Has UCDavis become the new Chico State?

No offense to Chico State, but it has somewhat of a reputation as a "party school," where there's a lot of drinking and other unseemly behavior on the part of students, who somehow haven't learned self control. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Linda Sprowls

Sacramento, CA

#1 Apr 25, 2010
Once again you use a false headline to get readers attention! I am a former attendee of Chico State, back in the day, and my daughter is a senior there now. As you mentioned buried in your article, Chico State has taken steps over the last 20+ years to move away from the "party school" persona. You have used this OLD persona to further your readership and I find it very offensive. You need to print a retraction!!!!!! This was totally dissing a school that has made the proper efforts to control its' students and reputation. How dare you bring up OLD labels just for a story. I certainly hope UCD takes the same road Chico did over 20 years ago to get itself right with the community and its' students. I will await your retraction/apology in print.
Not even close

Sacramento, CA

#2 Apr 25, 2010
You cannot even compare the two schools. At Chico State, the women bathe, prefer men, shave their legs and are pretty, for the most part. At UCD they don't, they don't, they don't and they are not, for the most part.
Chico State Student

Sacramento, CA

#3 Apr 25, 2010
I do not appreciate this continuous wrath about Chico State as a "party school." This image that the media loves to give to a distinguished university is simply ridiculous and something that may have existed in the university's history, but no longer is true. I am a proud Chico State student I should not have to defend the degrees in which I am working so hard to get. People that have not visited the campus or community do not realize the efforts of students, faculty and community members to build a safe, sustainable, friendly city. There are so many volunteer organizations and enriching academic programs that make Chico State a wonderful university experience for one of the only remaining college towns in the nation.

So, Daily Democrat if you want to continue to compare what you consider to be an up-and-coming party schools to Chico State, don't because Chico State is not a party school. This is offensive and ridiculous and I speak for many students when I say that I am sick and tired of this false, skewed reputation of Chico State. Also, if you had actually researched this campus, then you would have not make this comparison. I invite you to take a trip to Chico, come to campus, scour downtown at night and meet with the city's Mayor that works at the university. Everyone you meet will tell you Chico State is hardly a party school, but actually offers so much more. Thank you and please do not make this bogus claim about Chico State again.
jose jimenez

Davis, CA

#4 Apr 25, 2010
Face it, there is no comparison of Chico State and UCD. You have to be above average intelligence to get into UCD. You can check the stats on the arrests to find out how many were from out of town. Chico State has cleaned up dramatically in the last 20 years.

Having been to both campuses I can tell "Not Even Close is either blind or has a problem with mentation or UCD itself. Maybe "Not Even Close" got turned down for entry into the Outstanding UC system, sour grapes? Picnic Day should be cancelled for a few years, or permanently.....
Wendy

Portland, OR

#5 Apr 25, 2010
Seems to me the first thing is to get the local bar owners to refrain from opening until a decent hour, and cut the advertising on it to just students, parents, alumni. But to cancel it after a one year externality seems a bit excessive. More student education/expectations would help as well. It is a shame this Picnic Day got marred.
It is good to hear that Chico State has cleaned up its act/reputation. In my day it definitely was known as a party school, and unfortunately future classes pay for the reputations of past classes actions. Not fair, but it exists. Well done current Chico students/faculty/supporters to change that perception.
Not even close

Sacramento, CA

#6 Apr 25, 2010
jose jimenez wrote:
Face it, there is no comparison of Chico State and UCD. You have to be above average intelligence to get into UCD. You can check the stats on the arrests to find out how many were from out of town. Chico State has cleaned up dramatically in the last 20 years.
Having been to both campuses I can tell "Not Even Close is either blind or has a problem with mentation or UCD itself. Maybe "Not Even Close" got turned down for entry into the Outstanding UC system, sour grapes? Picnic Day should be cancelled for a few years, or permanently.....
Nope, did not get turned down from the totally overrated and overpriced UC system. Went to a fine non-UC university and had a great career and made tons of money. One more thing- the UCD women, for the maost part, don't shave their armpits or know what perfume is either. LOL
Chico Jour Student

Chico, CA

#7 Apr 25, 2010
Let me help you out. Bad journalism point #1: I'm not sure how things go down at the Daily Democrat, but AP Style states no questions in a headline. Enough said, maybe UC Davis should try to be a little more like Chico State.
sorry come again

United States

#8 Apr 25, 2010
Umm no. Because one picnic day goes bad does not mean davis is the new chico. Have you ever been a college student?

Davis is pretty lame, compared to other party schools.
Really

Guinda, CA

#9 Apr 26, 2010
Every school is a "party" school if you visit at the right time. UC Davis just finally got noticed.
Retire Jim

Barnesville, OH

#10 Apr 26, 2010
Jim can't help it because he quit processing new information thus the Old information on Chico. Get with it Jim times are a changing!
Linda Sprowls wrote:
Once again you use a false headline to get readers attention! I am a former attendee of Chico State, back in the day, and my daughter is a senior there now. As you mentioned buried in your article, Chico State has taken steps over the last 20+ years to move away from the "party school" persona. You have used this OLD persona to further your readership and I find it very offensive. You need to print a retraction!!!!!! This was totally dissing a school that has made the proper efforts to control its' students and reputation. How dare you bring up OLD labels just for a story. I certainly hope UCD takes the same road Chico did over 20 years ago to get itself right with the community and its' students. I will await your retraction/apology in print.
Mark D

Colfax, CA

#11 Apr 26, 2010
I lived in Chico up until 2 years ago... It has NOT rehabilitated... Drunken parties getting out of hand is the norm not the exception... try searching youtube for "chico state" and see how recent the videos are of out of control parties - not 20 years old, but brand new videos of drunken people throwing bottles at police...

I would be ashamed of a Chico State degree...
Whole Earth LOL

Davis, CA

#12 Apr 26, 2010
To Not Even Close: Earthy, unshaven, unbathed women ... Ha! You must have been at the Whole Earth Festival where the hippie chicks are. LOL.
Not even close

United States

#13 Apr 26, 2010
Whole Earth LOL wrote:
To Not Even Close: Earthy, unshaven, unbathed women ... Ha! You must have been at the Whole Earth Festival where the hippie chicks are. LOL.
My whole point was one of absurdity. It is just as wrong to generalize about UCD women as it is to still call Chico State (a school known for turning out fine accounting students) a "party school" as it is for people to be smug and upity about UCD. You will find "earthy" women on any campus as you will find out of control parties on any campus.
rich

Sacramento, CA

#14 Apr 27, 2010
I agree with your comments. I am a UCD grad (BA 1980, Ph.D. 1995) and a Davis resident, and I barely recognize the town or college I came to in 1979. During my tenure at UCD, we took true pride in scholastic accomplishments and social committments that were just slightly out of the Berkeley box. The scholar-atheletes of Jim Sochor and Bob Hamilton were Grecian ideals, not PR points. There would have been no greater insult than to have been compared to a "party school" like Chico. I live downtown and, this year, was awakened three times on Picnic Day night by fights outside my window. Where has my town gone?
Concerned parent

United States

#15 Apr 27, 2010
you have got guts to label chico as the BIG party school! As i have heard Santa Barbara got the award last year.All schools these days are party schools.All schools have the same/similar and many worse events that go on. Murders,shootings,Big riots like UC Berkley. Instead of labeling and judging schools, why don't we try to figure out a way to reduce and control these ongoing and increasingly violent crimes AT ALL SCHOOLS!!!
The Dirty 5-Thrity

Chico, CA

#16 Apr 28, 2010
Haha, if Davis thinks they have any chance of outpartying Chico State..they are out of their minds. Besides, there were tons of Chico students who went down to Davis to make it the party it was.
Another concerned parent

Long Beach, CA

#17 Apr 28, 2010
My son, a UC Davis student told us not to bother flying up for Picnic Day weekend; that from what he had heard, it was just a drunken brawl. So happened that he flew home that weekend and I was feeling guilty keeping him from a "fun" weekend...hah! I'm glad he wasn't there. Unfortunately, maybe the Picnic Day event should be curtailed, if not discontinued.
wland530

Sacramento, CA

#18 Apr 28, 2010
Who cares! Jim Smith your an ignorant reporter, write something we dont already know okay.
Chico student

Citrus Heights, CA

#20 Apr 28, 2010
Wow, I did have a rather high opinion of UCD at one point but, I have to say, it has gone down after reading this article. Perhaps I should say my opinion of the Daily Democrat has gone down. At The Orion, Chico State's newspaper, we have editors and copy editors who usually catch such unfounded, biased reporting. I'll admit, things slip by from time to time, but this is ridiculous. There isn't even an attempt to back up any of your claims. I get that it's an opinion article and by all means, have your opinion. But right now, it looks like you used the opinion section as your own personal blog and degraded the integrity of your paper in the process. What in the recent past at Chico State has happened to back up the party school image? Did you try interviewing anyone? Do you have any sources for this article? It sure doesn't look like it right now. Might I suggest, from one journalist to another, either take this blog-like piece down before it ruins the Daily Democrat's reputation any further, or make some much needed revisions. When you make such broad claims like this about a fellow college, you might want to do a little research and cite a few sources so you have something to back yourself up with. Your readers deserve accuracy, not your diary.
Tg woodland

Folsom, CA

#21 Apr 29, 2010
ana wrote:
its true too many lesbians in ucd
too many angry ones in power. Most I know can't stand any man even if a co-worker. It is very weird. I mean twilight zone back room stuff you can't believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Congressional District 3 candidates face off in... Sat No John 10
Candidate field set for Vacaville mayor's race Oct 15 Barbi 11
Trial remains on schedule for Davis teen accuse... Oct 14 Fran Anders 9
Police: Shooter taken into custody near Dixon H... Oct 8 JPS 2
Do you approve of Christopher Cabaldon as Mayor? Oct 6 Anonymous 5
Following accidents near Woodland High, superin... Oct 3 Birds Landing Bob 1
Woodland woman facing murder charges denied pub... Oct 1 Thug Buster 6
Davis Dating
Find my Match

Davis Jobs