riverside school
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RIVERSIDE MOM

Mount Vernon, OH

#1 Aug 15, 2009
Riverside School needs to be shut down and the kids bused to area schools. This school is a joke. You are passing kids with straight F's. You are not taking the time to help or test kids that need extra help. Like kindergartens that can't read or recognize there ABC's but we move them to another grade and parents have to fight to get them tested to make sure they get the help they need. You don't even have a superintendent for the 2009-2010 school year yet. You are a joke. If I had another car or could afford to drive my kids to another district I would it is sad that these kids are not learning if you compare them to other kids from other districts worry about teaching them instead of how much money you are going to get.
Heres a thought

Hamilton, OH

#2 Aug 15, 2009
RIVERSIDE MOM wrote:
Riverside School needs to be shut down and the kids bused to area schools. This school is a joke. You are passing kids with straight F's. You are not taking the time to help or test kids that need extra help. Like kindergartens that can't read or recognize there ABC's but we move them to another grade and parents have to fight to get them tested to make sure they get the help they need. You don't even have a superintendent for the 2009-2010 school year yet. You are a joke. If I had another car or could afford to drive my kids to another district I would it is sad that these kids are not learning if you compare them to other kids from other districts worry about teaching them instead of how much money you are going to get.
Maybe you should get off the computer and try spending the time with your own child and teach them the skills that they are behind in. Most districts wont take children that dont at least know some of their ABC's and name,phone number,Address etc. so i guess your lucky they took your child at all. I do agree with you on sending children on to the next grade if they are not ready as well as the tooth and nail fighting it takes to get a child tested at that school. BUT you as a parent need to push and make the school do it. If you dont have your childs best interest at heart no one else over there will either. So get off your rear and make some changes for your child, Dont wait for someone else to do it for you. And do you work? if so would you like to work for someone for 4-5 years without a raise? I know I would not and neither do they!! RHS did hire a new super as well and I think the community need's to give the new ones a chance to make a difference before throwing in the towel, It will not be an overnight fix to all RHS problems but we need to have positive thoughts.JMO
parent

Sidney, OH

#3 Aug 15, 2009
Riverside Mom, You really need to check your facts. The teachers did not get raises in their contracts. We did hire a superintendant. If your kids getting "F"'s, then you need to do something about it. If your kid doesnt know their ABC's, then teach them. If you think your kid has a learning dissability and the school has not realized that then you can request the testing or take your child and have him or her tested. Take responsibility for your kids and stop blaming the school.
also a parent

Youngstown, OH

#4 Aug 16, 2009
I know when my children were little one of the most exciting things was when WE taught them there ABC's at age three or four! In my opinion that is something they should be taught before they even enter kindergarden!!! I know I would feel the same way if I thought my child had a learning disabilty and was not getting the proper attention but also as a parent you could pick up on that before now. You are the one that does there homework with them!!!Please do not take this the wrong way but your comment about shutting Riverside down I found a little out of line! Maybe as a parent you should open your eyes and ears to your childs needs also!
RIVERSIDE MOM

Mount Vernon, OH

#5 Aug 16, 2009
Okay so I was not very clear on my standing with my child. I work with him everyday. He knows his addy phone number and all that fun loving stuff before he went to school. He knows his Letters to a certain point he gets them confused still even with working with him daily. He is in speech therapy. And I am very active in his life as far as working with him. I know I got the run around a lot last year. And was told many things by many different people and believe my son suffered from it. We will see how this year goes As I know they have changed things and Have been trying to change things. But I don't think that the children should be passed over just because they are not catching on. I went to every meeting and even went to class or called when I had concerns. My son's teacher last year was great working with him and went out of her way for him. I am not complaining about the teachers at all. So sorry if it came off like that. thanks.
Ivy

Lima, OH

#6 Aug 16, 2009
Riverside Mom:
I know it can be very frusrating when a child seems to be falling behind of his or her peers. Has your child been tested for dyslexia? Some children are just a little bit slower catching on to things than other children. Continue to work with them on a daily basis, even if it seems like they are not making progress. Read, read, read, to them. I can not stess that enough. Make learning fun. Count how many steps it is from their room to the kitchen, or count how many cars of a certain color you see on a trip to town. When shopping give them a letter to look for on cans of food or in signs. There are many ways to incorporate learning in to everyday life.
In the world we live we can not expect the schools and teachers to do it all.(I am not saying that you do because you sound like you are trying.) It is a very competitive world we live in and everything that you can do as a parent to give your child a head start is very important. Keep your head up and look for even the slightest improvement to give yourself confidence to know that you are doing the right things. Good Luck!
interesting information

Mount Vernon, OH

#7 Aug 22, 2009
were you all aware the EVERY STUDENT in middle school passed last year EVERY STUDENT!!!!!
and believe me I know damn well of at least 6 students that failed 5 consecutive classes ALL YEAR. and that there GPA's were only .06 or lower so yes there is some concern going on..I also know that the families of these children were never contacted about any learning issues So you tell me what are you suppose to do when you pay your fee's and you go to the meeting, and you talk with the committees and still nothing is done..
If someone could help clarify this please let me know..
thanks
clarification

Mansfield, OH

#8 Aug 22, 2009
each parent can access his/her child's progress on the school's website at ALL TIMES!!

