Coach Powell and his coaching skills

Posted in the Decatur Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sports Enthusiast

Cleveland, TN

#1 Feb 6, 2012
You know Coach, it's not always about winning right? Maybe you should take the time to step back and look at it from our point of view. I've been to a few home games this year and have noticed when we have a great lead you don't play all the girls? Can you tell me why? I would think showing these kids how to be a team and how to share would help out in their future not just on the court but off. Maybe I could be wrong? I think if you instill values such as that it would help them in their lives later on.

I could have gotten on here talked about how you suck as a coach and call you names but I am trying to be an adult here. I could say maybe you have problems with some of the girls parents and take it out on them due to the fact maybe you didn't like them in school. Same with your little helper there. But like I said I am going to try to an be adult about it.

Next time you have a 20 plus point lead going into the 4th quarter maybe you should step back and say "hmmm maybe these other girls that haven't got much time to play this year can get some experience on the court and some game time". Considering the other team hadn't even scored 20 points at that time. Sometimes I think maybe your sister could do a better job coaching a team than you, but like I said I am trying to be an adult here and I'll not say that. Anyone else feel this way besides me?
Really

San Jose, CA

#2 Feb 6, 2012
Its not little league ball where everyone gets a turn. I'm not saying I agree with his coaching skills but I don't feel like he should play a kid just because they are ahead. Especially when they are in high school and can't even dribble the ball.
Sports Enthusiast

Cleveland, TN

#3 Feb 6, 2012
Your right, when you have a 30 point lead though it's a different story.
WOW

San Jose, CA

#4 Feb 7, 2012
So if its not all about winning then why is there a scoreboard? Kids should learn to share when they are young children, not when they are high school age. Some values should be shown to kids by their parents. Not everything has to come from a teacher or coach. Every player got a chance to play last night, so Im a little confused about the complaint here.
bearhunter

United States

#5 Feb 7, 2012
[the part you may be confused about is that a senior on senior night got to play 1 minute and 20 seconds. so what if she isnt micheal jordan the coach allowed her on the team,its senior nite,and theres a 30 point lead with 8 minutes left.so why not 5 minutes? why not 6 minutes etc,etc? if its a close game then yes i understand. winning is important.If its a close game than dont play anyone that could lose the game for you but if your 30 points ahead good grief!
Anonymous

Ringgold, GA

#6 Feb 9, 2012
It's girls basketball...who cares..
Sports Enthusiast

Cleveland, TN

#7 Feb 9, 2012
Maybe you should look at the walls. The girls teams are the only thing Meigs County Basketball has going for it.
FauxCollinThompson wrote:
It's girls basketball...who cares..
Anonymous

Ringgold, GA

#8 Feb 9, 2012
Sports Enthusiast wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you should look at the walls. The girls teams are the only thing Meigs County Basketball has going for it.
I'll say it again..IT'S STILL GIRLS BASKETBALL, the only people who care are older adults, players, parents, and some school admin.. Just because they have to.. It's boring to watch

Since: Feb 12

United States

#9 Feb 10, 2012
Well,...Apparently you haven't watched these GIRLS Play. The "Up Tempo/In your Face" kinda Round Ball these Girls play,...is NEVER Boring,...Far from it. I don't think most Boys teams would wanna "Throw Down" against these Girl's.
Just like Doc Holiday used to say,..."They'll be your Huckleberry!"
Bob

Hickory Corners, MI

#10 Feb 10, 2012
Sammy is the best coach in meigs co!
Anonymous

Chattanooga, TN

#11 Feb 10, 2012
Tiger4Life wrote:
Well,...Apparently you haven't watched these GIRLS Play. The "Up Tempo/In your Face" kinda Round Ball these Girls play,...is NEVER Boring,...Far from it. I don't think most Boys teams would wanna "Throw Down" against these Girl's.
Just like Doc Holiday used to say,..."They'll be your Huckleberry!"
Meigs county boys could beat the girls..

