61 votes

Click on an option to vote

Is doing a good job

Is doing a poor job

Should've been fired years ago

peanut butter freak

Mosheim, TN

#1 Oct 13, 2009
When it comes to good ole boy politics, hire your kin ( nepotism ) and being able to do whatever you want and get away with it, Mr. Welch wrote the book.

I applaud Bob Vincent for finally trying to get rid of Welch. Are the votes not there to get rid of him, though?
chocolate freak

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Oct 13, 2009
Speaking of Frank Welch and nepotism, once Frank goes will they do the right thing and get rid of the rest of his family members? What about Frank's kid, his nephew, his siter-in-law? If one goes it means nothing unless they all go!!!
Hound dog

Charlotte, NC

#3 Oct 14, 2009
I see Welch's sister-in-law mentioned often, but what about her husband who is over the Maintenance Department? And what about that man's daughter who works in the electric dept office? And what about Welch's son's brother-in-law in the Police Dept., ok actually his wife's brother-in-law, but you get the picture. Welch's son and this guy are both Ted Jones' son-in-laws. dig dig dig... but now let's be honest folks. If you had family who needed a job and you were in a position to help and you thought they would work, would you not help? If you said "no", I say LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!
chocolate freak

Lenoir City, TN

#4 Oct 14, 2009
Is this the same Ted Jones who used to work for the post office and sits on some sort of zoning committee or something for the past umpteen years?
chocolate freak

Lenoir City, TN

#5 Oct 14, 2009
Also, you are right. If I were city manager I too would hire my family for jobs. I know public sector jobs should be excepted from that style thinking but we are human and humans are selfish and stingie. So yes, we all would probably hire family. Based on that once Frank is gone if I was the new city manager I would start chasing off ALL of Frank's kin folks. The free ride is over somebody elses turn. I then would pack the house with MY friends, MY family and the cycle of Rhea County/Dayton once again turns.

This is how it works, he will take his money and his whole flock of vultures will take theirs and do like the Smith's, the Harris', the Vaughns, the Ballards and the Sneeds and goe out to pasture living happily ever after. If you said "no", I say LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!
Lookn4change

Lenoir City, TN

#6 Oct 14, 2009
Of course I would help. I will be honest. But come on, unless he has a bunch of family that are dirt poor, broke, jobless, uneducated, do they all need a job?
disgusted

Chattanooga, TN

#7 Oct 14, 2009
The question isn't whether they need a job. The question is do they DO their job. I don't care who is related to who if they are doing their job and aren't getting special treatment.
chocolate freak

Lenoir City, TN

#8 Oct 15, 2009
So what if they don't do their jobs? What will happen, their daddy going to fire them? Hiring a family member is great for royalty and private companies but Dayton is neither.
disgusted

Chattanooga, TN

#9 Oct 15, 2009
My point is I don't see the situation (of having related people working for you) as a problem, as long as everyone is doing their job and doing it well.
news junkie

Lenoir City, TN

#10 Oct 15, 2009
disgusted wrote:
My point is I don't see the situation (of having related people working for you) as a problem, as long as everyone is doing their job and doing it well.
Then I guess you wouldn't have a problem with it either if you were a qualified candidate for one of these many jobs but his family got the position instead of you, a qualified, unrelated candidate for the position.
skipped over_fireman

Lenoir City, TN

#11 Oct 15, 2009
Exactly! In Dayton is does not matter what your qualifications are all you need is an uncle in the right place. It isn't right but I do believe in something called karma.
disgusted

Chattanooga, TN

#12 Oct 16, 2009
"Then I guess you wouldn't have a problem with it either if you were a qualified candidate for one of these many jobs but his family got the position instead of you, a qualified, unrelated candidate for the position."

No, I wouldn't as long as the family member was as qualified. What? You think you should be hired because you are NOT related to someone in authority? Reverse discrimination.
no such thing

Lenoir City, TN

#13 Oct 16, 2009
there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, you white people are finally reaping what you have sewn.
Lookn4change

Lenoir City, TN

#14 Oct 17, 2009
disgusted wrote:
"Then I guess you wouldn't have a problem with it either if you were a qualified candidate for one of these many jobs but his family got the position instead of you, a qualified, unrelated candidate for the position."
No, I wouldn't as long as the family member was as qualified. What? You think you should be hired because you are NOT related to someone in authority? Reverse discrimination.
What you have done is flip the point back on me. Reverse discrimination would not exist if people had not abused their positions in the first place regarding, race, age, sex, and so on. Good try though to flip it back on me, and you never directly answered the question. That's okay though, I can understand you wanting to defend the king of nepotism over there in city hall. I really do. Gotta justify things sometimes in our own minds to convince ourselves there is nothing wrong with it. Long as we a doing alright even if it means someone else is cheated. That's how it really goes. So every member of his family that works for the city was the most qualified every time for every position is what you are saying. Talented family.
disgusted

Rossville, GA

#15 Oct 17, 2009
Yes, I did answer the question - I said that I would NOT have a problem with being a qualified candidate but being overlooked for one of his family members IF - IF - IF that family member was as qualified. Listen, discrimination exists on all different levels. People are hired because of who they are friends with, who they go to church with, for what they look like, for what they wear, etc. You're beating a dead horse with this topic.
Lookn4change

Lenoir City, TN

#16 Oct 18, 2009
I just happen to disagree. Some people just don't like to hear the truth. You just admitted that is how things go yourself, so what is the real issue here? You stand on one side and I stand on the other. So what? As I said, it's just the way things are. Evidently they are fine for you and not fine for me. Good for you, bad for me. Just my opinion. I would just like to see things on more of an even playing field instead of it not being an equal opportunity situation. I'm no longer beating a dead horse. Just stating my opinion.

Since: Nov 09

Cookeville, TN

#17 Nov 15, 2009
no such thing wrote:
there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, you white people are finally reaping what you have sewn.
You said "you white people". Just actually what are you implying with that statement??
sweet pea

Santa Barbara, CA

#18 Nov 15, 2009
Maybe hes a mexican

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse Leonard 1 hr Lmao 1
Retc director Dennis tumlin 2 hr Wow 40
Here we go again 6 hr Someone who know 16
Interested 14 hr curiousss 1
Lucas Howell (Nov '15) 15 hr Tired 17
Looking for a old friend 16 hr Wondering 6
Alan Marler Mon Someone who know 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dayton Mortgages