Davidson, Mooresville OK cable deal

Full story: Charlotte.com

Mooresville and Davidson town leaders voted Monday night to enter the cable business, creating the second such government-run system in the state.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
nuwave

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

I cannot beleive that the people in the towns of Davidson and Mooresville would let such a thing happen.
JonathanA

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2007

The people obviously did not have a say in this decision. Furthermore, what input they were allowed to give fell on deaf ears at the community meetings. I hope the leaders know (and, by the way, they do know) that Time Warner is going to be bringing their full cable services into these areas anyway. If you ask me, that's what makes the decision by these towns' leaders pretty damned bold. That means the city is going to have to compete not only with Direct TV and Dish Network, but Time Warner Cable (the 2nd largest cable company in the U.S.) for video and broadband services. Do Mooresville, Davidson, and Cornelius have the resources to compete with these juggernauts over the long haul? Time will tell, but clearly if the "PEOPLE" had been given the opportunity to vote on this measure, it would have failed by a landslide. But be assured of this, the people will still have their chance to vote. And that will be when it comes time to choose their provider of these services.
Mooresville HO

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

OK let me get this straight; Mooresville is putting up $70 million for this system. As a resident, I didnít realize that we finally addressed the other needs of the community. Increased fire and police protection, public health programs along with the staff to meet the needs. I guess our traffic and congestion problems have been solved and we have a fine supply of parks and recreational options.

I must have missed something over the last couple of years. Thanks Mayor Bill Thunberg has been leading our community. Thanks Mr. Thunberg for committing $70 million of our tax dollars for showing the community that we have all of our other priorities addressed. Funny that these are the same people that state there are no dollars available for increased governmental public services and city infrastructure improvements but buy a cable system.
Mooresville homeowner

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

A couple of mistakes here.....Mooresville is borrowing $75 million, not $70 million. And....of course all of our problems are solved...why else would our town leaders have spent all this time and over a MILLION in legal fees. If we had more pressing needs I'm sure they'd have been all over them.

We get to vote twice....once for either Dish or Time Warner....and one more time to vote out Thunberg.
Davidson Homeowner

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

I for one am very pleased. TW cable service in a word is terrible. I have since moved to DirectTV but will move back to cable once this transaction is completed. One point, TW is in the business of making money, do you actually believe that TW was losing money in Mooreville and Davidson.... In the long term this purchase will provide better service, money to the both cities (in the form of the former TW profits or lower cable bills) - which could be used to offset taxes and oh yes, competition to the others which may keep rates down in this area (but not outside or it). I don't know about you guys but I the cable rates have been going crazy and Time Warner Company keep reporting record profits. Iíll grant you that this purchase is in the grey area of public service. It does give the town the ability to grant high-speed internet to everyone at a reasonable rate. So it is in keeping with the high tech push.
Mooresville homeowner

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2007

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Time Warner. Within two weeks of them taking over the system they were able to fix a problem that Adelphia couldn't.
I would go to Dish just to not be part of this goofy venture but I don't want the long term contract. I've compared prices for cable and Dish and it's a wash if you want HD.....and the internet speeds are too slow in DSL. My bet is TWC will be in here within 6 months.....
Mooresville HO

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2007

Sure TWC is in the business of making money. They are a business with shareholders in a capitalistic economy. Time Warner has thousands of employees who specialize in the cable and video delivery industry. They make money by leveraging this knowledge and use economies of scale to decrease their costs while keeping prices at a level that private consumers and business will pay for.

Government on the other hand has no experiences running a business in the video and internet delivery realm. Mooresville and Davidson have no years of experience, no negotiated rates with suppliers, broadcasters and satellite providers. This will result in high costs for Mooresville and Davidson. Is this new cable company going to be staffed 24x7? Weekend installations?

The funny thing in all of this is that we actually have government providing entertainment for our homes and businesses. Sure people say this purchase enables local companyís broadband speeds critical for businesses but come on, there are dozens of providers in Mooresville that provides affordable Internet access via DSL, T-1, wireless and cable connections. I know very few small businesses that donít already have a high speed connection paying on average of $30-$40/month for 1.5-2mb.

Maybe we need to move road building and school management to private industry since local government is providing Food Network, CNN and HBO. Iíll stick with Satellite and Windstream thank youÖ..
Mooresville HO

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Morrison Plantation, the $200,000 "lost" water bill, the $75 million for a cable company...pick your reason, but VOTE THUNBERG OUT.
vic marquis

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

nice to know that those idiots from TOM and DAVIDSON will be competing with TIME WARNER when it brings in the latest technology right here in mooresville..AS usual this mayor, and his alliance didn't have any forsight to see what's coming from TIME WARNER. OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Mooresville homeowner

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

No....not $75 million.....the bond package was $92 million....and they think they're gonna need more. Does anyone have any experience with Windstream DSL in Mooresville? Or Dish Network HD? I tried Windstream once and their speeds were too slow. Dish looks like they eat you alive with extra fees and make you sign a long term contract. Before I write a check to Rader-vision I want to exhaust my options.
vic marquis

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Mooresville homeowner wrote:
No....not $75 million.....the bond package was $92 million....and they think they're gonna need more. Does anyone have any experience with Windstream DSL in Mooresville? Or Dish Network HD? I tried Windstream once and their speeds were too slow. Dish looks like they eat you alive with extra fees and make you sign a long term contract. Before I write a check to Rader-vision I want to exhaust my options.
I have windstream, and quite satisfied for the money they charge. Roadrunner is awesome, but out of site as far as the cost. Dsl beats dial up, which is nearly impossible to work with. I don't think writing a RADERcheck will help, especially when Time Warner returns with cable and intenet. Gets my fanny still, that our board morons got us into this mess. I also have dish rapped around my windstream package for a total of 140.00 a mo.(includes unlimited long distance, local line, dish 200 channels and dsl broadband. good luck with your search..
Kimberly

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2008

Time Warner is the best...MI-connection has horrible service...MI-connection was a HUGE mistake...I want my Time Warner back!!!!!! Shame on the idiots who made this decision..... I have now canceled my Vonage service because of my internet connection with MI-connection is so horrible....and I have also canceled my internet with MI-connection...I only wish there was another cable provider in this area...and I am not able to get a dish because I live in an apartment that will not allow them....I HATE MI-connection...the service is horrible....
Madddog

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2008

Check this blog out. It says Mooresville is going to need 12 million dollars more for cable.

www.thegattonreport.blogspot.com
Mooresville homeowner

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2008

Actually it looks like they need $16 million more.

http://www.charlotte.com/239/story/538852.htm...

Where does it all end??
Mike in Mooresville

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

On top of this the MI-Connection costs for Internet and cable are far more than the costs for Windstream DSL ($20-$30/month) and a comparable DirecTV or Dish Network package. The competition in the industry will costs us Mooresville residents millions. Imagine that....cost overruns. Glad that Mooresville has all their other city programs fully funded, roads widened, traffic lights in the 20th century, etc.

Boy....when is it time to vote? ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Davidson Discussions

Search the Davidson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr State of Florida 54,883
Tempt Boutique 4 hr Leslie 2
parking tickets Thu Sunny 3
Debate: Marijuana - Mooresville, NC (Aug '10) Jul 8 ryan mulls 53
Wreck victim Angela Flores-Hager left behind a ... (Feb '08) Jun 26 claire 29
City cops charge Iredell man for growing pot Jun 26 Mandy 1
Iredell County DSS (Oct '09) Jun 24 Shannon 33
•••
•••
•••
•••

Davidson Jobs

•••