Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Chris B wrote:
You all may know this, but the wreckage was actually buried on the site.
With the technology available today, it would be interesting to re-examine the wreckage in an attempt to find evidence of the truth.
Yes it is. We have recovered many pieces of the aircraft.
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2009

Well today is May 3, 2009, my thoughts are with us all today...Peace this day my wish to you all.
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Chris B wrote:
You all may know this, but the wreckage was actually buried on the site.
With the technology available today, it would be interesting to re-examine the wreckage in an attempt to find evidence of the truth.
Yes, that would be very interesting...However,I am sure most would feel that it would be distubing a grave site. I plan to visit for the first time soon, I was unaware until recently that it had been buried there. I was shocked. I am greatful that the people that own the land still allow visits it seems. Did you live there? Did you have someone of that aircraft?
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

The Braniff Pages wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is. We have recovered many pieces of the aircraft.
What did you do with those pieces that you recovered?
Vance

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

It's interesting that I Googled this crash after the Air France crash that just occurred, because I was interested if there was anything on it.

Thought you might like to know that my girlfriend's (at that time) stepfather was a pilot on this plane that crashed in Dawson. I was 14 at the time and I remember my girlfriend telling me that they heard on the voice recorder that her stepfather said this remark: "Well, there goes the wing." Nothing after that.

I also remember them telling me that they chose to fly through the thunderstorm rather than around it.

That's all I know.
Dona Grant Jones

Palm Bay, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

YEs Vance you are correct. There were many law suits that were filed after it was determined pilot error for flying thru the TStorm. I am going to the crash site for the first time June 26, we are flying in to Dallas and driving down on Friday. It would have been my fathers 68 birthday. Instead he only made it to 27. I am anxious about my trip not to sure how I will feel. It has been a long journey I have wanted to take. If anyone knows anything I should see while in Dallas please let me know. My first visit there! donajones@hotmail.com
Reyna Moore

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Diane V wrote:
David,
My father was killed on that flight too.
It has been 40 years but still feels like yesterday. I often sweep the internet to see if there is any new news about it. There seems to be some controversy on what "really" happened. I am planning on taking my 86 year old mother to the site. I have never been there and can't imagine what the emotions will be. When I make it I will say a prayer for us all.
Good Luck in your quest.
DV
Diana and others, I am so sorry for your loss. I saw the plane crash and can remember it as if it were yesterday. I was in 4th grade at the time. I was outside playing in the garage. There had been a bad storm and it was only sprinkling when I heard a loud engine noise. It kept getting louder and louder. I looked down tthe street to see if it was a car as high school kids would race down the main drag but there was no car. I will never forget the engine noise and then I saw the ball of fire as it sailed over what looked like my neighbours house. I then saw the flash and explosion. The plane was definetly on fire before it hit the ground and I believe it had exploded before which caused the crash. The aftermath was horrible. My family drove out to the site and my dad offered to help. He was told they had plenty of people. Later we heard the men that did help did not sleep for days because of the horrible wreckage. My mother donated sheets to wrap the bodies. The national guard came in along with several families to see about loved ones. They put the bocies in our gym that my dad had built. Days after the town smelled like burned flesh and after awhile then the coffin trucks came to take the bodies. A friend bought the old Dawson house which was next to the crash site. We would always find plane parts. I have never gotten over it and still hate to fly. So sorry for your loss. You can email me with questions. reynamoore@sbcglobal.net Reyna
NLH

Rowlett, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2009

BRANIFF INTERVIEWED FAMILY MEMBERS BEFORE SETTLING FINANCIALLY WITH FAMILIES, WHERE ARE THOSE FILES / TAPES ARCHIVED AND CAN THEY BE ACCESSED BY SURVIVING FAMILY MEMBERS ?
Doug Williams

Rosenberg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

I stumbled across this message board this morning. My father, Ray Williams (37), was also on board Braniff Flight 352 on May 3, 1968. I was eight, my brother was six, and my sister was four years old when the crash happened. In a strange way, I think we all feel a kinship because of our extreme loss of loved ones. The more I research the crash, the more I wonder if weather was really the cause. The website http://web.archive.org/web/20021029041640/htt... really makes me wonder what really happened that day. My e-mail is dwilliams@flatowilliams.com if anyone would like to contact me.
Mark Williams

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

I was 7 when my father Ray was killed in the crash. You would think that I would have memories of it, but in fact, I think I have blocked out much of the event. I truly don't remember much of the disaster, other than the news articles etc...
It has left a void in my life for a number of years and I think about him often. I have always wondered about the other families and how they have tried to cope over the years. It is difficult to explain to others the depth of loss in a tragedy like this. I did learn, at a very early age, that life is very fragile and should be lived, because none of us ever know when God calls us to be with him. I am glad to see that others feel the same as I do. My personal feelings are that there was a cover up and explosives were on that flight which ignited and caused the explosion. I have read other articles that point to the fact that there was C4 in the cargo, but once again it never seemed to matter and Braniff did not take any responsibility to help the families. Live life and love often, your families are precious and your true friends are hard to come by. I pray often for those people touched by this tragedy and I never forget!
Joelle

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

My father was also on this flight, although not listed as a passenger in a recent news article by Stu Beitler. Several years ago I had found the information now posted by watts media. I saw a photo of a memorial and now have read through all these posts. I now live in Canada. I am coming to Texas in a few weeks and I would like to go to Dawson to see where the crash happened. I have read where some of you have travelled to Dawson. Is it hard to find, do I need to get permission? What were the experiences in the community?
Diane V

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

Joelle,

Try to go on a weekday when the City of Dawson office is open. My mother and I found the people there very helpful. That is also where the memorial plaque is.
The Gym is across the street and the park is just on the corner.
Joelle

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2009

Thank-you for the information.
Diane V wrote:
Joelle,
Try to go on a weekday when the City of Dawson office is open. My mother and I found the people there very helpful. That is also where the memorial plaque is.
The Gym is across the street and the park is just on the corner.
Joelle

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

I am hoping that someone is still monitoring this forum. I am currently in Texas and plan to travel to Dawson tomorrow. If there is someone who could provide me with details as to exactly where I should go (addresses etc), who I should talk to and how I should approach this I would really appreciate any insight.
Cindy

Fort Smith, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

My family and I are going to Dawson this Saturday. My father was also killed in this crash. Joelle, how was your trip?
Joelle

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Hello Cindy, It was an emotional trip and I am glad we went. Interestly the ladies at the town office thought we were you, and that we came early. I was there with my mother and a friend so she thought were the "three sisters". There was also a man there for the same reason last week. I thought that to be very coincidental. We weren't able to get to the site. It was in back of private property and the land owner felt that from all the rain recently it would be difficult. I think that they really didn't want us to. We looked from a distance. In the town office there is a plaque with all the names of the passengers and crew. We talked to the Mayor who was around at that time. There is a granite plaque in the park as well. Another woman approached us and spoke to us awhile about the park memorial.[The town is quite desolate now and there were there trying to spruce up the park.] She/we talked about having a plaque added in the park that included all the names but it would have to be something that the families paid for. I left her my card. We travelled into Hubbard for lunch and talked to a few more people. One very nice man called a retired judge who grew up in the area and shared a few stories. Let me know if you make out any differently. There is lots of info here online. A woman in the restaurant also told us that she saw a news story about it last year. I plan to find out which station and see if I could get a copy. Enjoy your trip.
Cindy wrote:
My family and I are going to Dawson this Saturday. My father was also killed in this crash. Joelle, how was your trip?
Bobby Lane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2010

David Ellis wrote:
My Dad Died on the Braniff Lockheed Electra on May 3, 1968. Anyone out there live in Dawson, Tx. at that time?
David T. Ellis
dtellis@mmm.com
I and many members of my family witnessed the crash and the aftermath.
Gayle

Post, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

I remember the crash well. I was in high school at another small school in the area. Later after moving to Dallas I worked at a dress manufacturer where every morning a sweet old man named Mr. Wadell brought his paper to work, and sat at his desk most of the day. He never worked for the company he just occupied an office there, never a sweeter man lived. His wife died in that crash. My husband worked for Braniff ironically.
Amanda Alford

Corsicana, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

I wasn't around when the crash happened, as i'm only 23, but it has always fascinated me. I don't know anyone that died in the crash, and I'm terribly sorry to those that do, but I grew up in Dawson. Dawson is the only school I have ever attended and I still live in the area. I know many of the residents and I'm familiar with the town. If anyone has a need for someone to show them around, I gladly offer my services. If anyone plans to make a trip to Dawson, feel free to email me and I'll help in anyway I can. amanda_alford@ymail.com

Amanda Alford
The Braniff Pages

Hurst, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

Vance wrote:
It's interesting that I Googled this crash after the Air France crash that just occurred, because I was interested if there was anything on it.
Thought you might like to know that my girlfriend's (at that time) stepfather was a pilot on this plane that crashed in Dawson. I was 14 at the time and I remember my girlfriend telling me that they heard on the voice recorder that her stepfather said this remark: "Well, there goes the wing." Nothing after that.
I also remember them telling me that they chose to fly through the thunderstorm rather than around it.
That's all I know.
That's not what was in the CVR transcript. And they did not fly into a thunderstorm. Capt. Rosendahl (Flight 154) was right behind N9707C in N9709C. He said "it was in clear air when it exploded"
What was the name of your Girlfriend's "Pilot" step-father?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Dawson News Video

•••
•••

Dawson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dawson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••