Big & Rich song chronicles area man's experience while in Vietnam

Full story: Rapid City Journal

Niles Harris wants people to remember that his Vietnam War experience is not particularly unique.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
oleltha white

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2006

my husband was a navy seebee and did two tours of duty in vietnam. he is deceased now and will be gone from me six years the 31st of this month. i wish he could have lived to see the video the 8th of november as he would have related to niles and his memories. my husband had a lot of health problems related to vietnam. this video touched my heart especially when i saw niles purple heart as my husband had one also. thank you for helping people to remember all the young men who served their country as they were asked to do. this video hopefully will help them receive the respect they all deserve and didn't get at the time. my husband was actually spit upon back in the states on his return while he was in his uniform. he was very brave and never complained about the things he had to go thru over there. thank you niles for sharing your experience even though i know it was painful for you, it truly touched my heart as i watched your trip to vietnam it made me get out the pictures that my husband had taken while over there. it brought so many memories of things he told me. god bless you, niles and big and rich for making people remember these young men.
Cheryl Meyers

Rochester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2006

Hi there!
My name is Cheryl Meyers, I am from Pennsylvania my husband and I watched the CD called the 8th of November, We got it in a box of Prilosec. Of all places.
Anyhow, I want to commend Big & Rich for this wonderful tribute to all who had served in a time when people in this nation was uncontrolled.
My brother served in the(Green Berets) Special Forces called the 5th group. He hold a lot of prestigious awards including the silver star. He did 2 tours 72-74
Anyhow, through my father and my brother, I have a very very strong patrotism for my country.
My husband was in the Navy. I never dated anyone who was never in the service + they had to be honorably discharged!
I hope that people who see this CD felt the same as my husband and myself.And we got to see a bit inside what Viet Nam was about. Of course he did 3 tours to Nam in the late 60's early 70's.
But my father was in WWII and Korean conflict serving the Navy and the Army.
So the pride is definatly there.
I am still heart felt after watching this cd. It kind of reminded me too and my husband, of a time not too long ago of the war.. And I wittnessed the protests. My brother and others witnessed horror..
I hope through these cds, that this will enlighten people who were draft dodgers, and protesters. I only wish that this cd could have come out a lot sooner rather then 40 years later.But the timing just was not there.
Today, I walk up to any service personal even buying them dinner when posiable just to say thank you!
Replies I get back is a warm smile, and a thank you.
You can see the pride in them, as they really do not know where they will be going next.
I say this. all who have served, and is serving now is my hero! Cause if it were not for the brave souls like them, we would not have a country as the one we live in.
I suggest if everyone would just take time, when they see a serviceman or lady, thank them, they will appreaciate it!
I am glad they brought this CD for us to enjoy, and honor all who had served in VietNam along with others. I doubt if this gets where I would like it to go. But my message is the same as theirs..
Thank you
Cheryl Meyers
Mom Knox

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2006

Last summer (2006), my husband, along with my then 8 year old son, got married in South Dakota. Our "dress rehearsal" consisted of attending the free Bid & Rich street concernt for the Wild Bill Hickok festival. We had the great opportunity of watching Big & Rich perform this song, along with Niles Harris. The streets had I believe 20,000 people, and I'm sure there weren't very many dry eyes or soppy hearts after the performance. Today is the 8th of November, and I just want to thank Niles, and all the other servicemen and women around the nation. I'm very proud of our troops from the President on down. It's great to be an American!
Stephanie in W Virginia

Greenville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2007

Mom Knox wrote:
Last summer (2006), my husband, along with my then 8 year old son, got married in South Dakota. Our "dress rehearsal" consisted of attending the free Bid & Rich street concernt for the Wild Bill Hickok festival. We had the great opportunity of watching Big & Rich perform this song, along with Niles Harris. The streets had I believe 20,000 people, and I'm sure there weren't very many dry eyes or soppy hearts after the performance. Today is the 8th of November, and I just want to thank Niles, and all the other servicemen and women around the nation. I'm very proud of our troops from the President on down. It's great to be an American!
I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs. I had the pleasure of attending a conference in Nashville in August of 2006 where Niles and Sonny Bartow were both speakers at our closing ceremony. I don't think I have ever witnessed a group reaction to equal in my life. There were approximately 1,000 of us at the conference and the closing ceremony started in a dark room, viewing the video on 2 20ft x 20ft screens. Not one person in the room was without tears by the end. Then Niles and Sonny walked out and I didn't think they would even get to speak and the whole room was on their feet cheering. We felt honored just to be in the same room. When they finished, Big Kenny walked out and sat down with his guitar and talked to us about why it was so important to do the video and why the did it. Then he sang the song live. No one wanted to leave the conference after that. The next morning, when we arrived at the airport to fly home, Niles and Sonny were there waiting on their flights also. We sat and talked with them for a few moments that will be cherished forever. These are two of the neatest men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I have obtained several copies of the documentary which are now used at our VA Hospital as part of new employee orientation to remind us of why we are there. The impact has been phenominal! Only November 8th, my friend and I also went out and toasted Niles, Sonny, and all of our Vietnam Veterans. Please never forget those who served our country so we can be free today. Remember the families that lost their loved ones. And pray for those who are serving now.
Frisky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

i love you guys John you are sooooo hotttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttt

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Deadwood Discussions

Search the Deadwood Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Marijuana - Spearfish, SD (Sep '10) Apr 9 rancher 7
Pawn Stars: Chumlee gets a Harley and goes to S... (Sep '12) Mar 25 Jimbo 6
Hells angels give head on the highway to every ... (Jun '11) Mar '14 Happy hh 19
Sturgis Music Selection (Sep '12) Mar '14 Musikologist 8
Full throttle (Aug '13) Feb '14 Bill 4
Glencoe CampResort and Rock'N the Rally sold (Jan '09) Feb '14 Vegas gal 13
Last Post Wins Jan '14 GANNY 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Deadwood Jobs

•••
•••
•••