Daytona Beach police arrest 15 in anti-nudity crackdown

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Daytona Beach police arrested 15 people over the weekend in a crackdown over violations of the city's anti-nudity ordinance.
Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cave creek kev

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

consenting adults---who cares??
A daytona resident

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Daytona Beach is a resort town. It is time that we as residents realize that the reason why it is such a beautiful place to live for 10 or so months out of the year is because of the events we must deal with several times a year. Prostitution and exotic dancers always seem to go hand in hand with major events. I am not a fan of prostitution or drug use and I believe that these clubs offer patrons the opportunity to get their fix without exposing others to their vice. It is a victimless crime. We should be focusing on other issues.
Rob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Boy we'll sleep better tonight knowing that Gary Bauer is on the job! I think I saw someone jaywalking this morning. Better send out some enforcers to keep us safe.
Dave

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Better start to clean it up or it will end up like Orlando in a few years. Crime and a place people want to leave. I don't consider the theme parks a part of the city.
DABstudent

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

A daytona resident wrote:
Daytona Beach is a resort town. It is time that we as residents realize that the reason why it is such a beautiful place to live for 10 or so months out of the year is because of the events we must deal with several times a year. Prostitution and exotic dancers always seem to go hand in hand with major events. I am not a fan of prostitution or drug use and I believe that these clubs offer patrons the opportunity to get their fix without exposing others to their vice. It is a victimless crime. We should be focusing on other issues.
I totally agreed with your comment. To my knowledge theres still a serial killer out in town.
Happy Face

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

As Johnny Cocran would say........If the girls were cute, don't prosicute
Darwin

North Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Dave wrote:
Better start to clean it up or it will end up like Orlando in a few years. Crime and a place people want to leave. I don't consider the theme parks a part of the city.
Clean up what? The result of your proposed 'clean-up' will drive these activities underground, which will likely invite even more unsavory elements into your midst. Leave it where it is- on the 'fringe' of your community; at least you can see it and avoid it.
Pachacutec

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

I agree that what consenting adults do among themselves is their own business. But drug use and prostitution are victimless crimes? Not necessarily. Many prostitutes are selling themselves to support drug habits. Many of the customers are robbed by prostitutes for drug money. If a prostitute can't make the money, she's often beaten up or even killed by her pimp. Or beaten up by a customer or another prostitute. As for people on drugs; many of them can't hold jobs and they have to get their drug money SOMEWHERE, so they go out and rob people.
moreSCUMBAG COPSinDaytona

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

My first time racing at Daytona was in 1973.
I've returned there to race and then to spectate and always to spend my DOLLAR$$$$.
Well, scrw U to all the nasty misfits that they employ as cops in Volusia county.
They (the pigs at Bike Week) have such arrogant attitudes and look for loopholes to hassle people. Even the innocent, the law abiding and the tax paying citizens are victims of the over zealous pig mentality prevalent at Bike Week.
You no longer get my money nor the dollars of many of my friends.
And you arrested some girl for showing her nipples. Oh, my God! I FEEL SAFER ALREADY.
Go get some real criminals. There are murders, muggings, rapes, robberies and real drug dealings going on. Oh, but that might mean getting off your fat butts and leaving the Dunkin Donuts.
It's no wonder a record number of cops were shot last yr. With the mentality you exhibit it looks like another bumper year on tap.
Jethro

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Just more of our well earned tax dollars wasted on frivoulous pursuits. I know I'll sleep better tonite knowing these criminal nudists have been busted and the serial killer is on the loose. The worlds most famous beach, indeed!
William Beem

Wildwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

How long before the Daytona cops start arresting newborn babies for being naked?
John G

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

When is government going to get it ? Tax revenue is not endless and priorities must be made.

Murder,rape, armed robbery, burglary, bare breasts.

Which one is not a priority ?
AGREED

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

---------- You are sooo right! These bikers bring in their money, their bikes, and want to have a nice time! So what if their naked!? We have nude beaches: nuditity is not fatal! It's not addictive! It's not going to corrupt you! And half of the time the naked people really should keep their clothes on...ICK! Who wants to see it!? Not me. But in reality.. we have so much bigger problems to worry about... I really wonder about the priorities of our State, and local agents. I am convinced that as the State & County feels the pinch.. that they are looking any law: including DON'T FEED THE PIDGEONS to keep the funds rolling in! Let it go Daytona ... and focus on REAL CRIME...
AGREED

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

moreSCUMBAG COPSinDaytona wrote:
My first time racing at Daytona was in 1973.
I've returned there to race and then to spectate and always to spend my DOLLAR$$$$.
Well, scrw U to all the nasty misfits that they employ as cops in Volusia county.
They (the pigs at Bike Week) have such arrogant attitudes and look for loopholes to hassle people. Even the innocent, the law abiding and the tax paying citizens are victims of the over zealous pig mentality prevalent at Bike Week.
You no longer get my money nor the dollars of many of my friends.
And you arrested some girl for showing her nipples. Oh, my God! I FEEL SAFER ALREADY.
Go get some real criminals. There are murders, muggings, rapes, robberies and real drug dealings going on. Oh, but that might mean getting off your fat butts and leaving the Dunkin Donuts.
It's no wonder a record number of cops were shot last yr. With the mentality you exhibit it looks like another bumper year on tap.
---------- Uh, yeah, I am with you... they even have a serial killer loose over there... and they are worried about naked people? Puh-lease...the Volusia County cops under John Tanner ... just don't seem to get it... FOCUS ON REALLL CRIME... don't view tourists as the FAT CAT ... whose gonna improve your budget thru nonsense...
Steve Wind

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Dave wrote:
We don't consider you a part of the city either. Stay in Oregon and comment on your own city.
NOT TRUE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> I agree that what consenting adults do among themselves is their own business. But drug use and prostitution are victimless crimes? Not necessarily. Many prostitutes are selling themselves to support drug habits. Many of the customers are robbed by prostitutes for drug money. If a prostitute can't make the money, she's often beaten up or even killed by her pimp. Or beaten up by a customer or another prostitute. As for people on drugs; many of them can't hold jobs and they have to get their drug money SOMEWHERE, so they go out and rob people.
---------- I need some facts to support this portrait of people robbing to support a habit. The fact is that there are millions of people addicted by prescription.. who are not robbing us. There are others who do drugs & do not rob us or commit crimes. Drug and alcohol abuse is just an excuse... many people use to justify bad behavior .. taking their drugs away ..does not stop crimes.. and nor does it necessarily create crime... look to Holland.. where drugs are legal. Do you see folks robbing anyone? No. If they were gonna rob you.. they will do it .. because their lazy no accounts.. period! End of story. Drugs did not make them do it! Anymore than drugs turned anyone into a homosexual .. you are what you are... and drugs, and criminal activity.. should not be linked so freely...
Incognito Johnson

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

John G wrote:
Murder,rape, armed robbery, burglary, bare breasts.
Which one is not a priority ?
Bare breasts are always a priority for me
Live Free or Die

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

It's worth noting that Orlando's crime rate has skyrocketed since the crackdown on adult businesses.

What say all you holier-than-thou types to this? After all, your arguments are based on the fact that adult businesses like topless clubs contribute to the crime rate. So how do you explain the crime rate rising exponentially after your moral crusades?
Live Free or Die

Titusville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

One more thing - how is it that in Europe, where sexual laws are much more relaxed and you can see nudity on television - how is it that they have a much lower rate of sexual crime?
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Shark Lounge, Club Tropic, and Molly Brown's sound like my kind of places. Too bad the coppers had to bust in and ruin everyones fun. Isn't there some real bad boy criminals in Daytona you guys could bust.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daytona Beach Discussions

Search the Daytona Beach Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 45 min Sick of them all 2,394
Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Thu Venom 706
Aaron Pohl (Apr '12) Thu Amylee 43
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Jul 22 nina roth 2,063
Stolen car almost sold by towing company Jul 22 Joe 2
Police: Fla. father beats accused child abuser Jul 21 Joe 7
Halifax Health board will take on greater role ... Jul 21 Joe 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Daytona Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••