Since: Feb 12

United States

#12 Feb 11, 2012
Maybe so,...Just making a point that there's Nothing Boring about the way they play. And,..I never said they would Beat our Boys team. There's Loads of Talent on the Boys,...Can't let their record fool anyone.
truth

United States

#13 Feb 13, 2012
I don't really think the way the girls team plays is entirely coach Powells fault. I don't really know the girls well but have seen them play a lot and it seems to me that these girls are spoiled brats and they don't have much respect for their own parents so how do you think they will ever listen to coach Powell. It really starts at home with the parents. It looks as if these girls don't even care if they win or lose. They definitely don't hustle. If they came out and played every game like they did at home against central they would be unstoppable. Maybe these girls parents need to set them down and tell them a thing or two about dedication and what they have to do to be good like go to the gym and shoot at night on their own not fill their heads up with how good they are and how coach Powell doesn't know what he's doing cause I could almost bet the people on here talking bad about Powell are parents of these girls. You could be a better role model and instead of complaining here on this site maybe take them to the gym and help them on their skills so they will play more in a game. Just a thought....
Anonymous

Chattanooga, TN

#14 Feb 14, 2012
IT'S STILL WOMENS ATHLETICS!! Who cares..
Sports Enthusiast

Cleveland, TN

#15 Feb 14, 2012
I have no kids, just care about our youth of this town. I am glad to know that others see it the same as I do. Thanks for keeping this post going, maybe Powell will let some of the other girls play, who aren't spoiled brats and who's family has no money. Just cause you don't like someone's parent Powell, doesn't mean you have to take it out on their kids. Try giving them a chance to be something or represent for this town. Everyone deserves a shot, and I don't mean one minute and thirty seconds when you are 30 points ahead.
truth

Missoula, MT

#16 Feb 15, 2012
Sports Enthusiast wrote:
I have no kids, just care about our youth of this town. I am glad to know that others see it the same as I do. Thanks for keeping this post going, maybe Powell will let some of the other girls play, who aren't spoiled brats and who's family has no money. Just cause you don't like someone's parent Powell, doesn't mean you have to take it out on their kids. Try giving them a chance to be something or represent for this town. Everyone deserves a shot, and I don't mean one minute and thirty seconds when you are 30 points ahead.
It doesn't matter what sport it is or who the coach is plain and simple if a player has no skills and can't play worth a lick then theyr noy going to get any playing time. Please show me another coach where everyone gets to play lol these kids aren't in elementary school. Get real.
Anonymous

Cleveland, TN

#17 Feb 15, 2012
Sports Enthusiast wrote:
I know young men who this happened to, the coach held something against the men.. Football at Meigs county has finally gotten out of ye crooked years.. Nobody said shit then..
Anonymous

Cleveland, TN

#18 Feb 15, 2012
truth wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter what sport it is or who the coach is plain and simple if a player has no skills and can't play worth a lick then theyr noy going to get any playing time. Please show me another coach where everyone gets to play lol these kids aren't in elementary school. Get real.
the kids I'm referring to were probably the best at their position, the would dominate defense and when the offense was struggling after halftime they would be called upon to try and create plays for points
truth

United States

#19 Feb 15, 2012
FauxCollinThompson wrote:
<quoted text>
the kids I'm referring to were probably the best at their position, the would dominate defense and when the offense was struggling after halftime they would be called upon to try and create plays for points
Are you talking about girls basketball cause that's what this topic is about. I believe you are the one thag said noone cares about girls basketball so I am confused on why you keep commenting on this subject if you don't care.
Anonymous

Georgetown, TN

#20 Feb 15, 2012
truth wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about girls basketball cause that's what this topic is about. I believe you are the one thag said noone cares about girls basketball so I am confused on why you keep commenting on this subject if you don't care.
because of people like you..honestly

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Decatur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trumps a lying dog 51 min Dean_Gullberry 12
Jared Gurley 3 hr lol 5
Pam Stinnette Lawson Newman (Feb '16) 14 hr Hahaha 18
Ethan caraway (Jun '16) 15 hr THE_TRUTH 4
Should a christian be eating at hooters (Apr '14) 20 hr duh 29
The clown bus 20 hr ms doubtfire 5
Looking for someone Sat Who knows 3

Decatur Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance