Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash nea...

Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash near Davenport speaks

There are 220 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 27, 2010, titled Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash near Davenport speaks. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Bob Sibley spent a solemn day Wednesday clearing out the possessions from this brother's apartment on Shaffer Road on the Westside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Sad

Kettleman City, CA

#2 Oct 27, 2010
Steve was a kind and gentle person. He would never intentionally hurt anyone. This is a tragedy for so many people. We just never know when life will make a move that turns everything upside down. Condolences to all.
Mild Bill

Windsor, CA

#4 Oct 27, 2010
Sad wrote:
Steve was a kind and gentle person. He would never intentionally hurt anyone. This is a tragedy for so many people. We just never know when life will make a move that turns everything upside down. Condolences to all.
He could have avoided this by not smoking weed before getting behind the wheel. Weed can kill. Understand that and you won't loose people like this. He is no better than an alcoholic driving.
Sarah

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Oct 27, 2010
Nice fluff story, BUT the facts are Stephen:
1. drove a car knowing his steering was poor
2. drove knowing he had sleep apnea
3.(MAYBE) was driving while impaired on a drug

Sorry Bob, I'm sure your bother was a nice guy but he murdered a woman. A man lost his wife, a child lost his mother, a man and woman lost their daughter. He never should have driven knowing #1 and #2.
In The Know

San Mateo, CA

#6 Oct 27, 2010
Gee, what do you know, he actually was using weed prior to the accident. Guess it wasnt just a propaganda by CHP aimed at Prop 19. Oh, wait, the CHP must be making up quotes now to support thier case. Im sure one of the many posters who said he couldnt of been high or weed had nothing to do with this wreck will claim more conspiracy regardless of the mounting evidence being released that Sibley was high.
SCNative

San Rafael, CA

#7 Oct 27, 2010
A horrible tragedy all around. My deepest condolences to both families.
Asdf

Hayward, CA

#8 Oct 27, 2010
Condolences to all families involved. I just feel so horribly sorry for that baby boy and his father.
I hope the citizens and readers of this newspaper can be civilized enough to realize that this issue of marijuana pales in comparison to the loss of a baby boy's mother, and someone's brother and friend...
Time

Watsonville, CA

#9 Oct 27, 2010
Violence inspired by the harmless Hemp, now do you get it?

Get high at home and not on the highway. The grim reaper is blind.

RIP
Max

United States

#10 Oct 27, 2010
Mild Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
He could have avoided this by not smoking weed before getting behind the wheel. Weed can kill. Understand that and you won't loose people like this. He is no better than an alcoholic driving.
That is a very mean and hateful thing to say. Driving under the influence of alcohol is definitely more dangerous than under the influence of THC.

http://norml.org/index.cfm...

THC may actual improve driving skills.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sorry but--

San Francisco, CA

#11 Oct 27, 2010
It was irresponsible for this guy to get behind the wheel. He was impaired. He killed someone.
Please think before you drive. This is a too-often occurrance.
Joe

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Oct 27, 2010
Max wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very mean and hateful thing to say. Driving under the influence of alcohol is definitely more dangerous than under the influence of THC.
Do you think sleep apnea improves your driving skills also?
Smoke and Mirrors

Capitola, CA

#14 Oct 27, 2010
police wrote:
Officers also saw him "exhibiting objective signs of being under the influence," Jackson said, and related evidence was taken from the scene.
YEAH RIGHT! You're telling me that a cop can tell if someone is stoned after they just got on a head on collision bad enough to have killed them a short time later? Objective signs such as freaking out 'cause you just got in a deadly head-on collision? Give me a break.
this is horrible

Lakeport, CA

#16 Oct 27, 2010
judge unless yee be judged.... this is another horrific tragedy. 90% of the people driving between santa cruz and half moon bay on a regular basis are probably high on something....and thats been the case for a long long time. the problem is that regardless of how great of a guy he was.... or "he would never hurt a soul" stuff...... he killed a young mother and ruined the life of her husband and her child that will most likely have life-long issues from this accident. This was a horrific accident... and both sides of the spectrum will mourn. The "it will never happen to me" theory needs to be thrown out the window. my thoughts and prayers go out to EVERYONE involved in this horrible accident.
tired of liberals

San Francisco, CA

#17 Oct 27, 2010
A "Real Tear Jerker" Bottom line if he had all these "Problems" Or "More like excuses" for what he did why the hell was he "DRIVING!" if the car had steering issues and if he had Sleep problems etc.. why the hell was he "DRIVING!" Why dont you say something about that Sentinel ??
No Way

San Francisco, CA

#18 Oct 27, 2010
"tired of liberals" is correct. Why in the world was he driving? There is no excuse for this. NONE. Stupid idiot.
Typo

San Rafael, CA

#19 Oct 27, 2010
Driving a car with steering problems, a sleep-apnea driver, and smoking pot, is a CIVIL RIGHT! If accidents happen, I blame Bush.
john doe

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Oct 27, 2010
The CHP said Wednesday that Stephen Sibley told officers after the crash that he was on his way back from a WAMM site north of Santa Cruz. He was headed south back to Santa Cruz.

The crash happened about 1:15 p.m. a half-mile north of Laguna Road on Highway 1. His Jeep collided with a Honda Civic heading north. The driver of the Civic was later identified as Jaye Wass, a 29-year-old mother of a 10-month-old boy who was in the back of the car. The baby was injured but is recovering. They were vacationing in the area from Canada.

CHP officer Sarah Jackson said the officers statements on Sibley's impairment were clear.

"[Steve] made statements that he had used or consumed marijuana just prior to the collision," said CHP officer Sarah Jackson.

I told you so. It was obvious to me, that he'd scored some weed from Valerie's WAMM farm just up the road. Most buyers and sellers will smoke a fattie or a bowl after completing a deal. Idiots get into their cars and drive just too soon after the 420 celebration...
tired of liberals

San Francisco, CA

#21 Oct 27, 2010
Sarah wrote:
Nice fluff story, BUT the facts are Stephen:
1. drove a car knowing his steering was poor
2. drove knowing he had sleep apnea
3.(MAYBE) was driving while impaired on a drug
Sorry Bob, I'm sure your bother was a nice guy but he murdered a woman. A man lost his wife, a child lost his mother, a man and woman lost their daughter. He never should have driven knowing #1 and #2.
For those that voted Sarah "Clueless" Sorry You guys are clueless.. Sarah Amen for you speaking up and saying what is just "Common Sense!" Those who voted clueless are obviously to obscured by a glass bong between you and the keyboard..

Sorry Bob if I am not "Warm and fuzzy" about your brother.... He got what he deserved... I how ever feel "Warm and Fuzzy" for the poor little boy that is growing up without his mother as well as the father that has to raise his son without a loving mother.. From what this story has told us Stephen had no and I mean no business driving a car!
john doe

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Oct 27, 2010
Say no to Drugs wrote:
WAMM is nothing but a bunch of potheads. The crap does nothing but make you addicted and stupid and lazy.If you have to smoke it stay at home.
Weren't they just too wasted, to run a background check on a child molester, who babysat the kids during the 2009 WAMMfest? How much longer will the authorities ignore Valerie's racket, now that we have one of her friends getting stoned and killing somebody?
tired of liberals

San Francisco, CA

#23 Oct 27, 2010
What I like to know is why the sentinel is writing this warm and "Poor brother of the suspect" type of story for? Were is the sympathy for the poor little boy and the mother the "REAL VICTIMS" of this story? I really could give a rats ass on how many cords of wood this guy chopped down he should have had not had any business driving a car and from the story here it was not the first time he had done this...

Seriously sentinel when are you guys going to pull your heads out of your back end?? You wonder why you guys had money problems running the paper? No one is buying your bs anymore..
john doe

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Oct 27, 2010
Max wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a dillusional nutcase. Getting high on any drug does not improve your driving!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bait Bike bust YEAH!!!! 16 hr blatant localism 2
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Mar 23 Dakoter 2,656
Pre school that accepts children that are not v... Mar 22 Sabrina 1
News Grand jury indicts 13 alleged members of San Jo... (May '08) Mar 16 The Trump Lover 116
Is Santa Cruz officials on drug cartels payroll Mar 15 Liner 3
News RiversideUC Riverside is building a greenhouse ... Mar 11 Solarman 1
News Santa Cruz accuses ICE agents of 'betrayal' Mar 11 spytheweb 25

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages