Indiana cougar sightings to become common

Full story: WLFI Lafayette

Urban dwellers in Indiana can expect to see more cougars, according to a Purdue expert.
Comments
61 - 80 of 127 Comments Last updated Jul 13, 2014
Cindy D

Berwyn, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

I will never want to see mountain lions return to the Midwest! They are highly dangerous, and view humans as prey. They're not little miss kitty. With the recvent sighting in Indiana, I suspect it was someone's released pet. ere's another reason why people should not own exotic animals unless they're licenses, have the training, knowledge, and facilities to take care of the animal. I hope Indiana doesn't do something stupid like protect these dangerous animals. they're not trare in certain other parts of the countr and, in my opnion, do not need protection. If I see one enter my property in predator mode after my animals or myself, I will shoot to kill.
ars

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Judged:

Well first of all I do think that these animals need protecting. We as humans need to stop hunting animals for game and for the pure fact people are ignorant. The only way I feel it appropriate to hunt an animal is if you are going to eat it. We have had numerous cougar spottings throughout Indiana. These animals have not harmed a person yet and they may not. They are as scared of us as we are them. They have stayed well hidden, obviously. It was a fluke that a DNR's motion camera caught one. This cougar is apparently an adult meaning there might be a family of them around there. We have wild animals throughout and people need to stop making a fuss over this one. I highly doubt that this animal was someone's pet at one point. Let them do their thing, it is called mother nature. Let it run its course for once. At the rate that we are heading in 30 years our country may end up like that mentioned on the recent movie Avatar. Give it a rest folks. Protect your livestock better and keep your eyes open and all will be fine.
ars

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2010

Sheri Reck wrote:
Hello,
Three weeks before any articles came out regarding cougar sightings in Vigo County, I saw one on our deck on the East side of Terre Haute. I reported it to three agencies but had no response. My first sighting was when it looked at me while I was looking out from our sun room window. The second sighting was when I was taking out the trash. It ran past me and it's tail brushed against me. I sighted it 3 or 4 other times in our yard. It killed geese, rabbits, foxes and brought a deer leg into our yard. It disappeared as quickly as it showed up. I had been putting food out for it but had no idea what I was feeding. In response to feeding him, he brought a goose carcass to me and huge balls of feathers.
This is actually a major compliment coming to you from the cat. This is how they show gratitude to their "owner". They may be sticking around because of the fact you have fed them, and with this it is most likely that they will not attack you or your family, but still be careful
Kirbee

Muncie, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

we live in Deleware county and we have had many sightings of these cats. You can smell where they have urinated back in our woods, we have been in the woods picking berries and they have jumped out and ran, my grandpa was out in the woods the other day and one ran in front of him, you can see their foot prints back where the smell is as well. These cats have short legs, long tails, and are stalky.
Kirbee

Muncie, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

I don't think that these cats are someones pet. There has been many different sightings of them, and I have seen them personaly. These cats are largee, black, and stalky. Two ran out in front of my family and I while we were driving, my dad was in our woods picking berries and he spooked one and itwent running, and just the other day my grandpa was back in the other woods and one ran in front of him. We started noticing these cats about two years ago. back in the woods behind my grandparents house you can smell where they've sprayed and you can see large cat-like footprints. These cats are big and you shouldn't run from them. Stay in the same spot and wave your arms. DO NOT RUN!
jay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2010

im an avid hunter and fisherman and i live in vermillion county indiana and through out the years in my deerstand ive saw bobcats feral hogs flyin squirrels badgers and so on but the most shocking sighting i had was in 1991 i was on my way to school on the school bus out in the country quaker to be exact and we came up on the top of a hill at a stop sign and i just so happened to look to the west and i saw a jet black cat that stretched three quarters across the road it was so long and it leaped in the woods i told e body but noone saw it it was frustrating gettin someone to believe me
Shannon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

Has anyone heard of a mountain lion sighting in the far north western Jackson County or southern Brown County? Last weekend, I was outside with 2 of my kids when one of our dogs started barking toward the creek. My 18 yr old daughter said she seen some sort of animal over there. My 20 yr old son came out and looked over the hill and watched a mountain lion walk across a grassy area and into the woods, which is the Hoosier National Forest. I stood outside for a little while longer and I heard a growl a couple of times. We have animals outside-cats, dogs, and chickens. I just want to know if anyone has heard of any other sightings in this area. We have lived here for 20+ years and I have never heard anything like I heard last weekend.
billie

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2010

i was poggin out in marion county then i pooped and the cougar came and dun ate it
la de da

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2010

i am glad i am not the only person to see a cougar around here! my son and i were at adams mill a couple weeks ago and we decided to walk to the bridge from the mill and on our way back something growled at us, and it wasn't a dogs growl. I could def. tell it was a big cat, and everyone i've told about this thinks i'm crazy! maybe i should tell them to get on here and read some of these stories, because i told everyone i knew it had to be a cougar!
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2010

I wish I had seen a cougar here. In their own- non threatening environment. I love big cats.
Vince

Frankfort, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

There have been some people in Clinton County who claim to have seen cougars fairly recently. Males will roam quite distance, and with the DNR confirming they're in the state of Indiana, it's entirely possible these people did see a cougar or cougars roam through Clinton County.

For those people who have been talking about shooting them, you had better reconsider. Unless the cougar is on your own property doing damage, it is illegal to kill them in Indiana. And the landowner must do it themselves - if they want someone else to it for them a permit from DNR is then necessary.
beebee

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2010

[You will care if you should encounter a cougar!!!!!
concerned resident

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2010

lynn wrote:
<quoted text>it is good to that there have been sightings,and it is good that cougars are possibly living in this state. people don't realize that these large carnivores help keep nature in balance as well as black bear and wolves,which i understand there have been sightings of them also. i honestly think it is awesome and i'm glad if they are making a come back, besides how many deer get killed every year in the state of indiana by vehicles? how many people get hurt or die because of this-quite a few. the deer in this state has no known enemies except man and then in turn deer hunting is federally regulated and you can hunt certain time of year and can only have so many tags. cougars, bears and wolves are deer natural enemies and without them our deer population explodes,diseases spread(yes humans can catch animal diseases) more crop destruction; so you see every carnivore in our state would be a blessing instead of a hinderance -balance of nature. i live in southern indiana and have seen cougar tracks and for me i think it is way cool. i also think this is God's wake up call, because weren't we supposed to be the caretakers of all critters from the very beginning of time, it is our job to protect all critters no matter how great or small.
if you truely believe in god you would know that he has called for animal sacrifices in the old testiment. that is not "protecting".Genesis 1:vs.28 God blessed them and said to them,"be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every living creature that moves on the ground." so yes, we were supposed to be "caretakers of all criters" but we must also keep a safe balance.
Neil Sharp

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

Where I live there is a woods area between me and the Ho.Co.Jail.And on July 17th 2010 at about 3a.m. I was in these woods actually chaseing a u.f.o. type of a low flying light and as I came to this clearing there was a cry or growl type sound comeing from a tree directly above my head.I of course ran like a small female child because it was pitch black dark and I couldnt see.I am 37 and as a child had camped 100's of times in an old underground smokehouse behind what use to be Millers packing.I have done great reaserch on the Kokomo Wildcat or bobcat and all of their calls and sounds and I believe this cat had to be at least 3 x's the size by the base and volume of it.
stephanie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2010

Judged:

ya i seen 1 on my road of Redkey its pretty big it injured 2 of my cows and yup its scary?!?
ok if u see a cougar u run away from it as possable if the cougar sees u and start wwalkin towards u back up slowly then run ruuun man just letting u people no okay peace.
trish steinmetz

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2010

worried in Rush County wrote:
I was awaken by my dog barking at 1:30AM in the morning. I stepped out my front door to find a truck pulling up the drive. The gentleman in the truck said that one of my horses was being chased by what looked like a cougar. As he appraoched the animals the horse took off towards the barn, and the cougar ran the opposite direction into the soybean field. The gentlman was visibly shaken and had no idea there were large cats in the area. I checked the horse, no injuries, but was lathered up and very upset. I live in Rush County, Indiana......has anyone else seen a cougar in the area?
a lady in the northern part of carthage on 725 west came face to face witha cougar onlate september 29 or early morning on the 30. it ran east of of the barn into the back of my brothers woods. the lady screamed and the cougar screame and they both ran.
Jack Campion

Michigan City, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

I am not sure what I saw. But it was big Black, big teeth , and red eyes, and that was two months ago. now it is Oct. 5, 2010 this morning the same spot were I saw the animal in the woods a man was yeling at the top of his lungs (PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP! so I called 911 and reported it but I have not seen anybody all day to look for the man that was yelling. the police office did tell me that there has been reports in the area of a large cat.
Derek

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

A friend of ours just told me and my wife this evening about some cougar sitings in our neck of the woods (Carthage, IN). Said the government released breeding pairs around this area to take care of the deer population some time ago. If that ain't the stupidest solution I've ever heard! Just replacing one problem with another! If I see any on our property, we'll be lock'n and load'n for sure! We should form a hunting posse and go after them!
worried in Rush County wrote:
I was awaken by my dog barking at 1:30AM in the morning. I stepped out my front door to find a truck pulling up the drive. The gentleman in the truck said that one of my horses was being chased by what looked like a cougar. As he appraoched the animals the horse took off towards the barn, and the cougar ran the opposite direction into the soybean field. The gentlman was visibly shaken and had no idea there were large cats in the area. I checked the horse, no injuries, but was lathered up and very upset. I live in Rush County, Indiana......has anyone else seen a cougar in the area?
Denise

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

Will wrote:
Who cares what they are called. If they are big cats and they could do harm to my family or my property, they will have to "pay the price."
Will, they have just as much right to be here if not more. I can understand your concern about your family. Take precautions and you all should be safe. If nothing else we should be excited that we are seeing them once again. What was almost destroyed is now coming back. The price, as you say has been paid by alot of species at the hands of Humans. We should all be able to lived together. What we do to the web we do to ourselves. Never forget that!!
Denise

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2010

Judged:

I can understand your concern about your family. Take precautions and you all should be safe. If nothing else we should be excited that we are seeing them once again. What was almost destroyed is now coming back. The price, as you say has been paid by alot of species at the hands of Humans. We should all be able to lived together. What we do to the web we do to ourselves. Never forget that!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for Tippecanoe County was issued at August 22 at 9:27PM EDT

•••
•••
•••

Dayton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dayton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE