Mom recalled to Army duty plans to report with her kids

Feb 28, 2009 Full story: Houston Chronicle 22

Lisa Pagan is shown with her husband, Travis, and her children Elizabeth, 4, and Eric, 3, at their home in Davidson, N.C., on Friday, Feb.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
salamatko

Boise, ID

#1 Mar 1, 2009
throw her...and her kids in jail. problem solved.

Since: Jul 07

Knoxville, TN

#2 Mar 1, 2009
salamatko wrote:
You go in her place.
salamatko

Boise, ID

#3 Mar 1, 2009
nope...she signed up. she is responsible. She knew the consequences of being in the military..and that means being able to deploy. Without her children. Go directly to jail, do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

“Missing Mickey!!”

Since: Mar 08

St.Louis

#4 Mar 1, 2009
she was not on active duty..she is inactive and she was called back up...she should not have to go..i am also in Individual Ready Reserves and if they call me up I will go with my kids too..hell my husband is over there now! Thats the reason I got OUT of the military...
salamatko

Boise, ID

#5 Mar 1, 2009
she was called back up because she is irr. That means when she signed on the dotted line she agreed to be available to call up if required. You got out of the military...good for you. Your husband is over there....he agreed to go when he signed up. Good for him. Bottomline..it isn't about you or your husband. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you are irr you agreed to be called up if required. I hope they do call you up.

“Missing Mickey!!”

St.Louis

#6 Mar 1, 2009
salamatko wrote:
she was called back up because she is irr. That means when she signed on the dotted line she agreed to be available to call up if required. You got out of the military...good for you. Your husband is over there....he agreed to go when he signed up. Good for him. Bottomline..it isn't about you or your husband. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you are irr you agreed to be called up if required. I hope they do call you up.
hahaha well dont worry much longer my time is done in september. And no without a family care plan..(since we would be dual military) I still wont deploy. Thankyou.
salamatko

Boise, ID

#7 Mar 1, 2009
I'm happy for you. so you won't have to "show up with your kids" as you previously claimed you would do if called up.

Oh, and from your picture, you are beautiful. Not as beautiful as my wife...but pretty close although to me my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world. Your husband is a very lucky guy just like I am lucky.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#8 Mar 2, 2009
Mickey N Ashley wrote:
she was not on active duty..she is inactive and she was called back up...she should not have to go..i am also in Individual Ready Reserves and if they call me up I will go with my kids too..hell my husband is over there now! Thats the reason I got OUT of the military...
why shouldnt she go? she signed a contract. there are other families serving over there, both husband and wife, leaving thier kids behind. i have no sympathy for her.

she has three choices;
1) ignore the order and go to jail
2) run away to Canada and never return to the USA
3) honor her contract and serve her country. others are so why should she be exempt.

if the military lets her off the hook expect a flood of personnel looking for the same.

“IM TOO SEXY FOR TOPIX”

Since: Feb 09

Bigfart,Tx

#9 Mar 2, 2009
salamatko wrote:
yeah right you dumbass.

“Missing Mickey!!”

St.Louis

#10 Mar 2, 2009
salamatko wrote:
I'm happy for you. so you won't have to "show up with your kids" as you previously claimed you would do if called up.
Oh, and from your picture, you are beautiful. Not as beautiful as my wife...but pretty close although to me my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world. Your husband is a very lucky guy just like I am lucky.
Thank you thats very sweet of you. Im sure most husbands think their wives are the most beautiful women..(lol i would hope they think that).=)
lanetime

Fairfax, VA

#11 Mar 2, 2009
The Army has such a weird personnel system. They're going to randomly call up truck drivers? That's one of the easiest jobs to fill in the military.
Nomad

Johnstown, PA

#12 Mar 2, 2009
salamatko wrote:
nope...she signed up. she is responsible. She knew the consequences of being in the military..and that means being able to deploy. Without her children. Go directly to jail, do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I wasn't aware Idahoans were so self centered and hypocritical.
If you care so much, enlist and go fight in her place.
The armed forces of America needs you. They are now recruiting non-citizens, promising them American citizenship if they return from Iraq alive. Or at least in a few living pieces.
Randy

Mount Holly, NC

#14 Mar 3, 2009
salamatko wrote:
Are you that stupid--she did her military time as did her husband, doing time in Iraq. During Vietnam one only served 11 months and you never went back unless your volunteered.

Besides the draft was stopped years ago and this is volunteer military and in volunteer you can quit and receive a general discharge.

Obama needs to do something about current rules as they need to stop expecting people serve in this war indefinitely and forever. Or else everyone go.
fed up with the mess

United States

#16 Mar 3, 2009
Why is her dumbas enlisted in the Army anyway. If you have children your as needs to be home and let your husband provide like he is supposed to. This is the problem right now with this country.

“Missing Mickey!!”

St.Louis

#17 Mar 3, 2009
fed up with the mess wrote:
Why is her dumbas enlisted in the Army anyway. If you have children your as needs to be home and let your husband provide like he is supposed to. This is the problem right now with this country.
Maybe because she wanted a shot at the military?? Whats your problem?? Females dont have to sit home..its 2009!~
george burnett

AOL

#18 Mar 3, 2009
fed up with the mess wrote:
i half way agree with you;the women want the military JOBS AND PROMOTIONS AND BENEFITS open to them;but they really don't seem to grasp that it just isn't another job.that is why the army never seems to be able to actualy deploy them.give her a less than honorable discharge. the second(and larger problem) is the inability of the politicians to get a grip on reality(I.E the way theworld actually works).use the army to break things and kill people when necessary.enough of nation building as missionary work.you can't convert the heathern's.you just end up draining your treasury,and wearing out your troops.
george burnett

AOL

#19 Mar 3, 2009
Mickey N Ashley wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe because she wanted a shot at the military?? Whats your problem?? Females dont have to sit home..its 2009!~
WON'T be able to deploy you either.
John

Huntersville, NC

#20 Mar 3, 2009
Just wondered.

If a Husband/father showed up at Benning as this young women did, with children in tow, would the reaction be the same?

The contract that she signed was for eight years, 4 of which are actice duty, 4 IRR. It is very clear that it is an 8 year commitment, but most do not take IRR seriously.

We keep pretending that all is fair and that we should not treat females differently, but here is a prime case where her gender did dramatically change the outcome.

My son's are both IRR, both have gone back to school, one has a job, a big mortgage, and being recalled would be tough. But they know it is their obligation, they voluntarily signed the contract.

Can you imagine the mess if we start to treat these military contracts the way professional athletes treat theirs?

I feel bad for her situation, and especially her children and husband.

But in all fairness, she is best left home.

Make no mistake, these women can fight, and fight well. My good friend, all 5' 100 lbs, tore up a bunch of insurgents with a 50 cal., even after taking two in the arm. So no argument on their ability to kick this enemies backside.
COUNTRY FIRST

United States

#21 Mar 3, 2009
HUMANS FIRST-----

HUMANS IN THE MILITARY ONLY.
NO MALE, NO FEMALE, NO GAYS , NO WHAT EVER!
ALL PEOPLE ARE HUMAN-----HUMAN ONLY!

Are american females allowed to go on the battle field for fighting?
Are americans military men and women allowed to sleep in the same room in the barracks?
Are gay males allowed to share the same room in the barracks.
Is their a law against sexual intercourse with all military members in barracks and on military property?

HUMANS ONLY!

“Semper Gumby!”

Since: May 08

Enfield, UK

#22 Mar 4, 2009
John wrote:
Just wondered.
If a Husband/father showed up at Benning as this young women did, with children in tow, would the reaction be the same?
The contract that she signed was for eight years, 4 of which are actice duty, 4 IRR. It is very clear that it is an 8 year commitment, but most do not take IRR seriously.
We keep pretending that all is fair and that we should not treat females differently, but here is a prime case where her gender did dramatically change the outcome.
My son's are both IRR, both have gone back to school, one has a job, a big mortgage, and being recalled would be tough. But they know it is their obligation, they voluntarily signed the contract.
Can you imagine the mess if we start to treat these military contracts the way professional athletes treat theirs?
I feel bad for her situation, and especially her children and husband.
But in all fairness, she is best left home.
Make no mistake, these women can fight, and fight well. My good friend, all 5' 100 lbs, tore up a bunch of insurgents with a 50 cal., even after taking two in the arm. So no argument on their ability to kick this enemies backside.
Do you understand that the IRR these days has been used as a back-door draft? Do you?

Do you understand that people who did their duty, fulfilled their commitment, did everything that was asked of them, and much much more, are then asked to do more?

Do you understand that while WE were at war, our great political leaders were urging others to go shop?

Do you understand that the military dropped its recruiting standards so low in 2005-2008 that we were taking in the worst recruits, because those who have the most in our great nation were off SHOPPING and speculating on houses instead of partaking in the war effort?

Do you understand that there are members in the military now who have deployed more than in any other war in American history?

Do you also understand that all the indicators of over-fatigue are there? Suicides up, disciplinary problems up, murders up, etc. etc. etc.

This woman finally showed what a strain the military has put on its service members. What was she supposed to do, leave the kids in a hotel room while she deployed?

If this nation doesn't feel we should be at war, or if most people don't want to put up the effort for it, then stop picking on the few in the military, saying you "support the troops", hanging a yellow ribbon up, and showing your support by advocating each member do 4 or 5 deployments... HELLO THAT ISN'T SUPPORT!

It's funny watching these bail-outs on TV, where the US government has no problem giving out TRILLIONS to failed corporations, yet the military had to fight TOOTH AND NAIL for a few BILLION to get better body armor!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davidson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 2 hr Ben 60,200
Deputies charge man for 2010 breaking and entering Sep 20 movingon 1
9-11 never forget !!!! Sep 13 Never Forget 2
Who do you support for U.S. House in North Caro... (Oct '10) Sep 9 Waco 28
Track use at MHS Sep 4 JJD 1
Review: Tire Kingdom Sep 3 mnjack82 3
So, Where is Kevin Green? Sep 1 NC - educator 2
Davidson Dating
Find my Match

Davidson Jobs