Santa Cruz County could lose millions with new census designations

It's a newly defined urban area proposed by the U.S. Census Bureau. It runs from north of Santa Cruz to south of Salinas with Watsonville in between. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disabuser

Rio Vista, CA

#1 Dec 2, 2010
Of course anything that results in less money from the federal government must be wrong.
semantics

Union City, CA

#2 Dec 2, 2010
disabuser wrote:
Of course anything that results in less money from the federal government must be wrong.
A much more accurate way of viewing it would be: The Federal government is going to return LESS of the money that we gave them.
John Galt

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Dec 2, 2010
It sounds like routes would be cut to only those that raise enough revenue from passengers to pay for the operation of the route.

That would mean the Countywide sales tax that supports the bus system would no longer be needed, and could be repealed.

There is a silver lining after all.
Ray in Santa Cruz

United States

#4 Dec 2, 2010
Simply put, the Census Bureau has acknowledged the change in the ethnic distribution in the region, including the decreasing Anglo population ratio in the islands of Santa Cruz and Capitola.

Nothing wrong with this, just recognizing the facts.
fear_da_guv

Capitola, CA

#5 Dec 2, 2010
"....
"This is what everybody fears about the government," said county Supervisor John Leopold, who also sits on LAFCO. "That some bureaucrat in Washington, D.C., uses statistics to create a profile of what goes on here in Santa Cruz and Monterey counties."
....."

Got that 1/2 right there, Johny Boy.

Wow! Even progressives may catch on to "states rights" one day!

But in the meantime, you folks on the left stick with the usual bashing of the libertarian right who have been talking for decades about the evils of the Federal government, about devolution and localism.

Wake up call.
Kelso the Wonder Horse

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Dec 2, 2010
Wait!!! We Santa Cruzans are addicted to tax money from people who actually work in other parts of the country! How will we afford another Tannery Arts Center or another giant "Welcome to Santa Cruz" sign like the one on River Street? How can we buy a "railroad to nowhere"? Worst of all, our bus drivers, the second-highest paid in the U.S., will have to settle for the wages they actually deserve. How will union bus driver boss Bonnie Moor make the payments on her BMW SUV? On the other hand, we could train chimpanzees to drive the buses.

Don't take my federal money away!! You can strip search me at the airport, raise my taxes, send mymoney to Wall Street and General Motors, but don't take away Santa Cruz's welfare check!!
tax cutter

Watsonville, CA

#7 Dec 2, 2010
this sounds like a good idea to me. The bus only slow down traffic with all the stops they make.
Jar Jar

United States

#8 Dec 2, 2010
Da feds are fed up with the shittheads from here, sick of it all they are.
Maria Cardona

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Dec 2, 2010
I hope we will wake up to the fact that the Federal government is taking our state freedoms away, something that our founding fathers wanted to avoid by giving us a wise constitution, which gives the Feds little power compared to the powers of each individual state. We have allowed them to do this for a long time and now we have gotten used to thinking it is OK to disregard the constitution.
Lets stay local and not depend on big Uncle Sam.
I am a legal immigrant and know the difference.

“Freedom and Responsibility”

Since: Apr 10

Glenwood, CA

#10 Dec 2, 2010
"The agency's $35 million budget would wither by nearly half, says White"

What? So half the budget for the bus system is provided by outside agencies. This suggests that fares must account for much less than half the total budget. Why do we have such a transit system if fares cover so little of the budget?
just you wait

United States

#11 Dec 2, 2010
You will all be singing a different tune when all of the people who take the bus are in cars causing traffic jams.

In addition, how can the drivers be second highest paid in the nation when San Francisco and San Jose drivers both have a higher too pay? Get the facts before spouting off.
jaj

AOL

#12 Dec 2, 2010
"This is what everybody fears about the government," said county Supervisor John Leopold, who also sits on LAFCO. "That some bureaucrat in Washington, D.C., uses statistics to create a profile of what goes on here..."

Aha, a statist denouncing statism. Will we see anything new from you John?
Kelso the Wonder Horse

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Dec 2, 2010
just you wait wrote:
You will all be singing a different tune when all of the people who take the bus are in cars causing traffic jams.
In addition, how can the drivers be second highest paid in the nation when San Francisco and San Jose drivers both have a higher too pay? Get the facts before spouting off.
Bus drivers in any city should make no more than truck drivers - who usually average around $15-20 an hour. San Francisco and San Jose are both broke, and their payroll of overpaid union drivers is just one of the reasons. As far as the traffic, most of the people that I know who use the bus don't drive and/or don't own a car. When the drivers went on strike the last time those people were stranded because they depended on a government-provided service - which is always expensive and unreliable. I have no idea why the rest of us are being forced to subsidize the transportation of others. I'm not worried about the impact on traffic - I've never seen more than a handful of people on these giant behemoths that block the road and are driven without regard for the safety of other drivers (putting on your turn signal and swerving out into traffic may be okay with the mass-transit junkies who made that move legal, but its unsafe and unfair to the rest of us). Let's face it - like every other progressive idea the goal is to control people's freedoms, beginning with freedom to go where you want to when you want to. The bus service here costs too much and serves too few people. But it does provide a lot of union-slacker jobs.
Ex Liberal

Mound, MN

#14 Dec 2, 2010
Solution is really quite simple!

First ensure the county Board of Supercisors declares Santa Cruz County is a Sanctuary City, then send out fliers and place adds in all the Lame-Stream media outlets nationwide declaring same and explaining no IMMIGRATION laws will be enforced, and all the services are free to ILLEGAL immigrants and their families!
just you wait

United States

#15 Dec 2, 2010
Kelso the Wonder Horse wrote:
<quoted text>
Bus drivers in any city should make no more than truck drivers - who usually average around $15-20 an hour. San Francisco and San Jose are both broke, and their payroll of overpaid union drivers is just one of the reasons. As far as the traffic, most of the people that I know who use the bus don't drive and/or don't own a car. When the drivers went on strike the last time those people were stranded because they depended on a government-provided service - which is always expensive and unreliable. I have no idea why the rest of us are being forced to subsidize the transportation of others. I'm not worried about the impact on traffic - I've never seen more than a handful of people on these giant behemoths that block the road and are driven without regard for the safety of other drivers (putting on your turn signal and swerving out into traffic may be okay with the mass-transit junkies who made that move legal, but its unsafe and unfair to the rest of us). Let's face it - like every other progressive idea the goal is to control people's freedoms, beginning with freedom to go where you want to when you want to. The bus service here costs too much and serves too few people. But it does provide a lot of union-slacker jobs.
Bus drivers have a completely different job and different safety precautions than truck drivers. That aside, the wages of the bus drivers is not what is bankrupting the metro. The bus drivers are always the scapegoats because they are the faces that the public sees.
When people get stranded, like they were when the strike happened, they find other ways to get around. Do you really not remember the traffic problems from that month?

As for the yield to the his thing, its not a law. Its a suggestion that most people don't follow because they are too impatient to let a bus out. If you see a bus driving in an unsafe manner, report it, just like you would any other unsafe motorist.

One final question for you: why should bus drivers not make a living wage just because you don't think the service is worthwhile? Bus drivers pay taxes and work hard just like you do (assuming you are an employed citizen who pays taxes).
Silva

Barrigada, Guam

#16 Dec 2, 2010
The tri county area cannot support much of a bus service at the fair box. Why should the rest of the country subsidize such a system. Where is Micha who should be handing out bikes to bus riders.
Caelum Sinclair

Aptos, CA

#17 Dec 2, 2010
"The designations, according to the census proposal, are made chiefly for academic purposes: to "identify both individual urban areas and the rural areas of the nation." The Census Bureau acknowledges that other federal agencies use the designations to allocate money but claims no responsibility for this."

Government at its finest...
The Accountant

United States

#18 Dec 2, 2010
So will this increase Medicare payments to doctors? Urban vs rural?
Kelso the Wonder Horse

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Dec 2, 2010
just you wait wrote:
<quoted text>
Bus drivers have a completely different job and different safety precautions than truck drivers. That aside, the wages of the bus drivers is not what is bankrupting the metro. The bus drivers are always the scapegoats because they are the faces that the public sees.
When people get stranded, like they were when the strike happened, they find other ways to get around. Do you really not remember the traffic problems from that month?
As for the yield to the his thing, its not a law. Its a suggestion that most people don't follow because they are too impatient to let a bus out. If you see a bus driving in an unsafe manner, report it, just like you would any other unsafe motorist.
One final question for you: why should bus drivers not make a living wage just because you don't think the service is worthwhile? Bus drivers pay taxes and work hard just like you do (assuming you are an employed citizen who pays taxes).
Lots of people work hard and pay taxes - why should bus drivers make more than others for a service that's obviously not needed by most tax payers? As far as the complexity of operating a bus - its smaller than a semi, has an automatic transmission (no 10-14 speed gear boxes to shift), and operates at lower speeds. Bus drivers are never gone from their homes for days at a time, nor do they face the prospect of highway collisions that could be fatal. And best of all, no matter how badly they drive or how late they are on their schedules, they can't be fired because their unionized. People who want to earn a living wage need to pay attention in school and earn their way to that level. I am a citizen and I am employed (two jobs). I don't expect society to give me a living wage just because I'm here and breathing. If bus drivers want to make higher wages then they should start their own luxury bus service and charge more. Those of us with cars (you know - adults)don't need to subsidize transportation for others. We simply can't afford to carry the burden of people who want the same standard of living as a brain surgeon but slept through high school.
Creekan

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Dec 2, 2010
Ah, right, Wonder Horse, the driver of the 17 Express doesn't have any risk of crashing on a highway. Driving a busload of yapping people over the bridge at the Bracken Brae curve on Highway 236, where the vehicle is wider than the lane, is something I am sure you could train a monkey to do. I am sometimes amazed by the skill of Metro drivers -- I couldn't do what they do.

Here's a fun thought for the geniuses out there. Who rides the bus? Seniors, kids, disabled people, people who are going to work at a low-paying job, and then a few random Eco-types or those who'd rather read than drive. So if you take away the busses, the last group will just bike to work or skip work to go to a protest -- we hardly count. But what about seniors who cant drive anymore ... You begrudge granny a ride to church? What about kids who ride the Metro to school, like many at SLV High? You want to see them scraping up kids off 9 when they try to ride bikes to school during rush hour? What about those disabled folks? Are they already getting disability payments of some sort from the state anyway, or are they entitled to em? Well, fine, so we throw in the bus, too, so what? What would they do without the bus ... No longer be independent and able to get to work, and a burden? And those low-paid workers, who get by on minimum wage, if you take away their access to a ride to work, then we have unemployed people instead ... Oh yay, such an improvement.

Providing bus service so people who don't have a choice but to ride it allows them to get to the doctor, to buy food, to go to school, to get to work, to be contributing and independent citizens. A greater burden if their bus service was taken away. Heck, I hope most of ya aren't so ignorant as to believe that all those people you see riding along on the bus wouldn't rather be in their own cars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bad Cop Santa Cruz (Aug '13) 2 hr DBS 69
DBS/TMC was raised on welfare 2 hr DBS 4
DBS is a whimp AND a blimp (May '13) 3 hr John Colby 35
Letters, Oct. 22, 2014: Sherman is wrong for Sa... 3 hr John Colby 9
Fat Stalker DBS (Jun '13) 3 hr John Colby 163
After 'anarchist' remarks, police union leader'... 4 hr John Colby 14
On the 7th day of X-mas (DBS version) (Dec '13) 4 hr Donny B 23
Davenport Dating
Find my Match

Davenport Jobs