Daytona Beach News Journal

Posted in the Daytona Beach Forum

M Serbousek

Daytona Beach, FL

#1 Nov 24, 2011
Wow! Recently read the thread titled "Harbor Point Media Down The Drain" regarding The Daytona Beach News Journal, Publisher Michael Redding and Editor Pat Rice. At first read I thought that it was probably just sour grapes from unhappy employees, but after reading a few recent issues of our daily local, it seems clear that these guys have no journalistic integrity. Some of these articles have not been journalism but a clear attempt at bullying those that don't fall into line. Apparently, this is what these guys are known for. With circulation at a steep decline, it appears that ad dollars will follow as the community takes notice. It's a sad day for the people of Volusia County.
Beaner

Daytona Beach, FL

#2 Nov 24, 2011
Yep, I read that thread too. I heard from a couple of News Journal employees that Michael Redding and Pat Rice were an unscrupulous pair. From what I understand, Pat Rice is actually underqualified to be an editor but he works cheap and is the only guy willing to allow stories and editorials that attack the community at Reddings request. Michael Redding tells him who to go after and Pat Rice assigns the attack piece to their so called journalist. I actually remember reading a story on Flaglerlive.com where Michael Redding offered his editorial staff money to sell subscriptions and advertising! Are you kidding me? What happened to the so called journalistic integrity? Journalist selling subscriptions? If I were a journalist, I would be embarrassed to work there!

Recent emails from News Journal employees show a reach of approximately 340,000 adults per week (less than 50,000 daily) while the Daytona Beach News Journals Jim Witters April 2010 story (read it here):

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/local/...

claims a daily circulation of 95,000. Holy Toledo!!! Has circulation really dropped by nearly half under Michael Redding's and Pat Rice's watch? Why are these yahoos still there? Have Jackson Farrow, Rupert Phillips and Noel Stauss (the real owners of the News Journal) lost their collective minds?

As the community awakens and starts to realize that these yahoos are not real journalist, but bullies with a pen, a groundswell will develop and circulation will further decline and ad revenue will dry up. Jackson, Rupert and Noel....... how safe is that 20 million? Do you feel lucky?
Marketing Pro

Daytona Beach, FL

#3 Nov 24, 2011
While hard to believe, I guess you're right. I just read Jim Witters article and to say that I'm stunned is an understatement! Circulation would appear to be half of what it was just 16 months ago. They are quickly becoming an irrelevant source of advertising. Time to seriously reduce their pricing or turn my marketing dollars elsewhere!
Fitus T Bluster

Winter Park, FL

#4 Nov 24, 2011
Craigslist is killing all the newspapers.
Marketing Pro

Daytona Beach, FL

#5 Nov 24, 2011
How so? I don"t see the relevance between one and the other. What am I missing? I believe the Daytona Beach News Journal's issues are self inflicted by Michael Redding and Pat Rice due to bad management and poor ethics. How does Craigslist apply?
Lillian Bell

Spring Hill, FL

#6 Nov 25, 2011
Hard to see how a journalist can call himself/herself so while peddling subscriptions and ads. Beaner, you hit the nail on the head! There is no journalistic integrity at the News Journal. That guy Michael Redding needs to go back wherever he came from and take his so called editor Pat Rice with him. Subscriptions down by half!!!! That should tell us all something!

Here's the link to the FlaglerLive.com story:

http://flaglerlive.com/20095/michael-redding-...
C Dickinson

Spring Hill, FL

#7 Nov 25, 2011
Apparently this Michael Redding guy is quite the character, even the Miami New Times is covering this story of unethical behavior on the part of Mr. Redding and the Daytona Beach News Journal.

Here it is as reported in the Miami New Times:

Even in this rapidly changing media environment, there's one golden rule any news publication worth the paper its printed on still abides by: a strict wall between sales and editorial. Well, The Daytona Beach News-Journal has decided to offer bonuses to its editorial staff for selling advertisements and subscriptions.

Like most daily papers in Florida, The News-Journal has been down on its luck. Revenues, staff, and circulation have all dropped in the past few years.

Current publisher Michael Redding took on co-ownership of the paper about a year ago and, according to Poynter, has rolled out a ridiculous new bonus initiative: "Anyone selling a three-month subscription to the paper would get a $25 bonus, or $50 for a six-month subscription. Anyone selling $100 worth of advertising would get $50."

"Anyone" includes reporters. In case you weren't aware, this presents an unorthodox conflict of interest. Every serious paper that purports to report the news in an unbiased journal keeps its reporters as far away from selling advertisements as possible. It presents the opportunity for a source or story subject to offer to buy an ad from a reporter in order to soften its coverage.

"People are just so freaked out by this situation. I think there's Stockholm syndrome going on," one employee tells Poynter. "I'm worried about it becoming mandatory, not just an incentive."

If you ever hear similar schemes coming out of the offices of The Miami Herald, Sun-Sentinel, or New Times, it pretty much means it's game over for the South Florida media.

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.

What in the world have we gotten ourselves into with this Michael Redding guy? What have they done to our local newspaper?
Lindsey Kyle

Daytona Beach, FL

#8 Nov 27, 2011
Newspapers are a dying breed, the News Journal is no different. As an auto dealer, I have been moving my marketing dollars to internet based media. Most car shoppers nowadays start their search online. I spend no money on the News Journal anymore. The biggest bang for my dollar is Autotrader.com .
Tom

Daytona Beach, FL

#9 Nov 27, 2011
Part of the problem with the News-Journal is that they are still following a lot of antiquated ideas. First is the format of the paper - they should have switched to a tabloid style long ago instead of clinging to the 'cover the whole table' style they use. They are not the NY Times - and don't have the audience for that. Second, of course, is the reporting itself. Better coverage of local stories with lots more pictures would help. More of a 'Daily News' type format.
However, I am afraid it is too late for them.
Insurance Guy

Daytona Beach, FL

#10 Nov 28, 2011
I scrapped my advertising dollars with the News Journal a long time ago because of Pat Rice's antics. That guy is not qualified aa the employees will quietly tell you. By extension, I would say that Michael Redding is not qualified if he does not see the problem. From what I understand, Michael Redding used to sell ads at the News Journal under the Davidson's ownership. Experts will tell you that sales people have a certain mindset which is different than a managers. If his background is a sales guy, he will always be that way. His goal will be to sell, sell, sell! The quality and integrity of the content falls to a distant second in terms of his priorities.
R Brown

Daytona Beach, FL

#12 Dec 1, 2011
I don't know why any one here cares about the News Journal anyway. Daily newspapers are a dying breed and are completey irrelevant. Arouund the country (not just in Daytona Beach) circulations are way down as less and less people are getting their news from them. Think about it for a minute, if you want to buy a car, where does your search begin? Not in the local paper. Research has shown that most car buyers start their search online. This is the same for many, many products. The point being that newspapers are irrelevant and are on a downward trend.
S Smith

Spring Hill, FL

#13 Dec 1, 2011
I cannot believe that the News Journal has filed suit against a company attempting to bring dollars into our Ocean Center! What in the world are they thinking? Greed, pure greed! I am simply stunned! They know how badly our Ocean Center needs the revenue. That Michael Redding should be completely ashamed of himself. He is thinking only about his bottom line and not the greater good of the community. The Davidson's would have never done such a thing. Shame, shame, shame! I currently get the paper only on Sunday, but no more!
J Browning

Daytona Beach, FL

#14 Jan 1, 2012
The Halifax Media Bunch came to town and hundreds of News Journal employees lost their jobs. They have done nothing for our community and now they are suing some poor slob to prevent competition. Less events at our Ocean Center only hurt us as a community. These guys are selfish and only care about company profits.

Now we hear that they are attempting to purchase other newspapers around the country.......good luck to the employees of those newspapers and the citizens of those communities!
Just Saying

Ormond Beach, FL

#15 Jan 9, 2012
I wrapped some fish in that rag Sunday and damn it they got sick and threw up.
Have to use something better next time
Joe

Lady Lake, FL

#16 Jan 9, 2012
Rumor has it Pat Rice's job is in serious Jeopardy. Fault is blamed on sales- sales blames the reporters. Unfortunately a sales person is only as good as the product they sell if they want to deal in mass production or circulation. DBNJ is on the political payroll most people [or everybody] should already know that. Redding promised to go after local politics with vengence- he didn't keep it. Roland Via points out that mis-information/dis-informatio n can be dangerous. It's a strong point he makes it often.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daytona Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Really William Green? 10 hr eddie 1
11 arrested in Daytona Beach drug bust (Mar '07) 10 hr eddie 45
Husband of woman charged in South Daytona fatal... 13 hr Crow 5
Bike week T-shirts? 16 hr BeHereNow 2
Anthony powers Fri Gail 2
Piccadilly Cafeteria in Volusia serves restaura... Dec 25 Joe 1
Tis the season to dump cases! Dec 25 Joe 3
Daytona Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web