Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32045 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Waste Watchers

Cincinnati, OH

#22960 Jan 12, 2013
Forgot to mention in my above post:
Thank you to the board member who corrected the term "emergency levy" to Renewal Levy (which means no new taxes).
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22961 Jan 12, 2013
When levies are the topic of discussion, money is no object, we can easily afford to spend $57,000 trying to pass levies.

When kids futures are in play, money is too valuable to spend on investigating alternatives to places where more than a third of the students are failing.

Who could have seen that one coming.
Please tell the truth

Springfield, OH

#22962 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Grade 6 Cut Scores and Scoring Bands on the 2011 OAA tests
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.
Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students in the 6th grade class fall in the Proficient or below category
Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.
Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students in the 6th grade class falling in the Proficient or below category.
How many were Proficient or below in both categories?
Page 12
http://www.oagc.com/file/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...
Wait, you mean that my child that is "Proficient" in several categories on these exams actually Failed these categories,and the truth is that we call that good and give it no attention? Are you telling me that this is acceptable in all schools?
I can't believe that. We celebrate failing grades on these exams. OK but don't we have 5% of our students that are special needs and on IEP's so why would we have over 30% of our students failing (D or below) these exams. Do we actually have over 30% special needs and as I hear, 40% gifted? That means we have 30% in the middle?
Great job

Springfield, OH

#22963 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Grade 6 Cut Scores and Scoring Bands on the 2011 OAA tests
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.
Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students in the 6th grade class fall in the Proficient or below category
Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.
Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students in the 6th grade class falling the Proficient or below category.
How many were Proficient or below in both categories?
Page 12
http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C...
Interesting story, my neighbor has a child that was in Springboro schools and he can not hold a pencil, speak a word, wipe him rear, he understand little to nothing. His test scores come back and he is advanced on everything. How is that his parents asked. He was told that an aid can take the test for him when she asks the questions and he shakes his head she can tell what the right answer is. So if we have these special needs students really scoring Advanced because an aid takes the exam for them,who are the Proficient"? The Proficient must be those students that don't get an aid taking the exam for them. Imagine what the scores would be if these special needs students were also included in the Proficient.
certainly worth repeating

Dayton, OH

#22964 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
When levies are the topic of discussion, money is no object, we can easily afford to spend $57,000 trying to pass levies.
When kids futures are in play, money is too valuable to spend on investigating alternatives to places where more than a third of the students are failing.
Who could have seen that one coming.
When levies are the topic of discussion, money is no object, we can easily afford to spend $57,000 trying to pass levies.
When kids futures are in play, money is too valuable to spend on investigating alternatives to places where more than a third of the students are failing.
Who could have seen that one coming.
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22965 Jan 13, 2013
Opinion vs Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello???
Not taking my time to go back into school board minutes to prove anything to you, because a supplemental contract approving Tina Schrof's position as substitute teacher was voted on and approved
last fall. That's a fact.
In my opinion, levy lady and union activist Tina Schrof, is not a role model of good citizenship for our children, our school community and our community as a whole; and I opposed my school tax dollars being wasted on Tina Schrof's contract. But, when I spoke my opinion to our school leaders, I was told that Tina had been employed for some time.
As our union activist board member Don Miller repeated at the January 10 meeting, that's alls ima sayin.
Oh my ..... not sure what minutes you are looking at!! She is not a teacher ..... but an aide sub. She is not part of any union, but she is a concerned parent and resident in Springboro!! Ha - proved you wrong......Oh, and no contract!!
she is too

Springfield, OH

#22966 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my ..... not sure what minutes you are looking at!! She is not a teacher ..... but an aide sub. She is not part of any union, but she is a concerned parent and resident in Springboro!! Ha - proved you wrong......Oh, and no contract!!
OK, ask her. Are you a teacher in the district? If she says no, she is lying. My son has had her as a teacher and btw Lisa Babb is also a teacher. Btw many of the NFSS people are teachers and district employees and spouses. All of the attendees at Thursday nights meeting were the same.
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22967 Jan 13, 2013
she is too wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, ask her. Are you a teacher in the district? If she says no, she is lying. My son has had her as a teacher and btw Lisa Babb is also a teacher. Btw many of the NFSS people are teachers and district employees and spouses. All of the attendees at Thursday nights meeting were the same.
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22968 Jan 13, 2013
she is too wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, ask her. Are you a teacher in the district? If she says no, she is lying. My son has had her as a teacher and btw Lisa Babb is also a teacher. Btw many of the NFSS people are teachers and district employees and spouses. All of the attendees at Thursday nights meeting were the same.
Oh, is there anything else you want to know about my employment status? I will be happy to share!
Ridiculous

United States

#22969 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
Hey Self? Then why do you list "Sub at Springboro Community City Schools" on your Facebook page?
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22970 Jan 13, 2013
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Self? Then why do you list "Sub at Springboro Community City Schools" on your Facebook page?
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
Old Student

Wampum, PA

#22971 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
Simple question, are you now, or have you ever, been paid by the Springboro School District in any capacity?
Hello

Dayton, OH

#22972 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
I love it when people get put in their place. Thanks Tina! Do you think other things like academic stats could also be wrong on this site??
Facts vs Opinion

Cincinnati, OH

#22973 Jan 13, 2013
Impartial wrote:
At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
Don't you believe that the majority of the community is with union activists Don Miller in opposition of the board hiring a professional to conduct a feasibility study on ways to best use our Springboro School district resources.

Your statement is clearly your own very biased opinion (which of course is of more value to you than to others, and that's why we all have biased opinions because they are our own).
It may be a fact that the majority of your own community members, to who you have spoken, agree with your opinion.
But unless you have actually surveyed all school district community members in all schoold district voting precincts, then it is a fact that you have only spoken your opinion based on your personal experience.
Oh for Sure

Cincinnati, OH

#22974 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
I could just have myself a super duper sparkly amazingly funderful onederful day with my bff's if only you could truthfully tell us that immediately your employment status will be full time with a big oh chunk of paycheck money in another school district far far away.
Facing Problems

Cincinnati, OH

#22975 Jan 13, 2013
Records wrote:
wow
I was truly embarrassed by the liberals in the audience tonight. They were rude, crass, obnoxious and you guys on the board did not deserve that type of behavior from what otherwise is a seemingly courteous community.
Teachers are treated with respect and this school board was treated extremely poorly by them tonight. We were soooo embarrassed to live in this trashy community.
There was no respect shown to people that work for almost free not teachers that work for twice the wages as the rest of us. Just trashy and so disrespectful, really shameful. There were children in the audience and they saw that behavior, shameful. Poor school board.
My family and I were among those who attended the meeting,
in support of the board's 4-1 vote in favor of bringing the discussion of hiring the consultants, and expected that they would vote 4-1 approval during business meeting.
It was disappointing to see the vote die 3-2 under the leadership of Mr. Miller and Mrs. Kuhl. During this past year, Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr. Rigano have been tirelessly educating our district of the upcoming challenges and problems that our students face with these new grading standards and ratings; but Mr. Miller continues his undermining protests in favor of keeping things the same, arguing that everything's going just fine and these upcoming challenges are presenting no problems.
When we consistently argue with ourselves or others that a problem isn't really a problem, the chances are... it really is a problem.
Hopefully the board can bring this back to vote on again soon; now that the emotions of it all are calmed and people can focus on the facts rather than scare tactics that their child will be left out in the cold with no union label and no socialization.
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22976 Jan 13, 2013
Oh for Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
I could just have myself a super duper sparkly amazingly funderful onederful day with my bff's if only you could truthfully tell us that immediately your employment status will be full time with a big oh chunk of paycheck money in another school district far far away.
So sorry to burst your bubble. I have no plans to relocate!!:)
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22977 Jan 13, 2013
Old Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple question, are you now, or have you ever, been paid by the Springboro School District in any capacity?
Why yes. I am an aide sub, so I do get paid by the district.$8.50 per hour - only the hours I work. I don't work during the summer, which means no payment. No contract, no benefits and no union dues. Next question......
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22978 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when people get put in their place. Thanks Tina! Do you think other things like academic stats could also be wrong on this site??
Hello Hello - You are welcome! I would say yes. But what is the use of arguing? Just like a bunch of crickets, they make a lot of noise until you walk by them. But you can't walk by them because they don't fess up to who they really are and do not attend the board meetings.:)
Conflict

Dayton, OH

#22979 Jan 13, 2013
I read Petroni lists charter school facility finance and development services among his specialties on his real estate business profile page for his business (yes, he is owner of this business). Can you say CONFLICT!! I say get rid of him before he destroys Springboro schools with his own personal agenda and greed. Springboro, this is a CONFLICT!! Thank goodness even Kelly Kohls realized there was a problem and voted with the majority.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scene 75 an honest review (Nov '13) 4 hr AlrightAlrightAlr... 15
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr Mcm123 21,338
Ryan Luke St John arrested for murdering 2 year... (Mar '17) Nov 14 Justice For Brayden 3
SVG Motors (Steve's a Vain Guy) (Jan '16) Nov 13 dkraus1044 29
Trotwood Aquatic Club (Mar '06) Nov 10 FrankEsp73 14
News Teacher removed from class over student sex all... Nov 10 haha 1
Dr Shafik Ahmad (Oct '09) Nov 6 Update 2914 71

Dayton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Dayton Mortgages