Woodland's interim fire chief may get...

Woodland's interim fire chief may get a new title

There are 46 comments on the Daily Democrat story from Feb 8, 2011, titled Woodland's interim fire chief may get a new title. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

Interim Fire Chief Rick Sander may get to drop the "interim" from his title. Sander was granted his position with a "soft target" of 60 days, buying the city time to decide whether to share a chief with either West Sacramento or the joint UC Davis/Davis fire administration.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 10

Hilmar, CA

#2 Feb 8, 2011
Chief Sander gets to write his own contract? Is our City Manager that complicit in the conflict of interest that shows? Of course he is going to put the job in a light that gives him more money.
Oh by the way, why not give him the Senior Center to run? Oh wait, that's been done.
MBN

Woodland, CA

#3 Feb 8, 2011
Must be nice to be able to suggest yourself for a position and possible pay raise along with it.
Concerned

Olivehurst, CA

#4 Feb 8, 2011
Here we go again, WFD playing politics. WFD needs to revitalize thier reserve firefighter program. FACT: 70% of ALL of americas firefighters are volunteer/reserve.
This department needs drastic changes.
True

Woodland, CA

#5 Feb 8, 2011
Concerned wrote:
Here we go again, WFD playing politics. WFD needs to revitalize thier reserve firefighter program. FACT: 70% of ALL of americas firefighters are volunteer/reserve.
I agree, nothing will ever change as long as we allow them to keep writing their own ticket. The fact that the interim chief even suggests that he becomes the new chief is a conflict of interest. Because of this he should be let go - what other things have been done for personal gain at the expense of the taxpayers? How long will the voters stand for these blatant examples of abuse, we should go back to a volunteer department and do away with the attitudes that the unions promote.
Woodlander2

San Rafael, CA

#6 Feb 8, 2011
The position of Chief already has a set salary, Sander wouldn't be "writing his own ticket." He has also made a proposal, one of three, that the city manager has to choose from. I don't think it's out of line at all to believe that you are the right person for a job and put that suggestion forward. At any other job it's perfectly acceptable to put your name in for a higher position when it becomes available.

"TRUE" - Explain what you mean by "other things done for personal gain." I've followed the fire department pretty closely over the last couple of years and haven't seen anything but them working a lot of overtime because they are severely understaffed.
While the P.D. continues to hire many new officers, the F.D. has only lost personnel that have not been replaced.
And no, I'm not a firefighter...
Woodland res

United States

#7 Feb 8, 2011
@Woodlander2

I agree that the fd has lost a few people but don't put the fire against the police. I strongly
Disagree that woodland pd has hired MANY new officers
Woodland res

United States

#8 Feb 8, 2011
I just want to make clear that PD and FD are eqaully important and I hope that are city council and county board of supervisors would recognize this and stop trying to layoff public safety
True

Woodland, CA

#9 Feb 8, 2011
Woodlander2 wrote:
The position of Chief already has a set salary, Sander wouldn't be "writing his own ticket." He has also made a proposal, one of three, that the city manager has to choose from. I don't think it's out of line at all to believe that you are the right person for a job and put that suggestion forward. At any other job it's perfectly acceptable to put your name in for a higher position when it becomes available.
"TRUE" - Explain what you mean by "other things done for personal gain." I've followed the fire department pretty closely over the last couple of years and haven't seen anything but them working a lot of overtime because they are severely understaffed.
While the P.D. continues to hire many new officers, the F.D. has only lost personnel that have not been replaced.
And no, I'm not a firefighter...
You answered your own question - overtime - it's fairly well known that departments can create their own overtime, thus personal gain.
Connecticut Yankee

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#10 Feb 8, 2011
Business' in Woodland are shutting their doors,laying off people and yet the public sector's are padding their own. Guy's, the buckets empty!!!!! I'm not willing to be taxed anymore and watch the public sector reap the benefits of my hard work and risk taking. It's 2011 , we can do all these jobs with less people and more efficency and less $$$.These people have no accountability to anyone and the counsel and management don't have any huevo's to make hard decisions. They benefit from the system being bloated with their own pay and benifits. time for a change and revolution.
Woodland Resident

Baltimore, MD

#11 Feb 8, 2011
I think we all need to take a look at the job description and even see if Mr. Sander can be a long term option as Chief. I don't think he has a bachelor's degree which is a requirement. And I am not even sure he lives in Woodland. Isn't that also a requirement? I think Interim is a better title until a new Chief with the requisite credentials can be hired. But what do I know, I am just a taxpayer with no say in the process.
woodlander

Auburn, CA

#12 Feb 8, 2011
Woodland Resident wrote:
I think we all need to take a look at the job description and even see if Mr. Sander can be a long term option as Chief. I don't think he has a bachelor's degree which is a requirement. And I am not even sure he lives in Woodland. Isn't that also a requirement? I think Interim is a better title until a new Chief with the requisite credentials can be hired. But what do I know, I am just a taxpayer with no say in the process.
Don't think there is a residency requirement, the Police Chief doesn't live in Woodland, he lives outside the City as does the entire police command, all live out of the area and all have city paid for, take home cars.
Woodland Resident

Baltimore, MD

#13 Feb 8, 2011
I still think I will research the job description and see if all requirements have been met. Our City deserves someone with a "professional" background which to me means, work experience combined with at least a Bachelor's degree. I think our Police Chief may even have a Master's Degree. If you want to be a professional department then you recruit and promote those with education and experience. If the top doesn't model that, then it sends a message that you can be a "para professional" and become a Chief. Sometimes experience and longevity in a department just aren't enough to serve the community well. No offense to Mr. Sander, but once he finishes his degree and has some time under his belt as a "Chief" he can apply with other outside candidates. Again, just an opinion of one resident.
Woodland Resident

Baltimore, MD

#14 Feb 8, 2011
From City of Woodland Website: Looks like our "interim Chief" doesn't meet the minimum qualifications. He doesn't have five years as a Chief or Battallion Chief which would satisfy the five years in a management or administrative capacity. Even without the preferred Bachelor's or Masters, he lacks the requisite time in a key leadership position.

Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required
knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and
abilities would be:
Education:
Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited educational institution in public administration or fire science is required. A Master’s degree and/or
additional graduate course work in public administration, business administration or management is preferred.
Experience
Ten years of broad and extensive experience in all major functions of a fire
department, including at least five years in a responsible administrative or
management capacity.
OMGosh

Woodland, CA

#15 Feb 8, 2011
Did you miss this point?

> "Deven has at least three options to choose from. Proposals from West Sacramento and the UC Davis/Davis joint fire administration each call for a part-time chief who would also answer to them."

Do you think "West Sac and the UC Davis/Davis joint fire administrations" are going to be doing this for free if Deven chooses one of these options? How do you feel about having decisions for Woodland made by either of these outside agencies who have areas of their own to service?

Since: Aug 09

Woodland, CA

#16 Feb 8, 2011
Why would we want the fire services ran through either West Sac or UC Davis? The residents of Woodland deserve a full time Fire Chief. If the interim Chief is not the right fit for the job I am very confident that the City could find a qualified person. I am not following the logic on the shared Chief idea.

Since: Jun 10

Los Gatos, CA

#17 Feb 9, 2011
Concerned wrote:
Fact: this is Woodland, you want to stay local with your facts. how many reserve/volunteer people are working in Woodland? What percentage?

Sacramento, CA

#18 Feb 9, 2011
tg Woodland wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: this is Woodland, you want to stay local with your facts. how many reserve/volunteer people are working in Woodland? What percentage?
As a resident of Woodland I am not in favor of reserve/volunteer fire department...If I need a fire department response I want well trained, professional fire fighter/paramedics responding...quickly. I personally think Woodland is too large of a community to be sounding volunteer sirens or rousting sleeping volunteers via phone calls. We deserve a professional full time staff that is managed and led by individuals that are ONLY concerned with the fire/paramedic services for our city and our city alone.
Read up

Woodland, CA

#19 Feb 9, 2011
Double Bogey wrote:
<quoted text>
As a resident of Woodland I am not in favor of reserve/volunteer fire department...If I need a fire department response I want well trained, professional fire fighter/paramedics responding...quickly. I personally think Woodland is too large of a community to be sounding volunteer sirens or rousting sleeping volunteers via phone calls. We deserve a professional full time staff that is managed and led by individuals that are ONLY concerned with the fire/paramedic services for our city and our city alone.
All volunteers are very well trained and most if not all are at least EMT's if not paramedics. You should check your facts before commenting, and another thing if the department would just respond to fire calls (instead of using medical aide calls to pad the number of responses to justify their existence, overtime, etc.) and let the ambulance service handle the medical calls - which I might add they are better suited to handle anyway. When was the last time you saw a fire engine with a patient in the back? You would be surprised on how many people would sign up and take the training necessary to be a volunteer and support their community and save it money in the process. I believe for the amount of actual structure fires that woodland has a volunteer department would work just fine.
Connecticut Yankee

South Lake Tahoe, CA

#20 Feb 9, 2011
Read up wrote:
<quoted text>
All volunteers are very well trained and most if not all are at least EMT's if not paramedics. You should check your facts before commenting, and another thing if the department would just respond to fire calls (instead of using medical aide calls to pad the number of responses to justify their existence, overtime, etc.) and let the ambulance service handle the medical calls - which I might add they are better suited to handle anyway. When was the last time you saw a fire engine with a patient in the back? You would be surprised on how many people would sign up and take the training necessary to be a volunteer and support their community and save it money in the process. I believe for the amount of actual structure fires that woodland has a volunteer department would work just fine.
I agree that a private ambulance company would do the job much more efficently and would reduce the need for so many fireman saving the cities and counties major revenue $

Sacramento, CA

#21 Feb 9, 2011
Read up wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between an EMT and a Paramedic is HUGE...Please cite the volunteer fire department that has paramedics. AMR is the main local private ambulance company in Woodland and they have FAR more EMT's than paramedics employed by their company. Paramedics save more lives annually for one simple reason...they have more training and are able to administer drugs to patients. So while you may not see a patient in the back of a fire truck...the work that the paramedics that arrived on that truck are doing is more than likely saving a life. My opinion is that the City of Woodland is too large to rely on a volunteer fire department and the leadership of the Woodland Fire Department needs to be kept in house...looking out for Woodland's issues first and foremost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UPS employee dies in workplace collision (Jan '16) Jul 21 crash 8
News California to certify low primary turnout, Clin... Jul 20 Birds Landing Bob 6
News Officials: Solano residents can expect roads to... Jul 20 Birds Landing Bob 1
News Pesticide exposure in the womb increases chance... Jul 4 TRASH SCIENCE 1
News Another Woodland gang-related murder in almost ... Jul 3 mother81 1
News Supervisors decline to put sales tax increase o... Jun '16 Birds Landing Bob 1
News Cardiologists, Veterinarian Work Together to Fi... (May '15) Jun '16 Big Al 6

Davis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davis Mortgages