wrote:
She has now killed two people - her husband and this little girl. Why wasn't her license taken away back in 1992. It would have been too late for her husband but at least the girl would still be alive!!!!
Karen.. taking the license away from someone doesn't do anything but give the authorities reason to stop you at anytime while driving.

There are far too many people out there driving on suspended licenses who just don't care.

Not saying this lady deserved to go to jail.. but there are cases of people on numerous OUI's who were also "suspended". In those cases the only way to prevent that is jail time. Time to save lives... three strikes and your out. Third conviction of OUI should be at least 20 years in prison if not more.
The Truth

Brockton, MA

#15 Jul 18, 2009
What about J-Walkers?
Fed Up

Golden City, MO

#16 Jul 21, 2009
Along with your AARP card you get a license to kill pesky kids and create convenient drive-through windows. Using the brake pedal is ageism, y'know? After all you have lift up your *whole leg*, possibly several inches (isn't that a car design defect?) and press down on a different pedal, all the while holding a round thing with confusing, um, there must be something confusing about the steering wheel. Now think of doing this if you have aches and pains, like to daydream, or were never that good at driving to begin with. It's terribly unfair!!! Just think of the trauma this poor old lady went through, having to get the car washed and all that!
Sure, we should abolish licenses for old folks - make it no license required! No registration or plates either, after all they've paid enough taxes already!
The Truth

Brockton, MA

#17 Jul 21, 2009
What about people texting or talking on cell phones?
Accidents happen at all ages... not just elderly, I do agree that once you reach an age (like 85).. your licence should expire!

And what about Jay walkers?
datroof

United States

#18 Jul 21, 2009
The Truth wrote:
What about people texting or talking on cell phones?
Accidents happen at all ages... not just elderly, I do agree that once you reach an age (like 85).. your licence should expire!
And what about Jay walkers?
Did you mention jay walkers yet or did I miss it.?
The Truth

Brockton, MA

#19 Jul 22, 2009
datroof wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you mention jay walkers yet or did I miss it.?
What about Jay Walkers?
datroof

United States

#20 Jul 23, 2009
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Jay Walkers?
Jay walkers.. why that's a great point. Im glad someone finally asked this question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dedham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
electricians (Jan '06) 6 hr Raylin Sutter 10
News Mayor Walsh Announces DriveBoston Program Thu reality is a crutch 1
News Police identify man shot dead in Dorchester (Jan '12) Thu loyalty617 13
How Many People Got Kilt In The Hurricane (Aug '11) Thu reality is a crutch 4
Cosby bad Kennedy good Thu reality is a crutch 2
News Boston launches neighborhood 'walks against vio... Wed reality is a crutch 1
News Overcrowded student housing gets little action ... Wed reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dedham Mortgages