Lazy, excuse giving parents.
HEY

Bellefontaine, OH

#9 Aug 22, 2009
Riverside is no spring chicken now, the teachers are lazy asses and no one can argue that fact half the kids there are educated below where they should be and we keep on passing them cause the teachers do not want to work with them.
What Now

Oxford, OH

#10 Aug 23, 2009
And Yet the High School students score a perfect score on all their state mandated tests making Riverside one of the best in the county for their test scores. Again, let's look at the positives and not the negatives.
The Truth

Wapakoneta, OH

#11 Aug 23, 2009
I feel sorry for some of the children in this district for the parents they have. There is allot wrong with this district, but parents must take a vital role in their child's education and not leave it all to the school and teachers. Parents set the agenda, and if education is not priority in your house, don't expect great results.
next 2 text

AOL

#12 Aug 23, 2009
RIVERSIDE MOM wrote:
Oh give it rest!!!! If it's not Degraff itslef your bashing it's the school, police department, village council and the list goes on. I have a wonderful suggestion. You say "if you had another car or could" If you can teach so much better than home school your kids and quit bashing Riverside. Better yet volunteer some of your time helping out. Wow!!! what a concept. Your welcome.
next 2 text

AOL

#13 Aug 23, 2009
HEY wrote:
Riverside is no spring chicken now, the teachers are lazy asses and no one can argue that fact half the kids there are educated below where they should be and we keep on passing them cause the teachers do not want to work with them.
Oh another forum troll. Why don't you go down to the school and tell them what you think of them instead of hiding on topix.
next 2 text

AOL

#14 Aug 23, 2009
What Now wrote:
And Yet the High School students score a perfect score on all their state mandated tests making Riverside one of the best in the county for their test scores. Again, let's look at the positives and not the negatives.
Finally someone checked out the facts before using his keyboard. I say of you don't like Degraff or it's schools, MOVE!!!!
This is stupid

Dayton, OH

#15 Aug 23, 2009
This is entertaining and I rarley ever post, but I just could not resist the temptation. I can't figure out why anyone would waste energy in their fingers it takes to reply to the garbage posted on topix. If this is your source for whats really going on in our schools, you are clueless at best.

Good Luck
1999RHS

Sidney, OH

#16 Aug 23, 2009
I can clarify a lot of this Parents have to keep track of their children's progress grades etcetera themselves if your child is failing it is your job to go into the school and demand your child be held back! Instead of blaming the school why don't you blame the state this is all because of the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ACT...Teachers are not allowed to fail students! Look into it!!! How could the parents not know can they not call the school or do your kids just not show their grade cards to you??? Maybe if we as parents are more active in our kid's education then we wouldn't have these issues but before you go blaming the school you really ought to find the root cause of this because the school has to follow whatever the state requires! This is not directed at you personally but to those parents that are not involved in their kids education. I hope this does clarify a lot of this for you. I have often wondered about this as well. I think that they need to get rid of this ACT it is Bull. There are people on here that can't even spell What the heck this is a computer how about spell check. Education in America right now to put it blunt Stinks it isn't just certain schools!

interesting information wrote:
were you all aware the EVERY STUDENT in middle school passed last year EVERY STUDENT!!!!!
and believe me I know damn well of at least 6 students that failed 5 consecutive classes ALL YEAR. and that there GPA's were only .06 or lower so yes there is some concern going on..I also know that the families of these children were never contacted about any learning issues So you tell me what are you suppose to do when you pay your fee's and you go to the meeting, and you talk with the committees and still nothing is done..
If someone could help clarify this please let me know..
thanks
Lets put it this way

Bellefontaine, OH

#17 Aug 24, 2009
when you only have 40 seniors and 28 of them pass of course the percentage will look high on national scores what about the schools that have 550 seniors and 280 pass thats less percentage then 28 out of 40. Everyone is on here complaining but i can guarentee you the schools teachers arent over working themselves to help the kids. Also the schools to busy whining for money and begging the town to worry about teaching the kids.
i know

Arlington, OH

#18 Aug 24, 2009
good post Lets put it this way.. The teachers arent overworking themselves teaching,, their too busy gossiping, or putting down the kids to teach.

Since: Aug 09

DeGraff

#19 Aug 24, 2009
I am a riverside graduate from recent years and i can say that they are doing the best that they can with the funds available to them. However i do think the money they do have could be spent more wisely. You should look at graduating classes and just see how many actually go to colledge, you will find that it is a large percentage.
i know

Arlington, OH

#20 Aug 25, 2009
how many go to college, but how many actually finish and graduate. and teaching has nothing to do with how much money they have to work with, a good teacher could teach with little to nothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

De Graff Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spradlin's Auto Repair Fri EasyRider 1
Looking For Emily Gorby (Mar '12) Apr 25 Help Please 35
april darer (Jun '14) Apr 22 Bottomfeeder 4
bingo Apr 21 Heaven 2
Boondock hours Apr 21 Winner 18
What is the best way to wipe your bottom after ... (Apr '10) Apr 20 hornynow 119
TRIBE Pow-wow (Aug '11) Apr 16 Nub 30
More from around the web

Personal Finance

De Graff Mortgages