Accidental Shooting Kills Teen

Dec 30, 2008 Read more: News on 6 Tulsa 34
An 11-year-old boy has died at an Oklahoma City hospital after he was accidentally shot near Chandler. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KKZ

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Dec 30, 2008
Such a tragic story, but why would an 11 y/o need a gun?

“bubbly toes”

Since: Nov 08

Tulsa

#2 Dec 30, 2008
this is a tragedy!
Getting Better

Tulsa, OK

#4 Dec 30, 2008
An 11 year old doesn't need a gun and I don't care if they are in a rural area. My heart goes out to the parents and grandparents.
oklahoma

Matteson, IL

#5 Dec 30, 2008
why in the world did this young boy have a gun. that is the craziest thing i have ever heard of.

“Who dropped the stupid bomb?”

Since: Aug 08

Doghouse

#6 Dec 30, 2008
Jestergrl59 wrote:
I wonder if the boy was educated on the use of the gun. My question is why did the boy have a round in the chamber? It isn't unusual for boys and girls in rural areas have guns, however, the children are educated on the use of a gun or a rifle.
Not necessarily..... evident by this tragic accident.
matt

Edmond, OK

#7 Dec 30, 2008
i can understand giving an 11 y old a .22 rifle or even a shotgon for hunting/target practice for hunting. but a handgun? what was the kid going to do with that. its very sad. but geez come on, what happened to gun safty, or locking up the ammo. this is soo bad on so many levels, i can't help but pray for the families involved
matt

Edmond, OK

#8 Dec 30, 2008
since when is 11 considered a teen. great reporting once again.
freebird852

Villa Park, IL

#10 Dec 30, 2008
Who in God's name would buy a pistol for an 11 yr old child???? Or a shotgun for a 10 yr old child.!!! That is just simply a form of child abuse. Parents like this child parents should be hung out to dry. I am just appauled at these parents. Please Lord, give this family peace & comfort during their grief. And may many, many other parents learn a lesson from this tragedy. Don't buy children firearms, period!!!
icareforoklahoma s

Pawhuska, OK

#11 Dec 30, 2008
So the boy was given a .22 rifle at age ten and then a .22 pistol this year at age 11. What in the world are they thinking? Where were they parents and grandparents when this happened? Good lord people, wake up.
tnt

Broken Arrow, OK

#12 Dec 30, 2008
yes, understandable on rifle, but not on handgun. I just don't understand why he would need a pistol!!!!! I feel sorry for the little boy that was out there with him. I can't imagine what he is going through. If the parents or any adults wasn't around why wasn't the gun locked up????
demINtulsa

Wagoner, OK

#13 Dec 30, 2008
Nothing wrong with having a firmarm as a child. My brothers and I all had shotguns, rifle, and handguns when we were little, but there must be some form of control. Ammo should never be where a child can access it, nor should there have been a weapon without a trigger lock. This is a very traggic accident, but it was an accident. I give my condolences to the family.
Jeneva

Talala, OK

#14 Dec 30, 2008
The debate used to be whether or not to buy a child of this age a BB gun. Concerns over shooting eyes out were strongly voiced resulting in many children not getting BB guns, and many shooting their eyes out. It would be so nice to only read that a child shot their eye out. I think the moral of the whole issue is that if they can handle a BB gun safely, then the graduation to an actual fire-arm would be something to be considered.
I think it's a sad waste for a child to die in such a preventable way.
demINtulsa

Wagoner, OK

#15 Dec 30, 2008
Nothing wrong with having a firearm as a child. My brothers and I all had shotguns, rifle, and handguns when we were little, but there must be some form of control. Ammo should never be where a child can access it, nor should there have been any kind of firearm without a trigger lock. This is a very traggic accident, but it was an accident. I give my condolences to the family.
concernedmom

Owasso, OK

#16 Dec 30, 2008
This is a shame. Why in the world would a child this young need a hand gun???? It just does not make any sense what so ever. I'm scared for my child to use a BB gun at the age of 11 much less a real gun. It's sad that these parents lost a child because of their ignorance. I feel sorry for the kids other relatives and the child involved. One Gun has changed the lives many people forever.

Since: Sep 08

Mustang, OK

#17 Dec 30, 2008
matt wrote:
since when is 11 considered a teen. great reporting once again.
That was my first thought and then my second thought was what everyone else is touching base on-why would a preteen need 2 guns, why was it handled without the safety on, and lastly who needs it loaded and being handled by a child without supervision?
absolutely

Tulsa, OK

#18 Dec 30, 2008
OMG! I think that I will be glad that my child is so into computer/wii games now! I am so sorry for the family and especially for the parents that bought this boy guns. May God bless and comfort you.
elli

Talala, OK

#19 Dec 30, 2008
What kind of idiot would give a child a handgun? I'm sure some hillbilly, got to establish my manhood, inbred, uneducated cousin eddy did this. Learning to use a shotgun and mastering that skill is not unimportant but to even think a child of 11 is capable of understanding the permance of death let alone the consequences of an "accidental discharge", leaves me believing these parents are culpable of negligent homicide. THIS WAS PREVENTABLE! Another child tragically lost. May God help his siblings.
animal lover

Claremore, OK

#20 Dec 30, 2008
what were the parents thinking when they gave thier 10 year old a rifle as a gift and then a pistol at the age of 11years old.I dont understand what a 11 year old would be doing with a loaded gun and why wasnt some one with him when he was handling the gun.So many mistakes were made here and now the lose of a life.This is really a sad story.

“bubbly toes”

Since: Nov 08

Tulsa

#21 Dec 30, 2008
elli wrote:
What kind of idiot would give a child a handgun? I'm sure some hillbilly, got to establish my manhood, inbred, uneducated cousin eddy did this. Learning to use a shotgun and mastering that skill is not unimportant but to even think a child of 11 is capable of understanding the permance of death let alone the consequences of an "accidental discharge", leaves me believing these parents are culpable of negligent homicide. THIS WAS PREVENTABLE! Another child tragically lost. May God help his siblings.
omg show some freakin sympathy! this family just lost a son!!! My parents showed me and my siblings how to use a gun and how to protect ourselves at a young age. This was nothing more than a tragic accident!!! Dont you dare start pointing fingers at the parents who im sure who are dealing with enough blame. How many of you guys never had your parents take you out and teach you how to shoot the gun... God be with the family!!!
elli

Talala, OK

#22 Dec 30, 2008
sweetrobinann wrote:
<quoted text>
omg show some freakin sympathy! this family just lost a son!!! My parents showed me and my siblings how to use a gun and how to protect ourselves at a young age. This was nothing more than a tragic accident!!! Dont you dare start pointing fingers at the parents who im sure who are dealing with enough blame. How many of you guys never had your parents take you out and teach you how to shoot the gun... God be with the family!!!
Again What kind of idiot would give an eleven year old child a handgun? A parent that is (1) stupid (2) doesn't give a s***(3) uneducated (4) lazy (5) and too many other things to count. The point is that the child was 11. And if you have any understanding of the intellectual or emotional developement of an 11 year old child, then you already know why giving them a gun was all of the above and more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stevie Ray Vaughan was a Christian (Nov '08) Apr 6 Colinsextonleader... 31
recall judge cynthia ashwood now! (Feb '12) Apr 4 Celeste 4
News Grandparents of slain 5-year-old girl are grant... (Jul '11) Mar '15 Onstage 14
What about Attorney Craig Key?? (Jun '12) Feb '15 Onstage 725
class mates Feb '15 malden man 1
Skeletal remains found in chandler (Apr '14) Feb '15 Celeste 11
Debate: Marijuana - Chandler, OK (Feb '11) Jan '15 420NOW 2
More from around the web

Davenport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]