Lick Creek Church & Cemetery

Posted in the Dawson Springs Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Flatlined

Madisonville, KY

#1 Sep 23, 2011
I have heard that this area is haunted and possibly has a demonic presence. Has anyone ever been there? Had any experiences? Is this private property now? Can anyone investigate without interference on this area?
Bologna

United States

#2 Sep 23, 2011
The church is gone. The cemetary is no more haunted than your crazy house. It isn't private property, and there are many who still visit relatives graves there. It isn't a place for idiots to play, nor is it a dumping ground for trash or unwanted animals.
Flatlined

Madisonville, KY

#3 Sep 23, 2011
I would never dump trash at a cemetery out of respect for the dead and being an animal lover, I don't have unwanted animals.

How long has the cemetery been there? Do you know the history of it? How many graves? How far do they date back? Are there any interesting tombstones/grave markers that may be artistic in nature?

I am a very professional person and serious about the nature of my inquiry.
INgirl

Louisville, KY

#4 Sep 28, 2011
My family is from Dawson and I've always heard it is haunted. There are graves there from the 18th century, maybe even before. Even if it's not actually haunted, it's pretty creepy....
Spooktacular

Madisonville, KY

#5 Sep 28, 2011
Went out there last week. beautiful stones. it does have a creepy factor to it. I'm trying to find out any information on the place. What kind of church was there, any stories, how the church closed..what caused it to burn down. Anything. So far I haven't found anything out.
True

Owensboro, KY

#6 Oct 21, 2011
It is haunted - my family and I had a horrible experience there 15+ years ago. At the time it was being watched also by the state police - they had reports that devil worshipper were frequenting the place (this info was learned after our experience or we would not have been there!)
Bologna

United States

#7 Oct 21, 2011
True wrote:
It is haunted - my family and I had a horrible experience there 15+ years ago. At the time it was being watched also by the state police - they had reports that devil worshipper were frequenting the place (this info was learned after our experience or we would not have been there!)
Really? You know, that's strange. I live VERY close to this cemetery, and have for 20+ years. I have never experienced any such an event.
Brennan

Richmond, KY

#8 Oct 21, 2011
Anthropologically speaking, people groups tend to make burial grounds seem haunted in order to protect the loved ones buried there.
Bologna

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#9 Oct 22, 2011
Bologna wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You know, that's strange. I live VERY close to this cemetery, and have for 20+ years. I have never experienced any such an event.
About the only eventful things I HAVE witnessed at this cemetery is about 15 years ago when a bunch of kids stole jack-o-lantern pumpkins from all the neighbors, set them on top of headstones, and lit candles in them. Some people also like to dump their trash there too.

When the church still stood, kids would go inside to spray paint and vandalize.

During that terrible ice storm, many of those beautiful headstones were damaged by falling trees and limbs.
Rick

White Plains, KY

#10 Oct 23, 2011
Flatlined wrote:
I would never dump trash at a cemetery out of respect for the dead and being an animal lover, I don't have unwanted animals.
How long has the cemetery been there? Do you know the history of it? How many graves? How far do they date back? Are there any interesting tombstones/grave markers that may be artistic in nature?
I am a very professional person and serious about the nature of my inquiry.
ok ppl she just asked and yes it is rated the #1 area in west ky as possible haunts look it up you will see
Bologna

United States

#11 Oct 23, 2011
Ok people take it from someone who lives here. It's not haunted despite the folk lore online.
Bologna

United States

#12 Oct 23, 2011
OK I give up. Maybe if everyone thinks it's haunted, they won't hang around site seeing during halloween and damaging the place any further. BOO!!!!
ummm gola gola

United States

#13 Oct 25, 2011
The last time I went by there I was chased by a witch on a broomstick, a werewolf and a , well I don't know what it was.
Spooktacular

Madisonville, KY

#14 Oct 28, 2011
My friends and I have started a paranormal investigation group and we have been there 4 times now doing investigations. We have photos of orbs and a few evps caught on tape including a voice saying "cover it up" Almost ALL cemeteries are haunted. Many souls just aren't at rest.
IF there were any kind of devil worshiping done there it could have opened a door or window that was never closed.
It is a beautiful place though. The stones are gorgeous. I love old tombstones. I did see a lot that were damaged which is a shame. It is good to see that someone has been cleaning the place up.
I would like to know more of the history of the place though. What kind of church was originally there? Baptist? Presbyterian? Etc? I have heard the church burnt down...was it arson? Was the church abandoned? if so, why? Who are the people that are buried there?

There is a tree at the top of the hill on the side where the church was...that has what appears to have a mother and her children and their children buried there or memorialized there, I am not certain. Does anyone know anything about this place?

IF so could you please email me @ [email protected]...seri ous information only please.
local history buff

Owensboro, KY

#15 Oct 30, 2011
Spooktacular wrote:
My friends and I have started a paranormal investigation group and we have been there 4 times now doing investigations. We have photos of orbs and a few evps caught on tape including a voice saying "cover it up" Almost ALL cemeteries are haunted. Many souls just aren't at rest.
IF there were any kind of devil worshiping done there it could have opened a door or window that was never closed.
It is a beautiful place though. The stones are gorgeous. I love old tombstones. I did see a lot that were damaged which is a shame. It is good to see that someone has been cleaning the place up.
I would like to know more of the history of the place though. What kind of church was originally there? Baptist? Presbyterian? Etc? I have heard the church burnt down...was it arson? Was the church abandoned? if so, why? Who are the people that are buried there?
There is a tree at the top of the hill on the side where the church was...that has what appears to have a mother and her children and their children buried there or memorialized there, I am not certain. Does anyone know anything about this place?
IF so could you please email me @ [email protected]...seri ous information only please.
the woman buried by the tree as legend has it was a follower of the pagan faith and so was her children and their childrens children. because paganism(nature worship) was considered blasphemous and devil worship by the church during the 18th century ( and is much so considered that way today) the family disguised their true faith by claiming to be protestant and donated a piece of the land to a group of protestants to build their church. it was however the widowed womans request to be buried on the property with her children. hence the legend of the Lick Creek Witch was born and followed there after by much more folklore pertaining to the land. the cemeteries where at the time associated with the churches in which they where located at usually the graves were occupied by members and locals whom had no burial plot. one of the legends state that pagan lady's "circle" of friends where members of the church for it was as is today wise of pagans to conceal their true faith behind a membership at a christian church. and many of the graves are actually occupied by individuals who were a part of the pagan lady's "circle" of friends( or in other terms-COVEN).
Focushog_22

Owensboro, KY

#16 Oct 31, 2011
local history buff wrote:
<quoted text>
the woman buried by the tree as legend has it was a follower of the pagan faith and so was her children and their childrens children. because paganism(nature worship) was considered blasphemous and devil worship by the church during the 18th century ( and is much so considered that way today) the family disguised their true faith by claiming to be protestant and donated a piece of the land to a group of protestants to build their church. it was however the widowed womans request to be buried on the property with her children. hence the legend of the Lick Creek Witch was born and followed there after by much more folklore pertaining to the land. the cemeteries where at the time associated with the churches in which they where located at usually the graves were occupied by members and locals whom had no burial plot. one of the legends state that pagan lady's "circle" of friends where members of the church for it was as is today wise of pagans to conceal their true faith behind a membership at a christian church. and many of the graves are actually occupied by individuals who were a part of the pagan lady's "circle" of friends( or in other terms-COVEN).
AWESOME!
Spooktacular

Madisonville, KY

#18 Nov 2, 2011
Wow! That is AMAZING history right there. That is what I have been looking for! There is definitely something odd there. You just get a weird feeling being in that place. Thank you so much for the information! Much obliged!
former resident

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Nov 6, 2011
I have grandparents and others buried there. The Church was a Primitive or also know as "footwashing" Baptist Church. It had two front doors, one for the men and one for women.

My great grandmother who is buried there use to take me to church there. It closed because all the older folks that went there quit going.

I remember hearing that vandals burnt the church several years ago.
Don

Shepherdsville, KY

#20 Feb 26, 2012
True wrote:
Three deaths, Allison Barber, Roger Alexander and someone named Walker, are said to be caused by the curse of that demonic place.
Yeayeayea

United States

#21 Feb 26, 2012
Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Three deaths, Allison Barber, Roger Alexander and someone named Walker, are said to be caused by the curse of that demonic place.
"Said to be?" Where's the proof hotdog?!?!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dawson Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It is a sin to vote or register for the Democra... 8 hr Lol 41
News KKK Endorsement (Mar '08) 8 hr Tom Clancey. 124
rent 10 hr lisa 1
McDonalds 11 hr Hey 7
Another new police car? (Aug '15) 17 hr Bingo 23
hottest females in princeton ky (Jan '11) 17 hr mel gibson 127
Any hot single gay guys? (May '11) Thu In the know 27

Dawson Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance