Relocating

Hillsboro, MO

#1 Aug 24, 2012
I am moving to Desoto and looking at a houses in Summerset lakes. Can anyone give me an opinion on the neighborhood and people there?
Home Towner

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Aug 25, 2012
Really nice gated community. Like everywhere else you always have people who don't or won't take care of their property. But for most part they are pretty strick with the rules. They have a real good board. I would give it a 8 out of 10 (10 being the best). Good luck on your decision. I have lots of friends and co-worker who live there and love it.
John

Festus, MO

#3 Nov 30, 2012
Lived there and will never move back. Old people run the lake and cant stand for young people to move in. they want to make it a retirement lake. Wouldnt suggest moving there.
scott

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Dec 2, 2012
Run! Don't walk away from this place!
Summer set homeowner

United States

#5 Feb 9, 2013
Nice lake but no fish in it check out monthly board meeting it is a joke board members don't run the lake just a couple of OLD farts run the show
Concerned

Bonne Terre, MO

#6 Feb 22, 2013
My husband and I are in the market for a house. I really like a house that is currently for sale in Summerset. We would really rather have a few acres to ourselves but I am really starting to like the idea of living in a lake community. I feel like it is a good compromise to needing outdoor recreation for us and our children and affording a nice house at the same time. I really like the added safety of a gated community, but I also don't want to live in an area with over-controlling security. I have never heard anything bad about the lake. Just thought maybe I could get some insight from other property owners here.
yikes!

Festus, MO

#7 Feb 22, 2013
Not bad if ur into electric shock therapy! Did they ever find out what was wrong with the lake?
Grace

United States

#8 Feb 23, 2013
Yes, Ameren UE has taken care of the electrical problem in Spring Lake.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#9 Feb 26, 2013
Summerset is a really nice subdivision. The houses are really nice, the amenities are nice, the school district is small and focused on children but if I knew then what I know now I would not have moved my family into this subdivision. The board and security guard are a click. Quite a few guards get away with everything...Ignorant attitudes, liars, laziness, relatives working for relatives is never a good idea, just to name a few. If anything is brought to the board it is swept under the rug and nothing ever changes. I personally would think about these things before making your decision.
Thank you

Bonne Terre, MO

#10 Mar 2, 2013
God-Loves-Us wrote:
Summerset is a really nice subdivision. The houses are really nice, the amenities are nice, the school district is small and focused on children but if I knew then what I know now I would not have moved my family into this subdivision. The board and security guard are a click. Quite a few guards get away with everything...Ignorant attitudes, liars, laziness, relatives working for relatives is never a good idea, just to name a few. If anything is brought to the board it is swept under the rug and nothing ever changes. I personally would think about these things before making your decision.
Thank you for your truth about the lake. The things you mentioned are exactly the things I was worried about. I think we will concentrate our search for a new house elsewhere. I cannot express how greatfulbI am to hear the truth from someone who actually lives there.
truthful

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Mar 8, 2013
I too live in Summerset, and if you mind your own business and do your own thing, you very rarely have to deal with the cliques and issues above. I have lived here for over 10 years, the experience I've had has been positive. Neighbors look out for each other and help each other out. The lake and amenities are awesome especially in the summer, and if you are moving to a small town, get used to gossip and cliques, they are everywhere! I love Summerset and wouldn't raise my kids anywhere else.
Happy

De Soto, MO

#12 Mar 11, 2013
We have lived in Summerset Lake sub. for almost 30 years. We have had our ups and downs through the years but would not think of living anywhere else. We are one of the old folks that the other memo was refering to but we and most other older people love to see the young families move into the subdivision. The plus points of this community is the security, the cost of utilities, and of course the lake which offers a ton of diffent activities. And to challange another post we DO have fish in these lakes. I have caught many over the years.
Tax payer

United States

#13 Mar 25, 2013
I've heard through the county that summer set is almost bankrupt and their sewer system is failing and the DNR is getting ready to levy a thousands of dollars fine
Wade Clark

Saint Charles, MO

#14 Jan 23, 2014
We owned property here.There are a few board members which control everything at the lake. They can do anything including running around with 4-wheeler, patrolling the lake with guns, and stopping every car that they don't know. The board members buy distressed non-lakefront properties for $2,000 and sell them for $8-10,000. The campsite is below the dam in a mosquito infected area. Do not buy here!!!
haha

Festus, MO

#15 Jan 29, 2014
Wade they have never stopped me. Lol they arent the police they cant just stop you. As far a distressed properties for 2000. Thats a stretch.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

De Soto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lorenzo's in DeSoto 1 hr Spaghetti lover 12
school board members who need to be voted out 1 hr Desoto needs an a... 6
Soccer goals (Jul '13) 6 hr Leachmark707 5
DeSoto School Board Tries Again!! 7 hr mom of 3 12
Desoto shoe co. (Jul '10) 11 hr missy 8
Looking for an old truck (Oct '11) 21 hr Moejoe 7
seth Hilton aka "tater" 23 hr sup 1
De Soto Dating
Find my Match

De Soto Jobs