Holy Cross Food Bank seeks donations ...

Holy Cross Food Bank seeks donations for the holidays

There are 6 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 27, 2010, titled Holy Cross Food Bank seeks donations for the holidays. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

While the feasting of Thanksgiving is still a recent memory, some Santa Cruz residents are thinking about the importance of having food year round.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Hear Me

Daly City, CA

#1 Nov 27, 2010
Readers: I am having breakfast at Rosie McCann's in downtown Santa Cruz. It only does breakfast Sat-Sun. I do this often.

Alas, someone here got the idea that they would have some sort of gluttony feature (they don't call it that). The concept is that if one person can eat an enormous amount of breakfast in a limited time, it is free. Bah.

Hopefully nobody will take them up on it. I already mentioned that I disapprove of such gluttony, especially when it is supposed to be an attention-getter. Do they really need attention from gluttons?

So, after this, I won't be eating at Rosie's until that gluttony feature is discontinued. I told my server that if they really want to get some publicity, they should offer HALF portions at regular price, with a donation to charity (wouldn't be half the price, but it would be something, based on food savings, since labor is the same).

May I encourage other readers to do the same? I doubt if the owner if this "Irish Pub" is actually of Irish (Catholic) ancestry, but just in case that's so, I mentioned it here. Maybe the Mexican chefs here can be persuaded to protest. They are good cooks, and not easily replaced.
but I like my flag

San Jose, CA

#2 Nov 27, 2010
Hear Me wrote:
Readers: I am having breakfast at Rosie McCann's in downtown Santa Cruz. It only does breakfast Sat-Sun. I do this often.
Alas, someone here got the idea that they would have some sort of gluttony feature (they don't call it that). The concept is that if one person can eat an enormous amount of breakfast in a limited time, it is free. Bah.
Hopefully nobody will take them up on it. I already mentioned that I disapprove of such gluttony, especially when it is supposed to be an attention-getter. Do they really need attention from gluttons?
So, after this, I won't be eating at Rosie's until that gluttony feature is discontinued. I told my server that if they really want to get some publicity, they should offer HALF portions at regular price, with a donation to charity (wouldn't be half the price, but it would be something, based on food savings, since labor is the same).
May I encourage other readers to do the same? I doubt if the owner if this "Irish Pub" is actually of Irish (Catholic) ancestry, but just in case that's so, I mentioned it here. Maybe the Mexican chefs here can be persuaded to protest. They are good cooks, and not easily replaced.
Get real and stop dictating personal preferences in other peoples lives.

What I can't stand is how certain other restaurants whould CHARGE MORE under a "breakfast special" if the customer opts for hashbrowns rather than pork.

Either way, off the point. Liberals like you would interfere in this forum about feeding the hungry rather than help.

Lay off eating the rabbits, Liberal. It's worse than heroine.
Hear Me

Daly City, CA

#3 Nov 27, 2010
but I like my flag wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real and stop dictating personal preferences in other peoples lives.
What I can't stand is how certain other restaurants whould CHARGE MORE under a "breakfast special" if the customer opts for hashbrowns rather than pork.
Either way, off the point. Liberals like you would interfere in this forum about feeding the hungry rather than help.
Lay off eating the rabbits, Liberal. It's worse than heroine.
Whoa! hear me again:

1. People who know me call me a "conservative, right-winger."

2. I subscribe to National Review.

3. I voted for George W. Bush (but I regret it). I would not vote for Obama, Pelosi, Boxer, or Jerry Brown if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me a lot.

4. Precisely how am I dictating anything to anybody? I am a regular customer at Rosie's. They know me by name. I will not be having breakfast again there, until they discontinue the gluttony. That's MY personal choice. I am not blocking the door. Who the hell are you to tell me otherwise? But not everyone knows of this; it's new. If it is advertised, it is not in publications I read, probably because such publications are geared to freaking leftist students.

5. Dude, feeding the hungry is a conservative principle, if you are a social conservative rather than a warmonger. That doesn't mean catering to bums and panhandlers. It doesn't mean supporting the illegal lifestyle. It means feeding the hungry.

6. Besides, if any place decided to offer half-food at full price, with a food donation, it would still be MY choice to do it or not. Nobody is telling YOU what to do.
Sigh

Alviso, CA

#4 Nov 27, 2010
Hear Me wrote:
Readers: I am having breakfast at Rosie McCann's in downtown Santa Cruz. It only does breakfast Sat-Sun. I do this often.
Alas, someone here got the idea that they would have some sort of gluttony feature (they don't call it that). The concept is that if one person can eat an enormous amount of breakfast in a limited time, it is free. Bah.
Hopefully nobody will take them up on it. I already mentioned that I disapprove of such gluttony, especially when it is supposed to be an attention-getter. Do they really need attention from gluttons?
So, after this, I won't be eating at Rosie's until that gluttony feature is discontinued. I told my server that if they really want to get some publicity, they should offer HALF portions at regular price, with a donation to charity (wouldn't be half the price, but it would be something, based on food savings, since labor is the same).
May I encourage other readers to do the same? I doubt if the owner if this "Irish Pub" is actually of Irish (Catholic) ancestry, but just in case that's so, I mentioned it here. Maybe the Mexican chefs here can be persuaded to protest. They are good cooks, and not easily replaced.
I agree with you in principle, but you sure sound like a self-righteous pain in the arse.
Hear Me

Belmont, CA

#5 Nov 27, 2010
Sigh wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you in principle, but you sure sound like a self-righteous pain in the arse.
Perhaps. On the other hand, envision this: You go to a place for a nice quiet breakfast one weekend morning. In come some gluttons who wish to demonstrate their prowess by chowing down huge quantities of food in short order. Is that how you care to enjoy your meal? Wouldn't you be happier at one of those bars where the patrons stagger out and die?(We have them, in Santa Cruz. Just read the Sentinel regularly.)
what about food donations

Palo Alto, CA

#6 Nov 28, 2010
This article asks for money and toys,- what about food? Isn't it better to be given food, than buy it from another non-profit?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three sea otters that washed up on California's... Sep 22 Horrified 4
News Teen gets life sentence for Beach Hill fatal st... (Aug '10) Jul '16 helms 63
News County, Sierra Northern fail to see eye to eye ... (Sep '10) Jul '15 ANON 79
News Cops and Courts: Jan. 9, 2015: Salinas man hit ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 John Stigmata cousin 4
News Photo leads to identity theft arrest in Santa Cruz (May '14) May '14 Jeffryhelms 8
News Officials detail plans for Cemex Redwoods (Nov '13) Nov '13 jiggy wiggy 2
find a man in your town tonight free! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Alex Kanode 1

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages