Stressed-Out Cats Spray

Stressed-Out Cats Spray

There are 3 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Aug 17, 2011, titled Stressed-Out Cats Spray. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Cats that spray are most likely communicating distress rather than misbehaving, so piling on more anxiety through punishment is counterproductive ... read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#1 Aug 17, 2011
Once your cat is fixed and it has been determined that there are no health problems, it's time to turn detective. This goes for all elimination problems outside the box.

There's some very good advice in the article, not the least of which is "If nothing you do works, your cat might need anti-anxiety medication. There are some animals who can’t cope on their own.”

Marisa, from San Diego, CA, posted this very solution (which worked for her cat, Lily) over in the "Female cat peeing everywhere but in litter" forum.

The main thing is to hang in there and know that there are solutions to be found.
Down to two cats

Blacklick, OH

#2 Aug 17, 2011
We have a neutered male, age 9+, that does this. Tried meds for nearly 5 years with poor results. There are 5 litter boxes, 4 open and 1 enclosed, which get scooped 2x daily or more. All home improvements are on hold until he dies. He has ruined too much already. Not going to give him new targets. As the name says we are down to two cats and I eagerly await the day it becomes zero. I have had enough of cats.

“Women (and cats) of WoW unite!”

Since: Jul 07

San Diego, but now: The Woods

#3 Aug 20, 2011
Down to two cats wrote:
We have a neutered male, age 9+, that does this. Tried meds for nearly 5 years with poor results. There are 5 litter boxes, 4 open and 1 enclosed, which get scooped 2x daily or more. All home improvements are on hold until he dies. He has ruined too much already. Not going to give him new targets. As the name says we are down to two cats and I eagerly await the day it becomes zero. I have had enough of cats.
It' so sad when the pets that should enrich our lives become stressors. I take it you've tried Feliway and calming medicine or other remedies. Sometimes what starts as a health problem can continue as a habit.

There is nothing wrong with confining a cat who has marking problems to a secure and easily cleaned area that has a place for their food, water and a sleeping spot with a litter box several feet away from these. Most cats won't spray where they eat and sleep. If he stops spraying in that area, you can let him out for supervised "visits" with the rest of the house and see if there is something that triggers the spraying. Make sure you've used an enzymatic cleaner that will remove every trace of urine scent from previously marked places. Bless you for not getting rid of him. Hang in there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supervisors decline to put sales tax increase o... Jun 22 Birds Landing Bob 1
News Cardiologists, Veterinarian Work Together to Fi... (May '15) Jun 20 Big Al 6
News Inappropriate photo found in Woodland yearbook ... Jun 15 Birds Landing Bob 1
News Woodland council fine-tuning language for sales... Jun 8 Birds Landing Bob 1
Gangs in Dixon ? (Dec '09) Jun 7 Birds Landing Bob 6
Elan Image - Tuxedo Rental in Davis, CA Jun 3 just_find 1
3 guys are going to have some fun tonight May '16 Harold 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davis Mortgages