Who do you support for State Superintendent of Schools in Georgia in 2010?

Posted in the Decatur Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated May 16, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
shoe

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2010

Judged:

Kira without any doubt or hesitation.
LP of DC

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Kira Willis is the best.
John Doe

Hayfield, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Whoever wins needs to change the math curriculum for Ga.
jojo 12

Summerville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Who is running?
ChaCha

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

jojo 12 wrote:
Who is running?
John Barge R
Joe Martin D
Kira Willis L
jojo 12

Summerville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Teacher

Ranger, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I support Dr. John Barge. He has the experience and common sense approach that GA needs. He has high moral and ethical standards and understands GA's strengths and weaknesses.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

I went to a debate a few days ago. I really didn't know much about any of the candidates going into the debate. Here were my general perceptions of each of the candidates:

* Kira Willis is clearly passionate and probably a stellar teacher. She seems reform minded and not prone to accepting the status quo. She did not interview well though. She did not have many specific or even practical solutions to get her to the place she envisions. She struck me as someone a bit out of her league jumping straight from the classroom to State Supt. She doesn't even have a leadership perspective to draw from, much less a disrict level perspective, and this was very evident in her responses. I did like her an awful lot, but I don't think I'd be confident in her ability to do the job given her lack of experience.

* John Barge seemed knowledgeable about the scope of the job an has a background in both school level and district level administration. He had an almost laser like understanding of the classroom experience and what is inhibiting teachers from staying in public education and finding success. He appeared to be someone who would be a consensus builder and able to work with many types of individuals to accomplish things (unlike Cathy Cox who was at constant odds with the Governor and others).

* Joe Martin seemed by far to be the most experienced and knowledgeable. His responses to the questions were both thoughtful and well reasoned. He seemed to have a broader perspective than the other 2 candidates about education policy as a whole. The only thing is that his demeanor is a real put off. He was pushy and almost rude throughout - both to the moderator and to the audience. My thought was that he would very easily step into some political muck with his personality and not be able to accomplish some of the great things he had on his agenda. Unfortunately, the State Supt. role requires quite a bit of politicking, so that worried me.

I suppose on the whole I liked John Barge best (but if I could have Barge's personality with Martin's skillset, that's be perfect.) Still more research to do, but that's my initial thoughts.
jojo 12

Summerville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

voter you are looking good in my opinion.
When you do more research show me where to look.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Judged:

Thanks. Will do. You share as well if you learn anything interesting.
Parent

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Joe Martin is just who Georgia needs. He understands the issues and is the only candidate with the experience in regards to school finance that can solve the funding problems that school districts across the state are experiencing. I believe that he will stand up for GA Schools. I will vote for Joe Martin.
Mac and cheese

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

whoever the republican is, thats who is getting my vote.
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Parent wrote:
Joe Martin is just who Georgia needs. He understands the issues and is the only candidate with the experience in regards to school finance that can solve the funding problems that school districts across the state are experiencing. I believe that he will stand up for GA Schools. I will vote for Joe Martin.
With all due respect, I believe Mr. Martin helped create the current funding formula the state uses for schools, which has many, many issues. Do you believe he'll address the formula or are you referring to general funding problems? The legislature sets the budget for education, so how do you think he'll solve the issue with funding? I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you, merely wondering about your perspective.
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Why would you say Joe Martin has a better skill set? I am concerned that he took 4 dollars a head from students in 50 school districts for a illegal lawsuit and paid him self $76,000 in one year alone! That is not leadership skills, just a scam which cost schools over 2 million dollars
Voter

Villa Rica, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

I meant that his background and experience better matched the requirements of the job.

I am not aware of what you are referring to - can you please explain?

Since: Oct 10

Hiram, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2010

Judged:

I like her experience, & I like her HOPE reimbursement plan.

Since: Oct 10

Decatur, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2010

Judged:

Of course, Barge is the better candidate.
Is there an office anywhere that Joe Martin has not run for and lost - big? He will lose then one - big - and immediately start looking for a new one in two years. What an opportunist!
Tim M

Kennesaw, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2010

Judged:

Kira is the obvious choice. Vote your convictions people!
Barbara Lyon

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Less money going to positions with no contact with students; more money getting into the classrooms.
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Joe Martin made 4 dollars off each student who was in a school system which joined the consortium's lawsuit to redo the funding formula. check it out on the internet. This is 100% factual. the man just does not need to be the leader of a school system. Time for him to enjoy his retirement and stop making money off kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Decatur Discussions

Search the Decatur Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 1 hr jeb stuart 49,925
Will do anything...desperate of $1000 cash now! (Apr '13) 5 hr Family man 84
Organized Gang Stalking What You Need To Know (Sep '10) 5 hr joeanthony teresa trupin 107
Obama is Arab not black (Oct '08) 10 hr UTB 48
1 Blessing From God 10 hr Stephen Levi 21
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Badabing Badabang 18,588
Review: Fresh Value Foods 14 hr williejean childs 1
•••
•••

Decatur News Video

•••
Decatur Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Decatur Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000