Pitbull Owners-What is wrong with them?

Pitbull Owners-What is wrong with them?

Posted in the Daytona Beach Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dragonfly Hummingbird

Oviedo, FL

#1 Apr 25, 2014
Why is it that pitbull owners don't get that these dogs need to be restrained properly and not left alone where they can escape and attack people and other dogs? They always blame the person who had to kill their pet because they did not take care of them. One woman from NY complained that the man should not have shot her dog who was attacking a small dog being walked by it's owner. She did not need to let her dog run loose. The pitbull did not need to come to Florida. The Deltona woman who's dog had to be stabbed to death to stop it's attack complained that it was wrong to stab her pitbull which was going to kill a Chihuahua and bit a woman on her arm. The owner is at fault again, but blames the victims of the attack. The Holly Hill police officer had to shoot a pitbull because it was going to attack. Now the owner wants to make some money off the city by suing, even though the city paid the vet bill. Was the dog restrained properly? No, it was loose in a fenced yard. Just letting them out in a fenced area does not make for safe dog restraint. It's like leaving loaded guns around kids.
ThomasA

Wilsonville, AL

#2 Apr 25, 2014
They are in denial of the fact that THEIR animal would ever do anyone any harm . Many dogs have proved their masters wrong. It's not a matter of IF it will happen but When and to Whom? Then denial turns to damage control.
Nothing wrong with them

Apopka, FL

#3 Apr 28, 2014
Dragonfly Hummingbird wrote:
The Holly Hill police officer had to shoot a pitbull because it was going to attack. Now the owner wants to make some money off the city by suing, even though the city paid the vet bill. Was the dog restrained properly? No, it was loose in a fenced yard. Just letting them out in a fenced area does not make for safe dog restraint. It's like leaving loaded guns around kids.
Please get your facts straight.
1. The dog was not a Pitbull it was a Rottweiler.
2. The police officer was at the wrong residence, and after speaking to the owner of the home for half an hour he then trespassed into the backyard with out letting the home owner know.
3. There is nothing wrong with having your pet in your fenced back yard.

Overall Larger breed dogs get a bad rep. The only time I have ever been bitten was by smaller dogs. One was a poodle, and the other was a Yorkshire Terrier, both times their owners were letting their dogs run loose in their FRONT yards.

Stop the hate on the Pitbull.
Dragonfly Hummingbird

Oviedo, FL

#4 Apr 29, 2014
Yesterday ANOTHER PITBULL attack on a police officer! The dog was supposed to be in quarantine for a previous attack. This is always an owner issue, not a dog issue. They let the dog out against the quarantine (it killed three little dogs April 24th).
http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13...

Again I say, it's the owners that are the problem.
Dragonfly Hummingbird

Oviedo, FL

#5 Apr 29, 2014
Nothing wrong with them wrote:
<quoted text>
Please get your facts straight.
1. The dog was not a Pitbull it was a Rottweiler.
2. The police officer was at the wrong residence, and after speaking to the owner of the home for half an hour he then trespassed into the backyard with out letting the home owner know.
3. There is nothing wrong with having your pet in your fenced back yard.
Overall Larger breed dogs get a bad rep. The only time I have ever been bitten was by smaller dogs. One was a poodle, and the other was a Yorkshire Terrier, both times their owners were letting their dogs run loose in their FRONT yards.
Stop the hate on the Pitbull.
1. You are correct about which dangerous breed was in Holly HIll the shooting.
2. Police serving warrants have to watch the back door for people running out. It is not trespassing, it is good police work. Police show up at the front, the thug goes out the back.
3. Dogs like this are breed to kill and can jump and climb fences. What if a child went in the yard to retrieve a ball? Are they trespassing?
4. You missed my point that owners are at fault for not taking proper precautions, not the dog.
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#6 Apr 29, 2014
The parents of a baby girl allowed for a Pitbull in house given to them by a friend. The baby girl who lives in Ottawa Canada lost most of her nose. The parents are being held responsible against a $10.000 fine 6 mo.in jail or both. The court will take into consideration that the family is battling an enormous medical cost, as well as the welfare of the baby girl because it's a point that can not be avoided. Also taken into consideration will be the guilt that parents have over the issue, which makes the point entirely wrong that they were irresponsible and careless. It is illegal to own a Pitbull in Canada and these ideas should be dealt with properly by not allowing for people to place themselves as victims or believing that ownership of any violent animal is considered a right by their own standards. The dog needs to die!
Nothing wrong with them

Apopka, FL

#7 Apr 29, 2014
Dogs like this are breed to kill and can jump and climb fences. What if a child went in the yard to retrieve a ball? Are they trespassing?
Yes the child would be trespassing. But you are wrong about them being bred for killing humans
The Influence of a Fighting History
When two dogs fight, the conflict is usually ritualized. The objective is for one dog to win the disagreement with little or no bloodshed. The participants try to intimidate each other by engaging in plenty of dramatic-looking behavior, which may include posturing, circling, growling, showing teeth and snarling. Bites delivered during a fight are typically inhibited because the point is to cause pain but not necessarily to inflict serious injuries. Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight. They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and they’re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent. When provoked, they may become aggressive more readily than another breed might. Sometimes they don’t inhibit their bites, so they may cause injury more often than other dogs.
Should You Keep a Pit Bull Away from Other Dogs?
Pit bulls were genetically selected for their fighting ability. What does this mean? It doesn’t mean that they can’t be around other dogs, that they’re unpredictably aggressive or that they will always fight to the death. These are all common myths about pit bulls. It does mean that they may be easily encouraged to fight with other dogs.
The best way to prevent the development of aggressive behavior toward other dogs is to focus on early socialization. To learn how to interact, play and communicate with members of their own species, dogs of all breeds need to be well socialized during puppyhood. If a puppy has many good experiences with other dogs, any future unpleasant experiences will have less of an impact on him. Suppose a puppy is playing with another dog and the play escalates into a fight. This is relatively normal, and most well-socialized puppies will still want to play with other dogs afterward. If, on the other hand, the puppy has had very few experiences with other dogs, a spat may make a bigger impression on him. He may decide that he doesn’t like other dogs, and that feeling may contribute to fearful or aggressive responses to them when he matures.
Pit bull puppies may need even more socialization than other breeds. Numerous positive social experiences can teach a pit bull puppy to enjoy the company of other dogs. Frequent social interaction may also help pit bull puppies modify their natural play style, which is often more rough-and-tumble than that of other breeds. However, because of pit bulls’ natural tendencies, a little squabble between friends can turn into a serious fight, even if a pit bull has been very well socialized. And, after experiencing a fight or two, a pit bull may become testy with unfamiliar dogs in general. Some pit bulls, like individuals of many breeds, only remain friendly with dogs they meet during puppyhood—which is another great reason to make sure your pit bull puppy makes plenty of friends.
Are Pit Bulls Dangerous to People?
Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people. Handlers bathed their opponent’s dog before a match, stood in the pits with the battling dogs and often pulled them apart to end a fight. Any dog who behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Pit bulls typically lived in their owner’s homes, where they earned the nickname “nursemaid’s dog” because they were so reliable with young children. In fact,“Pete the Pup,” the children’s friend from the old TV series “Our Gang,” was a pit bull.
Nothing wrong with them

Apopka, FL

#8 Apr 29, 2014
The parents of a baby girl allowed for a Pitbull in house given to them by a friend. The baby girl who lives in Ottawa Canada lost most of her nose. The parents are being held responsible against a $10.000 fine 6 mo.in jail or both. The court will take into consideration that the family is battling an enormous medical cost, as well as the welfare of the baby girl because it's a point that can not be avoided. Also taken into consideration will be the guilt that parents have over the issue, which makes the point entirely wrong that they were irresponsible and careless. It is illegal to own a Pitbull in Canada and these ideas should be dealt with properly by not allowing for people to place themselves as victims or believing that ownership of any violent animal is considered a right by their own standards. The dog needs to die!

You just stated how the all of the adult humans were careless and irresponsible and breaking laws, but yet the dog needs to die.

How about giving having half the adult human population vasectomies and having tubes tied. There are so many parents in this world that shouldn't have been allowed to produce offspring.
Nothing wrong with them

Apopka, FL

#9 Apr 29, 2014
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#10 Apr 30, 2014
Nothing wrong with them wrote:
<quoted text>
Please get your facts straight.
1. The dog was not a Pitbull it was a Rottweiler.
2. The police officer was at the wrong residence, and after speaking to the owner of the home for half an hour he then trespassed into the backyard with out letting the home owner know.
3. There is nothing wrong with having your pet in your fenced back yard.
Overall Larger breed dogs get a bad rep. The only time I have ever been bitten was by smaller dogs. One was a poodle, and the other was a Yorkshire Terrier, both times their owners were letting their dogs run loose in their FRONT yards.
Stop the hate on the Pitbull.
The man that lives in the house mentioned that the woman the police were looking for no longer lives there. The story never mentioned that it was the wrong residence. The warrant gave the police the right to enter the backyard. That has nothing to do with why the Rottweiler was shot. The Rottweiler didn't react immediately according to the report. Leading to back to the point that the dog had a right to the backyard, and the possibility that the Rottweiler [Lady] may have been provoked. The officers actions remain in question, as to how they chose to handle the 30 minute conversation and the matter of being aggravated by the end result of the conversation that could lead to provoking the Rottweiler. The violation of rights to enter a private property can be used as a lame excuse even when a warrant is issued or particularly when a warrant is issued because of something to hide. When one right is violated by a police officer or a criminal it effects the balance of what is fair for everyone. Get your facts straight!
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#11 Apr 30, 2014
Pete the Pup was an American Staffordshire Terrier Not a Pitbull. Get your facts straight.
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#12 Apr 30, 2014
If a child enters a backyard to retrieve a ball this is not trespassing. Their intentions and motive is the ball, trespassing has to be determined by the owner of a property. If a child enters a backyard where a Rottweiler might be they are not in danger according to American Kennel Club standards. Rottweiler's are passive not overly aggressive. They are domestic pets.
Dragonfly Hummingbird

Oviedo, FL

#13 Apr 30, 2014
The 5 year old that was attacked by pitbulls in Flagler is just another example of stupid owners blaming the attack on some one else's dog. He says:
“I never had a problem with my dogs and small dogs until the neighbor got Chihuahuas,” he said.“They are not very nice dogs and my dogs were irritated.” He ignores that his dogs tore a 5 year old apart and tries to put the blame anywhere but where it belongs.

I don't like Chihuahuas either, but I don't go out to kill them. Owners of dangerous dogs always deny the dogs were bad. Owners are at fault 100% of the time.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/201...
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#14 Apr 30, 2014
Joe wrote:
The parents of a baby girl allowed for a Pitbull in house given to them by a friend. The baby girl who lives in Ottawa Canada lost most of her nose. The parents are being held responsible against a $10.000 fine 6 mo.in jail or both. The court will take into consideration that the family is battling an enormous medical cost, as well as the welfare of the baby girl because it's a point that can not be avoided. Also taken into consideration will be the guilt that parents have over the issue, which makes the point entirely wrong that they were irresponsible and careless. It is illegal to own a Pitbull in Canada and these ideas should be dealt with properly by not allowing for people to place themselves as victims or believing that ownership of any violent animal is considered a right by their own standards. The dog needs to die!
This was a pretty good example. It examines the rights of the people involved it has everything to do with how dog owners defend a Pitbull. The parents are not speaking out for the dog. Their opinion has been altered by a harmful situation. The degree of punishment in this case has to be determined by a social service agency. Neglect for a child's safety in this case may be considered a first offense. The injury was very serious. Using BOTH examples the parents did commit a serious crime according to Canadian laws. That should be punishable. The Pitbull's actions caused the damage. The violent history of a Pitbull according to several stories is a means of prosecution. A lawyer won't stand up in court and say YES YOUR HONOR... I'll be defending the DOG! So you see these motives of having someone comment about the defense of a Pitbull is just Pit= BULLSH*T The parents of the baby girl should be held responsible. That has to happen without effecting the needs of the child. The rights of the parents should only be considered carefully because the child has rights!
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#15 Apr 30, 2014
A man in Debary was walking his miniature pincher when a Pitbull broke free from the leash. The miniature pincher was attacked and survived with injuries. During the attack the owner of the miniature pincher shot the Pitbull. The Pitbull died on the operating table. The owner of the Pitbull said it blows my mind that people can carry a gun to walk their dog. The man with the gun did have a permit. It wouldn't be hard to believe that someone carry's a gun. Other dog owners should not need to carry a gun except in the case of a Pitbull Attack. The owner of the mini- pincher was well within their rights.
Joe

Fort Wayne, IN

#16 May 1, 2014
Nothing wrong with them wrote:
The parents of a baby girl allowed for a Pitbull in house given to them by a friend. The baby girl who lives in Ottawa Canada lost most of her nose. The parents are being held responsible against a $10.000 fine 6 mo.in jail or both. The court will take into consideration that the family is battling an enormous medical cost, as well as the welfare of the baby girl because it's a point that can not be avoided. Also taken into consideration will be the guilt that parents have over the issue, which makes the point entirely wrong that they were irresponsible and careless. It is illegal to own a Pitbull in Canada and these ideas should be dealt with properly by not allowing for people to place themselves as victims or believing that ownership of any violent animal is considered a right by their own standards. The dog needs to die!
You just stated how the all of the adult humans were careless and irresponsible and breaking laws, but yet the dog needs to die.
How about giving having half the adult human population vasectomies and having tubes tied. There are so many parents in this world that shouldn't have been allowed to produce offspring.
The Pitbull that did serious harm to a child is DEAD.
Dragonfly Hummingbird

Oviedo, FL

#17 May 13, 2014
More "friendly" pitbulls attack.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/25497741/or...
Anonymous

Herndon, VA

#18 Dec 8, 2014
people who think pitbulls are bad, they arent. Pitbulls are the most misunderstood animal in the world. Its not the animals fault theyre agressive, its the owners fault, im an 11 year old girl and i can tell you the right facts about pitbulls, instead of the myths you people say.
Anonymous

Herndon, VA

#19 Dec 8, 2014
what do u mean by that
Evelyn

Oviedo, FL

#20 Saturday Apr 1
Pitbulls seem to display aggression toward smaller dogs, watch them like prey . I have a small dog. In the year I have had him, we have had four bad scares from pitbull dogs.
The first came at us silently from behind, the owner was able to stop him just as he grabbed for my 18-lb dog's neck. Owner apologized profusely. He said he should have been more aware.
The 2nd attempt came as we were getting im the car, having visited a local dog park. Pitbull was off-leash! Luckily, I was able to throw my little guy in the car, and wound up hitting the attacking dog with the car door, hit his nose, for which the owner cursed me out.
The 3rd? A woman was walking her pit, had him on a retractable. As they neared us, that pit lunged and almost got us, as he was well over 20 ft. from his owner, abd she could not easily stop him.
She was of the opinion my dog must have done something to entice her dog to attempt an attack.
The last one was yesterday. This is the last straw.
At the dog park, I could not take my little dog off leash inside. Why? Because we were there two minutes when a "Friendly " pit grabbed him by the neck! Wise to their ways, I told the owner to get him off NOW, or I would shoot her dog. She complied, when she was previously just sitting on a bench watching. Luckily, he isn't seriously injured. Because, I WOULD have shot her dog. I have a right to protect mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daytona Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bond denied for suspect in girlfriend's murder (Sep '16) 6 hr BooBoo 2
greg justice not who he says! 6 hr surfmonkey101 1
Whitehead Remodel/Daytona **drug addict n thief !! 12 hr Barb 1
Keva Matovina Apr 21 The south 3
Mark Matovina Apr 21 Sunshine state 5
Enforcers Motorcycle Club (Nov '14) Apr 21 Florida sucks 206
Guy in Ormond By The Sea that yells at God Apr 21 private eye 3

Daytona Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Daytona Beach Mortgages