County leaders, Sierra Northern say tourist train deal ready to go

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Regional Transportation Commission has called a rare special session today where county transportation leaders are expected to finalize an overdue plan for tourist trains on the North Coast.
Comments
41 - 55 of 55 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Charlie

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Accounting 101 wrote:
Ever thought about the ecological and environmental implications of roads?
Ever thought about the ecological and environmental implications of creating a restaurant that people will drive to and once in it will waste valuable energy by moving up and down the coast simply for the enjoyment of the people inside? It's a movable restaurant plain and simple. And there is nothing green about that.
Charlie

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Accounting 101 wrote:
And for the rest of those people you mentioned, they might actually love it because they will be able to walk out of their door and hop on.
LOL!! Now you're suggesting we'll have a commuter train that's going to stop at whim door to door?! Name any commuter rail system in existence where people can walk out their front door and hail down a train as if it were a cab.
Charlie

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Accounting 101 wrote:
So Folks,
How many of you are planning to be at the meeting this afternoon?
See you there?
There's a reason they have these meetings at 2:30 in the afternoon. So that people who work for a living can't make it.
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a reason they have these meetings at 2:30 in the afternoon. So that people who work for a living can't make it.
Yeah, that always cracks me up. Set up mid-day, mid-week meetings and then they exclaim, "Where are all the taxpayers who oppose this?"
Um,*working* maybe?? And, of course, if serious opposition DID show up, they'd claim that all the supporters were at work...
Monorailer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

What about dumping the Rail Trail to nowhere in favor of a Monorail that parallels Highway 1. All electric going to all the places people need to go. The hospitals, the college, to research park in Soquel, to Dominican. Stops at Emeline and Harvey West Park before skirting the Pogonip to the University. The footprint would be small. The cost less than widening Highway 1 and most importantly it goes where people need to go.
duh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Oct 14, 2010
 
Monorailer wrote:
What about dumping the Rail Trail to nowhere in favor of a Monorail that parallels Highway 1. All electric going to all the places people need to go. The hospitals, the college, to research park in Soquel, to Dominican. Stops at Emeline and Harvey West Park before skirting the Pogonip to the University. The footprint would be small. The cost less than widening Highway 1 and most importantly it goes where people need to go.
UHHH because we already have a railroad that parallels highway one?
hello!
duh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that always cracks me up. Set up mid-day, mid-week meetings and then they exclaim, "Where are all the taxpayers who oppose this?"
Um,*working* maybe?? And, of course, if serious opposition DID show up, they'd claim that all the supporters were at work...
I know youre all conspiracy theory... but actually its probably because the RTC people have jobs too. and they are doing them. you think theyd come to work on a weekend just for you?
would you take off work to express your feelings to them at the meetings? didnt think so.
duh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!! Now you're suggesting we'll have a commuter train that's going to stop at whim door to door?! Name any commuter rail system in existence where people can walk out their front door and hail down a train as if it were a cab.
\I dont think they were suggesting that at all. Surely there will be a stop in the seabright area though, which was after all what YOU said.
duh

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Charlie wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever thought about the ecological and environmental implications of creating a restaurant that people will drive to and once in it will waste valuable energy by moving up and down the coast simply for the enjoyment of the people inside? It's a movable restaurant plain and simple. And there is nothing green about that.
Thats not "green" but that wasnt what the poster was talking about. who cares about the dinner train.. were buying the possibility of having rail based mass transit in the future, dummy.
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

duh wrote:
<quoted text>
I know youre all conspiracy theory... but actually its probably because the RTC people have jobs too. and they are doing them. you think theyd come to work on a weekend just for you?
would you take off work to express your feelings to them at the meetings? didnt think so.
It has nothing to do with conspiracy, just efficacy. Not many working people can take off in the middle of the day. That's just how it is.
As for this project, you could have a thousand people parachute into the meeting, and RTC wouldn't even notice. It's their project. They want it. End of story.
duh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with conspiracy, just efficacy. Not many working people can take off in the middle of the day. That's just how it is.
As for this project, you could have a thousand people parachute into the meeting, and RTC wouldn't even notice. It's their project. They want it. End of story.
along with most of the people who live here. Actually, the major public comment meeting that happened at the county building several months ago (the time when you should have been there to speak your mind) was held at 7:30 PM specifically for that reason. so dont give us this line of crap about meetings being held when you couldnt go... you crybabies could have been there if you wanted to.
All In

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

A meeting at 2:30? Sorry, I've got to run two businesses, and a family with two elem. school age boys. But I'm sure you'll see a packed house full of U.C.S.C. students, trustafarians, and agenda 21 proponents.
Reality Check

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

duh wrote:
<quoted text>
along with most of the people who live here. Actually, the major public comment meeting that happened at the county building several months ago (the time when you should have been there to speak your mind) was held at 7:30 PM specifically for that reason. so dont give us this line of crap about meetings being held when you couldnt go... you crybabies could have been there if you wanted to.
Who's crying? Like I said, it's a done deal (if they can swing it) with or without input. It's public comment, just a fart in a breeze as they've made up their minds (which, in this case, happened a decade ago.)
Its Not A Done Deal Yet

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Oct 27, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Rail Purchase Deal Still Stalled Despite Agreement

Read it here:

http://www.mcpost.com/article.php...
Hank

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Oct 27, 2010
 
So basically if the dinner train, which is the only scheduled service as part of the contract, falls through or stops, the county is obligated to pay back the $10.2M.

I smell a financial trainwreck on the horizon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Davenport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Davenport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Davenport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Davenport
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••