Accidental Shooting Kills Teen

Accidental Shooting Kills Teen

There are 34 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Dec 30, 2008, titled Accidental Shooting Kills Teen. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

An 11-year-old boy has died at an Oklahoma City hospital after he was accidentally shot near Chandler.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Live, Laugh, Love!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#23 Dec 30, 2008
What in THE HELL were they thinking giving an 11 year old a 22??!?!?! IDIOTS!
Somewhere

Morris, OK

#24 Dec 30, 2008
I have an 11 year son, who has a couple of rifles, not handguns, and he uses them to hunt, target practice, etc. with his dad. However, he was taught gun safety at a very young age.
onceavictim

Talala, OK

#25 Dec 30, 2008
Somewhere wrote:
I have an 11 year son, who has a couple of rifles, not handguns, and he uses them to hunt, target practice, etc. with his dad. However, he was taught gun safety at a very young age.
You just said the magic words....With his dad. Most parents that give their childrn rifles are responsible enough to teach them to use it and are always supervising the use of the rifle. It is incomrehensible to me someone would give an 11 year old child a .22 hand gun and say go play...:(
jiffies

Tulsa, OK

#26 Dec 30, 2008
These people learned child gun safety the hard way...
Whatever

Pawnee, OK

#27 Dec 30, 2008
elli wrote:
What kind of idiot would give a child a handgun? I'm sure some hillbilly, got to establish my manhood, inbred, uneducated cousin eddy did this. Learning to use a shotgun and mastering that skill is not unimportant but to even think a child of 11 is capable of understanding the permance of death let alone the consequences of an "accidental discharge", leaves me believing these parents are culpable of negligent homicide. THIS WAS PREVENTABLE! Another child tragically lost. May God help his siblings.
We can't all be worthless City Slickers!!
Whatever

Pawnee, OK

#28 Dec 30, 2008
You can't get a deer tag without gun safety for the, but Not sure of the age -
Ron B

Broken Arrow, OK

#29 Dec 30, 2008
Elli seems to be fairly opinionated. I wonder how the opinions are about backyard swimming pools. Stats show that a child is something like 15 times more likely to drown in a pool than to be accidentally shot. Anytime a child (especially) get killed by an accident it is tragic, but let's realize that drunk drivers and abusive parents are far more dangerous than handguns or rifles.

“Live, Laugh, Love!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#30 Dec 30, 2008
Ron B wrote:
Elli seems to be fairly opinionated. I wonder how the opinions are about backyard swimming pools. Stats show that a child is something like 15 times more likely to drown in a pool than to be accidentally shot. Anytime a child (especially) get killed by an accident it is tragic, but let's realize that drunk drivers and abusive parents are far more dangerous than handguns or rifles.
It doesn't matter what it is. Common sense is common sense. You get a pool, teach them to swim. Get a car, teach them to drive. Get a gun, teach them to use it. There is NO substitute for common sense at all. Stupidity should be painful and in this case it will be.
elli

Talala, OK

#31 Dec 30, 2008
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text> We can't all be worthless City Slickers!!
not a city slicker, grew up in the country overseas. Just very saddened that a child is dead. This is heartbreaking, especially since it could so easily have been prevented. To many children are dying.
Common sense

Oktaha, OK

#32 Dec 31, 2008
Tega wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter what it is. Common sense is common sense. You get a pool, teach them to swim. Get a car, teach them to drive. Get a gun, teach them to use it. There is NO substitute for common sense at all. Stupidity should be painful and in this case it will be.
I think the point here is that just because children drown in pools, we're not going to "outlaw" them.
The answer is education not abstinence.
ren

Tulsa, OK

#33 Dec 31, 2008
My sympathy goes out to the parents, but your child should not even been handling the guns without adult supervision. Kids that age are not responsible.
Jeneva

Talala, OK

#34 Dec 31, 2008
Ron B wrote:
In every case, parental supervision and responsibility could prevent a devastating outcome. This just speaks to the fact that no matter what the tragedy is, parents don't learn from the example of other parent's mistakes and bad choices. Even after this, some eejit is going to just turn over a gun and bullets to a child or teen without emphasis on safety. Some parent will consider a pool a babysitter, and some parents will drink and drive and endanger their own and others. It's like we live in a nation of morons who think that bad things only happen to other people. No one ever learns. I'm sure that come summer time some parent will leave a baby in a car and the result will be awful.
SteVe

Tulsa, OK

#35 Dec 31, 2008
It all boils down to gun safety. Since the child was given a rifle at 10, he must have proved to his parents that he was responsible enough to be given a pistol a year later. If the child was taught the correct way to handle a gun (which we don't know that the parents didn't, maybe the child loaded the pistol without the knowledge of the parents to impress his friend). I do agree that this is a tragic accident. But I had a rifle, shotgun, and pistol when I was 12. There is nothing wrong with that and my parents weren't crazy!!!! I was taken out in the back pasture and taught the correct way to handle a gun and what they were capable of!!
I am now a member of a gun club north of Sand Springs, and there are classes that are given at my range that anyone can attend to learn gun safety.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people, be it a accident such as this, or not.
free_moments68

Greenwood, IN

#36 Apr 17, 2009
freebird852 wrote:
Who in God's name would buy a pistol for an 11 yr old child???? Or a shotgun for a 10 yr old child.!!! That is just simply a form of child abuse. Parents like this child parents should be hung out to dry. I am just appauled at these parents. Please Lord, give this family peace & comfort during their grief. And may many, many other parents learn a lesson from this tragedy. Don't buy children firearms, period!!!
I live in a small town in Indiana and my friends son, 17, was accidentally shot by his best friend. The owner of the shotgun,(the parent)also had several other firearms obviouisly not secured nor was he home when the accident occured. there were 5 teens present in the home at the time. The one boy went to put the gun down and it went off as the deceased walked into the room killing him. The father, at whose home this occurred, has never once apologized or taken any responsibility for what occurred. It was his best friend, since grade school, who was held responsible. There has been no mention whatsoever about why any of the guns were not secured. Yes, the teens should have known better, and yes this was a freak accident, but where in the hell is the father's culpability? Those boys who witnessed this will forever have this engraved in their memory. The father's two sons were home at the time and were just as responsible for getting the guns out. WHY isnt the father held accountable?!! I really dont get it and if anyone can help with any precident or case law which would support the culpability of the father also...please, please, please, help!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gary Schroeder Jan 20 Ponderosa 1
No Remorse Dec '15 Richard Dunning 1
Lincoln County Jail Chandler Oklahoma Corrupt Nov '15 myhusbandisinther... 1
Say NO to a Prison in Stroud (Apr '08) Oct '15 Maw 3
Slow Down Oct '15 Danny Sharp 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Gene Imel as Mayor? (May '14) Sep '15 Dave Edmond 2
Debate: Iowa GOP Debate - Davenport, OK (Aug '11) Aug '11 Smith Miller 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages