Davenport Resource Service Center wel...

Davenport Resource Service Center welcomes new program director

There are 8 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 31, 2010, titled Davenport Resource Service Center welcomes new program director. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

New Davenport Resource Service Center program director Erika Hearon will be welcomed by the community during the center's annual Dia de los Muertos celebration on Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Betsy Binberg

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Oct 31, 2010
Hearon is an avid volunteer with Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action. COPA.
Bonny Doon

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Oct 31, 2010
Oh, that's priceless. The reporter doesn't even use the acronym C.O.P.A. anymore.
Non Profit Pig Trough

Capitola, CA

#6 Oct 31, 2010
Derek Howe wrote:
They recruit illegal aliens to justify their funding which they say is necessary because illegal aliens are not capable of supporting themselves.
Latinos should be appalled at this blatant predatory behavior by Santa Cruz nonprofits.
Surely this is a violation of federal law for aiding and abetting illegals. When this lawless bunch in Washington are finally gone, the people that were doing this out in the open should be afraid. Enforce the laws. Secure the border.
Sure Thing

Campbell, CA

#7 Oct 31, 2010
Millions of Americans out of work but always more public money for illegal aliens. Nice.....
just saying

Walnut Creek, CA

#8 Oct 31, 2010
Where does the money come from to pay for Spanish classes? I can see money being put into English classes. The rest of the "resource" concept I suspect helps illegals find ways to use our system and does not support assimilation for those that are here legally. In Mexico do they have programs that teach Mexican kids English and teach them about American holidays. This freaking irritates me.
Derek Howe

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Oct 31, 2010
just saying wrote:
Where does the money come from to pay for Spanish classes? I can see money being put into English classes. The rest of the "resource" concept I suspect helps illegals find ways to use our system and does not support assimilation for those that are here legally. In Mexico do they have programs that teach Mexican kids English and teach them about American holidays. This freaking irritates me.
The "resource" centers are just a political and financial prop. Supervisors make sure the directors and staff of these nonprofits are paid handsomely. In return, they campaign for the supervisor and his/her pet public program. There is insane duplication. Umbrella organizations receive funding for being umbrella organizations over other umbrella organizations which are already funded by the county/city. Tripe and quadruple dipping.

It is one very clear reason why we are in the current financial mess. Any candidate or elected official who aides and abets this scam should be brought up on charges and tossed out of office, not necessarily in that order.
Richard Lewis

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Nov 1, 2010
Welcome to the task ahead, not like these comments. But face to face common ground for those anti imigrant's and other's who know that the solution in the USA must be "bottom up". Is it a possibility to create strategies for all youth and their families? Finding that common ground the task ahead. Perhaps in "Waiting for Superman" and
that next local step to continue the conversation.
Go C.O.P.A! Over the year's it's not this resource center but the parent: CAB, the Community Action Board and it's volunteer board. A small core staff that has that mission to solve local social justice issue's of poverty. In Davenport now has now a center director with tie's to COPA, The Live Oak Resource Center and even worked with the AID's project. Hope she stands on the work of the former Director who was at one time the Director of the Beach Flats Community Center. Seems that the story brings out that "hate" for reality of today. Understood but not part of the solution. That solution however will take particpation in person of even those who so have shared their comments to date. By the way my experience is that
Mexican youth are learning English, and by many who
have "center" to serve the community like the Davenport hub with ESL one of many outreach programs. For example in Jalisco, The Lake Chapal
Society and it's regional education center. Must be some reason for the demand. So let's be neighbors, let's be friends. But thanks for the article and information.
Juan Taco

Capitola, CA

#12 Jan 9, 2011
I will save Davenport me Super Juan Taco,lets see where is my cape.I am the new super hero.Keep Santa Cruz weird say yes prop 19

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heroin Highway - Map of heroin traffic in Santa... (May '10) 15 hr incompetence 49
AA a cult (Aug '10) Thu Wrong 25
How does this work? May 23 misbehaved 3
Huge tourism "stop" in Big Sur-loss of revenue ... May 23 giant problem 1
News PVUSD may ask county for $30M loan (Apr '08) May 17 Daddy 2 5
News Cops and Courts: March 31, 2009 (Mar '09) May 5 George Martin 32
News Teen gets life sentence for Beach Hill fatal st... (Aug '10) Jul '16 helms 63

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages