CHP: Baby who survived Davenport cras...

CHP: Baby who survived Davenport crash still at hospital

There are 42 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 24, 2010, titled CHP: Baby who survived Davenport crash still at hospital. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The baby seriously injured in a head-on collision that killed two, including his mother, was reunited with his father and remained at the hospital Saturday, the California Highway Patrol reported.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Thanks CHP

Capitola, CA

#1 Oct 24, 2010
Thank you for being honest about the suspicions instead of hiding them from us. Because of this, I'm voting no on the pothead stoner initiative.

We don't need Vinnie Spicoli coming to life. Besides, if it's legalized, teachers, doctors, judges, firefighters and cops will be getting baked too. Not good. We have enough problems (economy, jobs).
thanks phony

Martinez, CA

#2 Oct 24, 2010
thank you for making up some vague reason to spout your silly pot opinions, j...a.. Go get soused on your alcohol and pompous sense of self righteousness.
wow

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Oct 24, 2010
Thanks CHP wrote:
Thank you for being honest about the suspicions instead of hiding them from us. Because of this, I'm voting no on the pothead stoner initiative.
We don't need Vinnie Spicoli coming to life. Besides, if it's legalized, teachers, doctors, judges, firefighters and cops will be getting baked too. Not good. We have enough problems (economy, jobs).
At this point it is pure speculation on the part of CHP based on what they were able to get out of their interrogation of a fatally wounded man. The final report will provide more details, like say if there was mechanical failure on his jeep. Not that we the public will ever see it though (remember Bob's hauling from new years day). I have another piece of bad news for you. Teachers, doctors, judges, firefighters and yes even cops already get baked so noting would change if it was legal.
Forrest

Vancouver, WA

#5 Oct 24, 2010
A child will grow up without his mother. A husband lost his wife. I'm not taking a stand on legalizing pot, only to get blasted here on the forum, but I guess the man who caused the accident is better off dead, I'd hate to have to live with that burden. Smoking pot, or drinking alcohol, either way, you certainly are making a poor decision to drive when you are wasted. If you don't care about killing yourself, fine, but don't take innocent souls with you.
Sure Thing

Campbell, CA

#6 Oct 24, 2010
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point it is pure speculation on the part of CHP based on what they were able to get out of their interrogation of a fatally wounded man. The final report will provide more details, like say if there was mechanical failure on his jeep. Not that we the public will ever see it though (remember Bob's hauling from new years day). I have another piece of bad news for you. Teachers, doctors, judges, firefighters and yes even cops already get baked so noting would change if it was legal.
It really isn't so much speculation as an educated guess whether they smelled the odor or they got the man to admit he smoked a joint/bowl before his trip. As for who gets baked no one is going to argue that but Prop 19 allows people to get baked and have job security which won't fly with companies since they will immediately institute drug testing as a means to protect their liability. Same goes for alcohol you can and will be fired in some organizations for drinking even if it's at lunch. You will see some lawsuits especially from employers if 19 passes

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#7 Oct 24, 2010
Thanks CHP wrote:
What makes you think they aren't already getting high?
Do you really think people are going to rush out and start using if it becomes legal?
Is pot any more likely to impair a driver than, say, alcohol?

Santa Cruz

#8 Oct 24, 2010
Forrest wrote:
A child will grow up without his mother. A husband lost his wife. I'm not taking a stand on legalizing pot, only to get blasted here on the forum, but I guess the man who caused the accident is better off dead, I'd hate to have to live with that burden. Smoking pot, or drinking alcohol, either way, you certainly are making a poor decision to drive when you are wasted. If you don't care about killing yourself, fine, but don't take innocent souls with you.
I agree. Getting high on anything impairs one's judgement to the point that driving may seem like a good idea when it clearly isn't. We are all at risk for this type of accident every time we get on the road.

Santa Cruz

#9 Oct 24, 2010
Sure Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
It really isn't so much speculation as an educated guess whether they smelled the odor or they got the man to admit he smoked a joint/bowl before his trip. As for who gets baked no one is going to argue that but Prop 19 allows people to get baked and have job security which won't fly with companies since they will immediately institute drug testing as a means to protect their liability. Same goes for alcohol you can and will be fired in some organizations for drinking even if it's at lunch. You will see some lawsuits especially from employers if 19 passes
I don't think so. New tests will be developed to determine if one is under the influence while at work. Employers used to be a bit more lax about this in the past but due to increased risk of litigation have adopted a zero tolerance policy.
Sure Thing

Campbell, CA

#10 Oct 24, 2010
Carl Bendix wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think so. New tests will be developed to determine if one is under the influence while at work. Employers used to be a bit more lax about this in the past but due to increased risk of litigation have adopted a zero tolerance policy.
That is kind of what I said i.e employers won't care if Prop 19 gives you the right to smoke marijuana legally since they see the liability issues first not your right to do smoke. The resulting drug testing will get more people censored or fired for doing something on their own personal times since THC stays in your system for 3 weeks. Saying new tests will be developed is like saying fusion will solve all our energy problems, sure it will just not today. It's a fine line that is going to leave a lot of people in limbo.

Santa Cruz

#12 Oct 24, 2010
Sure Thing wrote:
<quoted text>
That is kind of what I said i.e employers won't care if Prop 19 gives you the right to smoke marijuana legally since they see the liability issues first not your right to do smoke. The resulting drug testing will get more people censored or fired for doing something on their own personal times since THC stays in your system for 3 weeks. Saying new tests will be developed is like saying fusion will solve all our energy problems, sure it will just not today. It's a fine line that is going to leave a lot of people in limbo.
What is the policy for medical marijuana users. Technically they are allowed to have THC in their system as long as they are not high.
Also, I find it a bit hypocritical for local law enforcement to be concerned about conflicting with federal law where pot is concerned, yet they have no problem ignoring, no opposing., federal immigration laws.
Masked Editor

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Oct 24, 2010
This story has a real flaw in it: the first paragraph says the baby was reunited with its father, then later goes on to say that Peterson was married to Wass. So...is Wass the baby's father? Or another? I am so tired of reading articles that would only get a passing grade in 10th grade journalism class. This is far too common these days.
Forrest

Vancouver, WA

#14 Oct 24, 2010
Many women do not take their husband's name.
Ex Liberal

United States

#15 Oct 24, 2010
Pot smokers unite!! Vote Yes on Prop 19!

Pot heads never hurt anyone! Roll me another one! Right Libs?
Lucas

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Oct 24, 2010
The CHP found drug evidence at the scene in the jeep. Anyone with a 4th grade reading level can gleem that from the article, both original and current. I hope the loser drug addict/jeep driver was man enough to own up to it before he died. Fact is the CHP has the evidence. Drugs were the fault of this accident.
This forum should not be used as a place for discussing drug use. Drug use is wrong, illegal and dangerous. It is not worth discussion. Clearly that should be evident from this accident.
Ex Liberal

United States

#17 Oct 24, 2010
Let's hire more pot smoking dead heads! They're, trustworthy, highly motivated with demonstrated excellent work ethics and excellent hand eye cordination to boot?

Any employer should consider him/herself lucky to employ a local pot head!
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Oct 24, 2010
drug testing for ALL drivers-screening tests to get n renew license
all jobs will require random hair n peetesting
the end of the pot xcene is at hand
the silver bullet will be mandatory testing for all drivers-workers-those getting aid-and all high school n college kids-using tax money to get educated.
nd of course immigrants will be drug tested as part of becoming legal residents!
Actually

Ben Lomond, CA

#19 Oct 24, 2010
Lucas wrote:
The CHP found drug evidence at the scene in the jeep. Anyone with a 4th grade reading level can gleem that from the article, both original and current. I hope the loser drug addict/jeep driver was man enough to own up to it before he died. Fact is the CHP has the evidence. Drugs were the fault of this accident.
This forum should not be used as a place for discussing drug use. Drug use is wrong, illegal and dangerous. It is not worth discussion. Clearly that should be evident from this accident.
4th graders know the difference between "fact" and suspicion. So until or unless the CHP can come forward with actual evidence, all we have for certain is the latter.

BTW, even a pre-schooler would find the following sentence amusing: "This forum should not be used as a place for discussing drug use. Drug use is wrong, illegal and dangerous."
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Oct 24, 2010
free speech-talk about dope all ya like!!

just don't pee positive-or you won't work for me-period!

and they should drug screen all driver license applicants -test for license-renewals and random testing-

and universal drug testing for all workers too.
Question

Ross, CA

#21 Oct 24, 2010
Lucas wrote:
Should your assumption be "evident from this accident", or merely gleemed?
GOPuke 2010-12

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Oct 24, 2010
did they do a tox test on the driver (hair testing etc) to see how much dope in the system?

make it a felony to drive high or drunk-and take the car and license for LIFE like some counteies do!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boy, 4, shoots babysitter for stepping on his foot (Jan '09) Tue donniejonestreet 4
News Bigfoot is not at all imaginary for many inland... (May '09) Mon Callme TRUMP 69
News Watsonville gang member sentenced to life for 2... (Mar '08) Jan 14 Big Time Homie14 21
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Jan 14 a-citizen 493
News New voice in Santa Cruz County for animal right... (Jan '09) Jan 13 Pat Kittle - Sant... 214
News Teen gets life sentence for Beach Hill fatal st... (Aug '10) Jul '16 helms 63
News County, Sierra Northern fail to see eye to eye ... (Sep '10) Jul '15 ANON 79

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages