Official Sturgis rally death total reaches 4

Full story: TwinCities.com

Authorities say a California motorcyclist was killed when he hit the back of another bike on U.S. 385 near Deadwood in western South Dakota, slid into oncoming traffic and was hit by another bike.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Aug 25, 2010
CITYLIGHTS

Saint Bonifacius, MN

#1 Aug 12, 2010
We used to love to ride our bikes to Sturgis and did that year after year, but as we got older, it got to be a hassle. Went from the camp grounds in to a motel, tells ya how old we got.
SleeplessBiker

United States

#2 Aug 12, 2010
I have been a biker for 36 years. I am a big believer in the right to choose or not whether you wear a helmet. Having said that, I will always wear mine when adverse conditions warrant. This year I was struck by the number of incidence' of near misses and reckless riding I saw at the rally, (just got home late last night) so unlike my trip in 2007 I kept my helmet on this year. On Monday I was almost taken out by a reckless biker who crossed double yellow lines in a curve to pass a vehicle negotiating a turn. He missed me by inches. I rode past the body of Timothy Dollinger Tuesday afternoon. Other than the blood flowing out from under his head he looked like he was simply asleep on the pavement. They covered his body as I was passing. Such a shame. Often a helmet would not have made a bit of difference, but in this case I wonder.
Journolista

Stillwater, MN

#3 Aug 12, 2010
Dear SleeplessBiker,
You don't have to wonder anymore. Just get your helmet on and lie down in the road and I'll hit you on my motorcycle. I'll bet a thousand-to-one I can kill you.
If everybody wore helmets at Sturgis a thousand people would die and another thousand would get paralyzed because helmets make a lot of people go nuts. They'd ride at 100-200 mph, they'd be doing flips and stunts, they'd be jumping canyons and fleets of busses. Yeah, I suppose that'd be a cool spectacle. Wear helmets next year, Sturgeons!
Isn't great how the PiPress decides which fatality reports we all can comment on and which ones we cannot?
MYHELMETSAVEDMYL IFE

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2010
My husband and I also drove by his body already covered up but could not miss the foot wide steam of blood that ran from his head to the end of the pavement and also his legs and brown boots sticking out!! A vision I will never forget and a reminder why I wear my helmet as it saved my life last August!!
Kansas

United States

#6 Aug 13, 2010
I too passed the covered body in the road. Shook me up!
Leo

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Aug 13, 2010
It's all in good fun!

“BEWARE I BITE”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Aug 17, 2010
DON'T DRINK AND GET ON YOUR BIKE!!! SAVE YOUR BOOZING FOR AFTER YOUR BIKE IS PARKED FOR THE NIGHT!!!!

We have a rule with our group.. No drinkiing while on the bikes!ANd that rule has saved all our butts for the last 8 yrs.
I almost hit him

Reading, PA

#14 Aug 20, 2010
I was behind him in traffic when I saw the back of his bike flip up, the bike ahead of him stopped suddenly. The bikers I was traveling with broke left into oncoming lane his body had just rolled out from under the bike and was rolling left, his head was still pointing toward the right lane, he seemed to be lifeless, at this point his body sat upright and fell into the path of the motorcycle two ahead of me. The force of the hit knocked him back over, head to the right. I skidded past and stopped to help.Blood was pouring out of him. I can't say for sure but I believe he died instantly. Probably from his bike rolling over him.
I don't know how this rally has been in the past, but it was certainly the most dangerous riding I've ever done. You have experienced riders mixed with novice riders. Water costing as much as beer and not as available, don't help either.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#15 Aug 20, 2010
One less dude to get in line ahead of me for some booty from a chick or to get a job, how sad for HIM.
Linda from Missouri

Carrollton, MO

#16 Aug 21, 2010
My husband are in our 50s and have rode motorcycles since we were in our teens. This year was our first trip to the Sturis Rally.
It was Wed. Aug. 11, 2010, while riding on a sharp curve on the Needles Hyw 87 a rider coming from the opposite direction crashed right there beside us. I was shocked, the man was going to fast for that couner aand put the brakes on and went straight over the handle bars landed face down on the pavement then bounced to the side of the rode. He was not wearing a helmet. We helped with the traffic until the Amulance and park officials came then left. I have prayed for this man and wondered every day did he suvive? Can anyone let me know, I hope he is still alive! Please post reply on this web site. Thanks.
hallo

Coatesville, PA

#17 Aug 21, 2010
i want to be a biker when i grow up, then i wake up

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#18 Aug 21, 2010
hallo wrote:
i want to be a biker when i grow up, then i wake up
You want to be a "biker" or you want to be a motorcyclist? There is a difference.
sdollinger

Neenah, WI

#19 Aug 23, 2010
I am the biker's ex-wife, the mother of his 3 children. Your graphic description of the scene of the accident was seriously unnecessary. Please have some respect and discretion for his family, if not for a fellow biker. This was a very unfortunate accident which should have never happened to a wonderful man. He was a decorated retired Marine who lived his entire life as a Marine doing everything he could to protect his family and the country that he loved very much.
Next time you post something/anything online about whatever; think before you do and choose your words more appropriately.
I almost hit him wrote:
I was behind him in traffic when I saw the back of his bike flip up, the bike ahead of him stopped suddenly. The bikers I was traveling with broke left into oncoming lane his body had just rolled out from under the bike and was rolling left, his head was still pointing toward the right lane, he seemed to be lifeless, at this point his body sat upright and fell into the path of the motorcycle two ahead of me. The force of the hit knocked him back over, head to the right. I skidded past and stopped to help.Blood was pouring out of him. I can't say for sure but I believe he died instantly. Probably from his bike rolling over him.
I don't know how this rally has been in the past, but it was certainly the most dangerous riding I've ever done. You have experienced riders mixed with novice riders. Water costing as much as beer and not as available, don't help either.
zzzzz aka Trolls

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Aug 23, 2010
Journolista wrote:
Dear SleeplessBiker,
You don't have to wonder anymore. Just get your helmet on and lie down in the road and I'll hit you on my motorcycle. I'll bet a thousand-to-one I can kill you.
If everybody wore helmets at Sturgis a thousand people would die and another thousand would get paralyzed because helmets make a lot of people go nuts. They'd ride at 100-200 mph, they'd be doing flips and stunts, they'd be jumping canyons and fleets of busses. Yeah, I suppose that'd be a cool spectacle. Wear helmets next year, Sturgeons!
Isn't great how the PiPress decides which fatality reports we all can comment on and which ones we cannot?
Yeah its the helmets that MAKE people drive stupid. People don't kill people, guns do. Right?
zzzzz aka Trolls

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Aug 23, 2010
sdollinger wrote:
I am the biker's ex-wife, the mother of his 3 children. Your graphic description of the scene of the accident was seriously unnecessary. Please have some respect and discretion for his family, if not for a fellow biker. This was a very unfortunate accident which should have never happened to a wonderful man. He was a decorated retired Marine who lived his entire life as a Marine doing everything he could to protect his family and the country that he loved very much.
Next time you post something/anything online about whatever; think before you do and choose your words more appropriately. <quoted text>
While the graphic description is probably unnecessary, you looking at comments on here is equally unnecessary. It's not going to do you any good. Im not trying to be mean here, but don't waste your time reading people's comments about someone they do not know, it isn't going to be helpful for you.
Sorry for your loss.
sdollinger

Neenah, WI

#22 Aug 24, 2010
OK Dr Phil.
zzzzz aka Trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
While the graphic description is probably unnecessary, you looking at comments on here is equally unnecessary. It's not going to do you any good. Im not trying to be mean here, but don't waste your time reading people's comments about someone they do not know, it isn't going to be helpful for you.
Sorry for your loss.
zzzzz aka Trolls

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Aug 25, 2010
sdollinger wrote:
OK Dr Phil. <quoted text>
Well then don't come on here whining about what people are saying.
Gushhhhhh

Plymouth, MN

#24 Aug 25, 2010
Saw a near miss the other day on 36 and Demoterville Trail. A white pickup blew right threw the NB stop sign and a bike and car were within seconds of broadsiding the truck.

IF the bike hit the truck for sure a bad outcome. IF the car hit the truck the strapped in driver with air bag would have probably lived.
Margin of Error

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Aug 25, 2010
zzzzz aka Trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then don't come on here whining about what people are saying.
And the dick of the thread goes to..........

(drum roll please)
zzzzz aka Trolls

Lakeville, MN

#26 Aug 25, 2010
Margin of Error wrote:
<quoted text>
And the dick of the thread goes to..........
(drum roll please)
MARGIN OF ERROR!!!
Congrats!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Deadwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crazy Horse/The Great Spirit Gave Him A Shield Aug 10 Loyd Burleson 1
Gangs take over the reservations (Aug '09) Aug 9 walking erect 30
Harley returns Road Glide to product lineup Aug 2 Kevin Vincent 1
Hells angels give head on the highway to every ... (Jun '11) Jul '14 Lurch 20
Full throttle (Aug '13) Jul '14 1st timer 5
Jesse James Racing Off Road Truck at The Buffal... Jul '14 kurt bali 1
Sturgis Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 9
•••
•••
•••

Deadwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Deadwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Deadwood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Deadwood
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••