Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tac...

Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tacos restaurant for kissing ...

There are 334 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jul 9, 2009, titled Two gay men kicked out of Chico's Tacos restaurant for kissing .... In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Two gay men kissed at a Chico's Tacos restaurant, prompting guards to eject them and a police officer to endorse their ouster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Anon

Las Cruces, NM

#34 Jul 9, 2009
Bravo to the heroic rent-a-cops and brave officer of the El Paso police department. Who knows how many restaurant patrons might have caught the gay if they had not stepped in to protect the public!!! Good job! <Scarcasm>
lady

United States

#35 Jul 9, 2009
we'll chico's tacos just lost me as a customer because it is no different than a man and a women kiss or two girls only because they are men, did it hit a funny bone to one of the workers and that rookie officer because he just help this couple win big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Betos Burrito Alegre

Florissant, CO

#36 Jul 9, 2009
What are doing at a taco joint? Don't they prefer burritos?
_Arrrrrrr

United States

#37 Jul 9, 2009
Well the verdict is that Chicos Tacos does reserve the right however due to the matter of judging ones conduct in a puplic outlet it's no different had they walked into any establishment using foul language disrupting service.
Not everyone has to accept homosexual behavior anywhere anymore than anyone has to accept bad behavior from the general public.
Here in the SF GAY CAPITOL of the world, trust me we have restuarants where gays would never display this kind of behavior because doing so is inviting trouble so they should show some form of manners and or respect if they want to be respected and served and treated like human beings.
I've watched how gays carry on at times and they want us to see them in full view of their actions
funny seems they always start off with a nibble then a kiss then they start feeling each other up as if nothing because what I have seen is that it is always about them, they want attention they want rights they want to marry they want to adopt children they want to hold block parties where they can parade around naked and perform sexual acts before the public eye as if nothing after all they do not respect moral principles, then they wonder why alot of people dont accept their behavior as normal.
The part where Chico's Tacos messed up is that they have to better train the security rent a cops because these wanna be cops can get a business in a lot of trouble if they start calling people names like fags and whatever then kick them out, two wrongs dont make a right.
Just Sayin

White Sands Missile Range, NM

#38 Jul 9, 2009
Why in the world does Chico's Tacos need security guards for anyway?
Tired of Stupids

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Jul 9, 2009
95Aggie wrote:
<quoted text>Right, like they can refuse to serve blacks because of their skin color, people speaking a language other than English, people of a different religious background than themselves. Oh wait! No, they can't!
If you, as a restaurant owner/manager, have an issue with a customer's behavior and ask them to leave that's one thing. To use slurs and derogatory language in addressing them is something else. For a police officer to threaten a citizen based on false information and invalidated laws is totally unacceptable.
Actually, they CAN refuse service if they don't speaka de English. Many businesses reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. This means at any time, for any reason.

Now, if your reason is something others view as wrong, such as Denny's not serving blacks (why they did, I'll never understand) or a place refusing to serve someone dressed in a burka(sp?) or something, the smart play is to just ask them politely to leave without giving a specific reason, because that is how you open yourself up to lawsuits, whether justified or not. Personally, I would think that in this economic climate, you don't refuse paying customers at all, unless they are creating a situation where you are actually likely to lose other business. I do not think this was the case here. Just sounds to me like rent-a-cop bully attitude, pissed off because they are a failure with a dead-end job. Did you see Observe and Report?
Anon

Las Cruces, NM

#41 Jul 9, 2009
<too
You know

Las Cruces, NM

#42 Jul 9, 2009
To protect us from the gay menace...
Just Sayin wrote:
_Arrrrrrr

United States

#43 Jul 9, 2009
Just Sayin wrote:
WHY? because of LOW LIFE CHOLO's thats why.

Since: Apr 08

Las Cruces, NM

#44 Jul 9, 2009
Border Native-American wrote:
I would have booted them out too.
Good job Chico's Tacos, sounds like a decent fast food place to take the family.
You really have never been to Chico's have you? LOL! Decent fast food place? Not even close...
Steve J

Chicago, IL

#45 Jul 9, 2009
Totally Fed Up wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI, a business, whether a restaurant or whatever, has the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they deem important. If this is the way they felt, they were justified to ask them to leave.
Sorry, but they don't. The City of El Paso has a human rights ordinace protecting the rights of gay people. Chico's is violating the law and can (and should be) sued for discrimination. Chicago's can be fined or Chico's can have its licence to operate revoked as a public accomodation.
Steve J

Chicago, IL

#46 Jul 9, 2009
Actually, I'm surprised to learn this about Texas. I thought Texans only had sex with live stock.
Dave in the 575

Las Cruces, NM

#47 Jul 9, 2009
Normally, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone but El Paso passed an ordinance stating that businesses can't refuse service based on gender, race, or sexual orientation. Like it or not, Chico's Taco's broke the law and are probably going to get sued for this incident.
Dave in the 575

Las Cruces, NM

#48 Jul 9, 2009
Border Native-American wrote:
I would have booted them out too.
Good job Chico's Tacos, sounds like a decent fast food place to take the family.
What if they hate Native Americans too?
Sick of Gays

Degerfors, Sweden

#49 Jul 9, 2009
Gays need to keep their perversion behind closed doors. Nobody (no normal decent person) eating at a restaurant wants to see two men kissing. That's totally disgusting and inappropriate.
Good ol boy

Las Cruces, NM

#50 Jul 9, 2009
Steve J wrote:
Actually, I'm surprised to learn this about Texas. I thought Texans only had sex with live stock.
Steers and queers!!!
silent majority

United States

#51 Jul 9, 2009
for just a minute, forget the laws, rhetoric, etc, and what i am about to type below is the truth, like it or not:

Right now there are thousands who would love to high-five the security guards for their actions, and will go to Chico's Tacos just to support them.

In the very near future, Chico's will probably issue some type of apology statement, and then those same thousands will then be disappointed at Chico's for caving under the pressure of the annoyingly vocal mega-minority. For every angry response to this post, their will be hundreds who silently read and say,"true, true. what is this world coming to?"

And they will likely never post or speak up.
Tired of Stupids

Albuquerque, NM

#52 Jul 9, 2009
Steve J wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but they don't. The City of El Paso has a human rights ordinace protecting the rights of gay people. Chico's is violating the law and can (and should be) sued for discrimination. Chicago's can be fined or Chico's can have its licence to operate revoked as a public accomodation.
No, they did not violate that law, unless they told the men to leave 'because you're gay.' They told them to leave because they were making a scene, which could in extreme cases or by an a-hole cop be construed as disturbing the peace.
Tired of Stupids

Albuquerque, NM

#53 Jul 9, 2009
Dave in the 575 wrote:
Normally, businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone but El Paso passed an ordinance stating that businesses can't refuse service based on gender, race, or sexual orientation. Like it or not, Chico's Taco's broke the law and are probably going to get sued for this incident.
No, they did not violate that law, unless they told the men to leave 'because you're gay.' They told them to leave because they were making a scene, which could in extreme cases or by an a-hole cop be construed as disturbing the peace. Stupid, yes. Illegal, no.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#54 Jul 9, 2009
Sick of Gays wrote:
Gays need to keep their perversion behind closed doors. Nobody (no normal decent person) eating at a restaurant wants to see two men kissing. That's totally disgusting and inappropriate.
Two people kissing isn't "inappropriate" and no normal, decent person is so freaked out by it. You're the one with a problem.
Being gay isn't a "perversion," nor is kissing. What needs to be kept behind closed doors is your bigotry and ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

De Leon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Take a boat ride Fri Dr Gerald Demal 2
News De Leon man dies in Kennedale wreck (Mar '09) Apr '16 Kristy Sturdivant 3
Patricia Aguilar (Aug '10) Apr '16 Hmv 2
De Leon Police Dept. (Apr '09) Mar '16 Mari 212
Vote For Donald Trump Feb '16 Vote For Trump 1
Kathy Linderholm (Nov '13) Feb '16 Mari 7
Kerry Sheppard (Aug '13) Jan '16 got that right 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

De Leon Mortgages