Thomson Plastics
Kat

Augusta, GA

#123 Aug 31, 2012
Barry Stuart wrote:
<quoted text>
DON’T LET ANYONE ELSE TELL YOUR STORY!!!
CG and you were actually lucky. Normally, if a potential employer gets bad input from your prior employer, they just go silent. You never know why you weren’t called back. This is true anytime you are looking for your next challenge (job) regardless of the ex employer.
Some suggestions (not TPI specific):
*If you have been laid off, take a copy your separation documentation with you to your interview and leave it with them. This usually eliminates the need for an employer background check. If they still elect to follow up, it limits the opportunity for “opinions”. If there is a difference, it falls to your ex employer to explain why their paperwork doesn’t match their words.
*If you were terminated, tell the interviewer up front. Explain why you were terminated and tell him/her why it won’t happen again. It may not be pretty, but they will respect your honesty. This also eliminate the need for additional follow up – it you were going to lie you would have blamed someone else.
*If you resigned, be particularly careful. Resigning is essentially firing your boss. They are probably not going to take this well and, given the chance, may choose to retaliate.
There was actually some confusion over the events surrounding my resignation. Apparently, putting down the microphone and walking out the front door was too subtle. As a result, I left a folder behind at all my interviews. It contained:
- A copy of my resignation to Bruce Landino citing safety
- A copy of my letter of safety concerns to Russ Greenberg
- A copy of TPI/Altus OSHA inspection(s)
- A copy of Continental Structural Plastics OSHA accident investigations.
This package usually precludes the need for additional follow up.
Your employer has the right to make reasonable hire and fire decisions as long as they do so fairly and within the law. Post employment they should only give facts. Don’t let them tell their version of YOUR STORY.
Good luck to all and Be Safe.
Barry
You might not want to use your real name.
warehouse worker

Hopkins, MN

#124 Aug 31, 2012
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
You might not want to use your real name.
I dont think he cares..
Barry Stuart

Irmo, SC

#125 Sep 4, 2012
tdag wrote:
<quoted text>
What does Continental have to do with it?
When I joined TPI I knew we had safety problems. Before I accepted the position of VP/Operations a month later, I had reviewed my concerns with Russ Greenberg and I thought we could turn things around.

A little while later I had a new boss and I did some research on Continental (were Landino and Kibbey came from) and found a history (OSHA database)of poor safety and a couple of fatalities (someone posted the details earlier). I was no longer confident that we had the needed focus on safety.

In looking at TPI’s 2012 OSHA inspection, it appears that my concerns were well founded.
TPB

Augusta, GA

#126 Sep 12, 2012
warehouse worker wrote:
<quoted text>
i guess u mean kibby?? if so.. i know thats right.. tpi has the potential to be a really good company.. if only there wasnt so much favoritism
Favoritism is a cancer. When you base your decisions on friendship, you send a message to employees - Performance dosen't matter.
POV

Augusta, GA

#127 Jan 2, 2013
It is a new year, I hope it is a new start for TPI.
The Truth

Aiken, SC

#128 Jan 17, 2013
POV wrote:
It is a new year, I hope it is a new start for TPI.
I wouldn't hold your breath :)
casey

Irmo, SC

#129 Feb 17, 2013
Well POV,

Is it getting any better??
the truth

Aiken, SC

#130 Feb 18, 2013
casey wrote:
Well POV,
Is it getting any better??
They are probably too busy to respond. Have a lot of oil, blood, body parts to clean up.
Buck

Arden, NC

#131 Feb 20, 2013
Too Bad
Casey

Arden, NC

#132 Feb 20, 2013
I never saw a place with this much potential and such weak leadership.
Kingfisher

United States

#133 Mar 1, 2013
Too bad. I thought things might be getting better. I read that the were celebrating 4 months without an accident a while back.
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>They are probably too busy to respond. Have a lot of oil, blood, body parts to clean up.
POV

Augusta, GA

#134 Mar 18, 2013
Kingfisher wrote:
Too bad. I thought things might be getting better. I read that the were celebrating 4 months without an accident a while back.
<quoted text>
Safty wise we were doing better, but that was during our "slow" time. All we had working were seasoned veterans that knew hao to watch their own backs, as soon as the newbees arrived and had their 15 minutes of safety training, blood was in the water. Some incidents were from rolling the dice once too often. How many times can you slide on oil before you end up head over heels?
For me I have lost the "Joy of Working".
I had it once, but it slipped through my fingers.
Trotter

Edgefield, SC

#135 Mar 21, 2013
POV wrote:
<quoted text>
Safty wise we were doing better, but that was during our "slow" time. All we had working were seasoned veterans that knew hao to watch their own backs, as soon as the newbees arrived and had their 15 minutes of safety training, blood was in the water. Some incidents were from rolling the dice once too often. How many times can you slide on oil before you end up head over heels?
Too bad - they haven't gotten the message yet. What does the management have to worry about; terminal paper cuts?
Jester

United States

#136 Mar 21, 2013
POV wrote:
<quoted text>
Management does suck all the light out of the organization.
Buck

United States

#137 Mar 27, 2013
Trotter wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad - they haven't gotten the message yet. What does the management have to worry about; terminal paper cuts?
It's not like they are reporting all the lost time accidents. It's kind of optional I guess.
POV

Augusta, GA

#138 Apr 4, 2013
Well, we should have less reported accidents now. Someone had a chair break on them when they sat down, so did buy new chairs? No, they removed all chairs from the production floor. So the next time someone gets hurt they will think about what reporting will make them do without.
Joe Joe The Po Po

Augusta, GA

#139 Apr 6, 2013
WOW Maybe they were removed because chairs do not belong on a manufacturing floor!!!!!!
POV

Evans, GA

#140 Apr 6, 2013
Joe Joe The Po Po wrote:
WOW Maybe they were removed because chairs do not belong on a manufacturing floor!!!!!!
The chairs were used by the inspector when they would enter data on their laptops. If you have ever had to type while standing you would want your chair back!
Joe Joe The Po Po

Augusta, GA

#141 Apr 7, 2013
So those people that run the machines stand all day. So you think they should give them chairs also. I have never worked in a place like there but chairs on a shop floor are not allowed at most manufacturing plants. This company was practicing a bad safety rule by doing so. Seems like they now understand that and did a smart thing.
Grinder

United States

#142 Apr 8, 2013
POV wrote:
<quoted text>
The chairs were used by the inspector when they would enter data on their laptops. If you have ever had to type while standing you would want your chair back!
This gets back to lack of management action. They need to evaluate what tools and equipment are required for the work being done and control it. If it does not require a chair then get it off the floor (basic 5S); if a chair is appropriate then supply one and maintain it. We have one in our area that is held together with metallic tape -- another accident waiting to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dearing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah Talley Jun '16 Wantstoknow 1
News Oxygen tanker truck overturns on U.S. Hwy 1 (Dec '14) Jun '16 rgu 2
Susan Dorey (Nov '12) Jun '16 Hanna Natalia 2
Priority Care Ambulance is the worst company in... Jun '16 Shelia Washington 5
Civil Rights Hero Dr. Franklyn Beckles, Jr. Pub... Jun '16 Rev Chad Cassicks 4
Dixieland Jun '16 Trumpin On 1
News Grovetown teen dies after being pinned under pi... Apr '16 eniko 1

Dearing Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance