Don't Protect Abusers

Don't Protect Abusers

There are 2 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 31, 2009, titled Don't Protect Abusers. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

In response to the Aug. 31 editorial "Church's Heels Firmly Dug In": According to the Scriptures, the people are the church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Bravo Ms Rice

Middletown, CT

#1 Sep 1, 2009
There was even more bullying from the Catholic Mafia in New York. This was from a NY TIMES article dated 6-5-2009:

BISHOP AVIDLY OPPOSES BILL ON CHILD-ABUSE SUITS

Bishop Nicholas A. DiMarzio of Brooklyn repeated a warning this week that he has leveled at lawmakers for months: if the statute of limitation on child sex-abuse lawsuits is temporarily lifted, as pending state proposes, a cascade of very bad things will happen.

His Roman Catholic diocese and others will go bankrupt, Bishops like him will be forfced to close churches and schools. And wrathful constituents will punish the politicians who, in his view have made this all happen."

"But in the battle over the sex-abuse bills, which has been introduced for several years but never had a change of passage until now, DiMarzio has mounted such an urgent and aggressive sally into the political realm that some elected officials and community leaders have questioned whether he has overstepped church-state boundaries."

Indeed, Ms. Rice, I thought that in order to maintain non-profit status, churches had to remain neutral on political issues.

This story obviously has parallels to the George Reardon story. Maybe there is hope for the Reardon victims because the NY bill has been proposed several times and now it looks like it will finally succeed.
Bravo Ms Rice

Middletown, CT

#2 Sep 1, 2009
Assembylwoman, Margaret M. Markey, who co-wrote the bill said campaign literature labeled her as anti-Catholic and "I have no doubt Bishop DiMarzio was behind it."

"B ut some politicians fe3el that the bishop's advocacy sometimes verges on bullying."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pizzeria With Name Similar to Video Game Floode... Jul 11 Latter Day Taints 1
Asbury Park Music Thread (Apr '13) Jul 5 Musikologist 10
News Beyond The Bathroom: Transgender Policies Under... Apr '16 Lefty 5
Thank God and Bless our POW Apr '16 Touch of God 1
Review: Shore Customs Car and Truck Accessories Mar '16 Rayrayrray1233 1
News Did union slowdown leave this massive snow mess... Feb '16 John Gold 1
News Old Bridge Woman Among 5 Charged In $600K Worke... Feb '16 John Gold 1

Deal Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Deal Mortgages