Georgia election | Voters cool to tra...

Georgia election | Voters cool to trauma fee

There are 7 comments on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution story from Nov 3, 2010, titled Georgia election | Voters cool to trauma fee. In it, Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that:

Georgians offered a chilly reception to the proposal for an extra $10 car registration fee to boost trauma care funding, according to a preliminary election results Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Really2

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Nov 3, 2010
I this economy when everpne is sruggling--I think not because if we give 10 dollars now, what will it be next year and the year after that?
GameChanger

Buford, GA

#2 Nov 4, 2010
The main problem I had with this proposal is that it is taking it from regular people. Many people cannot afford it.

I have said this before and I will say it again:

They are supposed to be TAXING the WEALTHY, but ONLY the PERSONAL INCOME of those persons (so that it does not affect the economy). And ONLY the WEALTHY (not the middle-class).

Specifically LUXURY items, such as the boss using a limo when some old used Dodge would do. Or expensive furniture, art, flowers, etc., for the Upper Management. Or anything else of that sort...

Nobody has yet to prove to me how this is unjust or unfair to anyone. Except the old "I earned it, I keep it" argument which is like stupid, LOL. Sorry, that argument doesn't hold water, for more reasons than I can list (I will list them if anybody asks, although it will make my post extremely large...)

The fact is that well over 80% of the populace agrees with that, as long as it is explained properly (I will provide examples if anyone asks for them.) As long as it is explained properly, that is.

As long as they fully understand that it is NOT about either:

1. Taking from businesses (which hurts the economy) or
2. Taking from the middle class to give to the poor (strictly from the wealthy).

As long as they understand what it is really referring to, most people do see the logic. If this measure had been something more along those lines, it probably would have passed.

Anyway, that was the problem with this proposal. They would be taking it from regular citizens, including the poor. Of course nobody wants that. I could have told you this was going to fail.
Proud Progressive

Winder, GA

#3 Nov 4, 2010
Why have we become so selfish in contributing for the good of all? You may die or lose a loved one due to lack of trauma care where you live.

Leave off your cigs, alcohol, and junk food and you may find you have alot more money to use for everything!
GameChanger

Buford, GA

#4 Nov 4, 2010
Proud Progressive wrote:
Why have we become so selfish in contributing for the good of all? You may die or lose a loved one due to lack of trauma care where you live.
As I stated in my previous post, it is not a question of having the facilities or not. It is a question of WHERE to get the money from (Please see my previous post on this thread.)

Proud Progressive wrote:
Leave off your cigs, alcohol, and junk food and you may find you have alot more money to use for everything!
First of all, why SHOULD anybody not do those things? There is absolutely no reason. What SHOULD happen is the taxes on all those things should be reduced.

I don't really feel like going into this right now (although I will if anyone asks) but very briefly, if something is bad for someone, that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. It only means that certain agencies who are SUPPOSED TO be finding CURES and VACCINES for things (in some cases they have had over a century to do so, literally), should be held liable for not having the cures and vaccines available to the populace.

Again I'll elaborate and detail this further if anyone asks. It is really not jermaine to this topic. However I do absolutely believe that much needed to be said, in response to the post which I was quoting.
As I see em

Clyde, TX

#5 Nov 4, 2010
Proud Progressive wrote:
The reason I voted no on this amendment was not because of 'the good of all' but because the Government has squandered every other bit of money that they have taken from the people- so why should I condone more? They signed up to do a job and that job is to figure it out! What happened to the revenue from the 'super speeders' and how about that money they are stealing with the Georgia 400 toll that was supposed to be discontinued? Maybe they should use some of that.

I have to buy ten tags a year. Sure, I have more vehicles than the average Georgian, but the fact of the matter is this: The Government needs to stop squandering and mismanaging the money they do have and put it towards more useful things.

Besides, when it's your time to go, there's nothing you're going to do about it. You can't argue. And a life-flight helicopter can reach a trauma center from just about anywhere in the state within the golden hour. If there aren't enough helicopters set up in rural regions, well, that's just a business opportunity for someone to jump on. Do you know how much a life flight charges? It's a lot, let me tell you.

If there is a place in the state where life flights won't reach the hospital in time, you live there, and you actually think it will make the entire difference, then use your common sense and... MOVE. It's that simple, folks.

People used their common sense- that's why this got voted down.
Jake_S

Lawrenceville, GA

#6 Nov 4, 2010
I voted "NO" because this is a little late in coming up with this. What did we do 50 years ago when driving was more dangerous?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 4, 2010
We have an excellent trauma center near my home. I voted yes to help my fellow Georgians. So many are inclined to receive rather than give so they voted NO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Decatur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 49 min Katrina 1,510
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 49 min orange girly man 20,307
Obama's apology to Georgia 3 hr Nagisaki 1
Black Judge Charged With Wife Abuse (May '11) 15 hr HairFlippin-Smirker 10
Why are Sexy Rich White women, leaving White M... (Jan '12) 19 hr Dolly 541
Black boys chasing white girls @ highschool Fri Heil 18
Why I am ashamed of being black. (Aug '11) May 18 HairFlippin-Smirker 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Decatur Mortgages