Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Judged:

There was an article on FYN about Martha Zoller's comments that Snider has no chance because Ralston has far more campaign money.

(Article: http://gilmer.fetchyournews.com/archives/5200... )

If we've come to the point that Ralston will win because he has $750,000 and Snider only has $4,000, then what's the purpose of holding an election?

Why not just have the candidates lay their money on the table, and whoever has the biggest pile wins?

Why go through the charade of an election?

MtnScott

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Ding Ding Ding -- we have a winner!

How do you think George Washington originally got elected to the House of Burgesses?
Richard Nobel

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

If Snider qualifies to run people will take him serious and money will start pouring into him campaign. It's just talk until you qualify.
Captain Spaulding

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

And the told Buster Douglass not to bother because he
was a 90-1 underdog.

Think of Frank Sinatra singing " High Hopes".
Gilmer Inquirer

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

If anyone has found either, a blue tick hound, or any of Snider's signs which have mysteriously gone missing already, please drop them off at the DQ gazebo. No questions asked.

Some people wear a belt AND suspenders, just to be sure.
Doc

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Money is important, but it isn't necessarily decisive. What's important is voter interest. If folks aren't interested, they'll stay home and Ralston will win, no matter how much money either candidate spends.

On the other hand, if Snider can make his original statement when he announced (something like: "I'm not running for speaker of the House, I'm running to represent this District") resonate, he just might have a fighting chance.

The biggest thing against Snider (imo) is recognition. He's a known quantity in Gilmer County, but probably pretty much an unknown in Fannin and Dawson (politically, in Gilmer, as well). Ralston, on the other hand, is well-known in all three counties. That's a big hurdle. Snider's task (again, imo) is to identify things that Ralston has done, or failed to do, that the residents of Fannin and Dawson wanted or didn't want, then capitalize on those deviations.
from what the voters wanted.

In Gilmer, a lot of people wanted us to keep Tom Graves as our Congressman in redistricting. Those folks lost, largely because Ralston,(as Speaker, not as our Representative) pushed the redistricting that put us in the 9th District, where we elected Doug Collins, who is doing an outstanding job in DC. This might be a campaign point for Snider in Gilmer -- I'm not sure about the rest of the District.

What I do see, though, is that, if he has any chance at all, Snider has to run a negative campaign -- negative in the sense that Ralston hasn't done his job in representing his constituents -- not negative in that Ralston has done anything bad. He needs to go back to "I'm not running for the Speaker of the House".
SOSDD

Conyers, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Anyone ever heard of a poor guy winning an election? This isn't Rocky it an election.
Slap Happy

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Judged:

I look at the kind of people who support a candidate.

When Hanoi Jack put on his Ralston hat, I switched support to Snider.
Captain Spaulding

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

I support Snider 00%.

let's get rid of the professional politician, especially the lawyers.
Snider supporter

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Name recognition is important in this and any race. Also knowing what a candidate or elected official believes is also important. It is not what they say but what they have done which should carry weight. So look closely at what Speaker Ralston says vs. what he does.
1. Name two things he has done for Gilmer county in the last 4 years as speaker of the house. What has Coach Snider brought to our county the past 20 years?
2. Google how "Georgia Right to life" views David Ralston on pro life issues. Ralston says he is fully pro life. Snider has their full endorsement.
3. Ralston says he has not raised taxes. Who supported the failed T-Splost? Who put in the hospital bed tax? Why do individuals now pay sales tax when selling a vehicle privately? Are these not taxes?
4. Legislative priviledge has been used to delay many court cases. Take time to look up "Amanda Mosher" Her husband and child were killed by another driver. It took over 5 years for a settlement due to legislative priviledges of our representative. How many others wait years for justice due to a lawyer taking a case he cannot complete in a timely manner. Snider fulfills his obligations.
5. Who is responsible for the LOCAL act which helped give us our 50 million dollar debt on the court house?
6. Who goes with his family to europe on lobbyist dollars?
7. Who else gets a million dollar loan on property worth less than 500,000? Snider is debt free.

Just take time to check the facts. Look it up and see.
Concerned Taxpayer

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Who is Hanoi Jack?
frp

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

yikes concerned tax payer
Hmmm

Bellevue, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

You might also who pushed through the exemption on over 65 on local school tax! That was Mr Ralaton himself to ensure he got Senior vote on last election. It ended up raising all the tax the working folks of Gilmer County!
Gilmer Inquirer

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

Available public records paint a sorry picture of Ralston:

- Ethics complaints with foreign trips for his family.

- Recurring IRS problems.

- Tax liens

- Bank loans for twice the value of his property.(How did he do that?)

- His law firm dissolved for failure to register.

- Juicy jobs for friends and family

- Quite a list of his corporate donors.

The whole sorry mess is here:

http://atlantaunfiltered.com/2011/12/12/trans...
Truth hurts

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2014

Judged:

I for one am sickened and disgraced by the fact that An egotistical maniac would stoop so low as to use the death of a local soldier for a political springboard. The parading around that was done after the death of a soldier a few years back was very offensive to many who had relatives die in our nations most difficult struggles without an ounce of recognition or fanfare or buildings named after them. Anyone that has worked along this individual knows that he is on an ego trip and has no clue about the best interests of north georgia taxpayers.
Josey Wales

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2014

Judged:

I think Hanoi Jack is Jack Smith who has managed to betray two local Tea Party groups,with the latest being the one he started.

After all Jack's talk and posturing about conservative principles his followers must be confused by his endorsement of Ralston.

However Jack's endorsement may be like having a Sister working in a whorehouse,it's not too bad but no one goes around bragging about it
Colonel Burtz

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

Judged:

Josey Wales wrote:
I think Hanoi Jack is Jack Smith who has managed to betray two local Tea Party groups,with the latest being the one he started.
After all Jack's talk and posturing about conservative principles his followers must be confused by his endorsement of Ralston.
However Jack's endorsement may be like having a Sister working in a whorehouse,it's not too bad but no one goes around bragging about it
This about nails it on the head. Great post.
Gilmer County Lady

Midland, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2014

Judged:

Looks like you all need to look I to David Ralston a little more. You all are bringing up years from the past. Which if you looked good enough into each situation you would find out the truth and why the situation happened like it did.

And somebody asked what has Ralston has done for Gilmer County? Just because somebody does not parade around and brag doesn't mean he has not done anything. Why don't you ask around about what he has done? He is a very humble man who helps everybody he can and doesn't make a spectacle about it.

I would like to know what political background Sam Snider has because all I have known him as was a Coach. Why is going to big town politics right off the back? Why doesn't he start his "political"career off small and work his way up? Or is he just that confident that he has what it takes with no "experience" to represent this district?
tattletale

Ellijay, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

Judged:

Josey Wales wrote:
Boy, you really don't have a clue. First Tea Party Officers went rogue and betrayed membership with their egotistical moves. Those in the know went to the Liberty Tea Party where the endeavors are to change state and Fed governments. Your uninformed blather doesn't help. Snider good man but you don't come out of the wood work seeking a top job. Can you tell us what he has done for Gilmer County or the Republican Party jn the last 20 years. Little bit tired of these folks saying they are Repubs only when they run for office.
Trannsplanted Northerner

Pell City, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2014

Judged:

Perhaps Snider has a vision for us here in the North Georgia Mountains and a way to realize that vision. That alone is far more than Ralston has done for us.
Snider might just not appreciate the long time political machine in this county which means he has intelligence. This local good ol boy mentality is long due for new energies. Bring us into this century Coach!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dawsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 24 min rename 52,211
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 9 hr Bear Truth 10,816
Debate: Gay Marriage - Jasper, GA (Jan '12) 14 hr Skippy 18
hydrocone combinations going schedule ii 14 hr Tired 4
water authority and public works relationship? 21 hr curious again 1
Ellijay Crime 21 hr anyone anytime an... 5
I hope to be moving there soon Wed Ga Girl 56 9

Search the Dawsonville Forum:
•••

Dawsonville News Video

•••
•••

Dawsonville Jobs