Future of sidewalk project could be decided Tuesday

There are 6 comments on the Victoria Advocate story from Jul 6, 2009, titled Future of sidewalk project could be decided Tuesday. In it, Victoria Advocate reports that:

Originally published July 6, 2009 at 4:57 p.m., updated July 6, 2009 at 5 p.m. Plans to design and engineer the downtown sidewalk and street improvement project were approved in January by a split city council.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Victoria Advocate.

moving sidewalks

United States

#1 Jul 6, 2009
If you want to see how NOT to do a downtown sidewalk, just check out the downtown of De Leon, Texas. Talk about screwed up, the sidewalks are "ADA approved" and are a maze of up and down steps and rails placed oddly all over the place. You'd have to see it and use it to believe it.
Jace

Cisco, TX

#2 Jul 7, 2009
Agree. It is especially clumsy for us clumsy people that walk with our heads in the clouds. Couldn't tell you how many times I've tripped.
long-haired country boy

United States

#3 Jul 7, 2009
i watch where my feet are going when i walk and still trip over the cracks. it is bad on us older folks with bad knees to walk on a sidewalk here. i feel sorry for those in wheelchairs who have to use the walkways. i guess the money set aside for that project was spent on something else.
bad idea

Houston, TX

#4 Jul 7, 2009
long-haired country boy wrote:
i watch where my feet are going when i walk and still trip over the cracks. it is bad on us older folks with bad knees to walk on a sidewalk here. i feel sorry for those in wheelchairs who have to use the walkways. i guess the money set aside for that project was spent on something else.
For those who use a power chair, it's a horrible obstacle course. Great example of what happens when the government is in charge of something. All common sense is lost.
Jace

Cisco, TX

#5 Jul 8, 2009
bad idea wrote:
<quoted text>
For those who use a power chair, it's a horrible obstacle course. Great example of what happens when the government is in charge of something. All common sense is lost.
Wow. I kept telling myself that even though it was dangerous for me, it was at least a benefit for people with disabilities. If it is even hazardous for them, it needs to be immediately ripped up and re-done.
long-haired country boy

United States

#6 Aug 26, 2009
maybe they are starting. the steps across the alley from the library have yellow tape across them on one side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

De Leon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
He Sold His Families Farm (Jul '14) May 20 Tenbears 3
Wonder why the city allows all these weeds arou... May 14 Maria 1
Message board (Mar '10) Apr 24 herosly 21
melody beach finally got busted!! (Dec '12) Apr '15 Ring leader 29
News Dozens in Texas Town Report Seeing UFO (Jan '08) Apr '15 Zen_Tangle 559
Everyone in De Leon should be outraged at the p... Mar '15 Gas in Delon TX 6
De Leon Police Dept. (Apr '09) Mar '15 Mari Miller 201
More from around the web

De Leon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE