Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash nea...

Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash near Davenport says Stephen Sibley had numerous health issues

There are 36 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 28, 2010, titled Brother of driver in Hwy. 1 crash near Davenport says Stephen Sibley had numerous health issues. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Bob Sibley spent a solemn day Wednesday clearing out the possessions from his brother's apartment on Shaffer Road on the Westside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bob

Santa Cruz, CA

#23 Oct 28, 2010
sweetcakes wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew Steven Sibley for years since I met him in the seventies in Capitola. He was a very nice man who was an artist. He had a clear head and was not fogged in. There was no reason to pull his license. It was a tragic accident.
Don't start talking bad about his family and what they should have done.
You never should talk bad about the dead.
WOW....IM SURE YOU TOO ARE AN ARTIST, RIGHT?! WHAT AN AWESOME EXCUSE TO STAND UP FOR THIS (HORRIBLE) PERSON. SO IF I TEXT AND DRIVE, AND KILL AN INNOCENT PERSON, I TOO SHALL BE EXCUSED, RIGHT?! YOU KNOW, BECAUSE IM AN OUTSTANDING PERSON AND CITIZEN!! IT WOULD DEF NOT HAVE BEEN MY INTENTION TO KILL... SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!
WOW...!!!! WHATEVER HELPS YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT! POOR WIDOWED HUSBAND. POOR CHILD. NOT POOR HIGH, SELFISH POS SOB!! SELFISH, SELFISH SELFISH!!!!!! THATS ALL I CAN SAY. ONE LESS OF THOSE IN THIS WORLD.
sweeter than honey

United States

#24 Oct 28, 2010
Gran Torino wrote:
What did I tell ya folks >> Sleep Apnea..My observation was not a shot in the dark.I don't know this person but I have sure known others with it and the mayhem it can cause. I'm sure the weed did not help the situation.. It will help a person with sleep apnea to sleep so he should not have been driving period !!But all aspects of his impairment must be considered to pin point the cause of this terrible accident. I also think the CHP officer is full of it saying the driver had the objective signs of DUI from THC. No doubt the driver had all the objective signs of being fatally injured in a head on collision and was dying !! Gees !! Prayer to the victims families.
Exactly. Thank you for a fair comment.
The accident is tragic for both families.
Toxicology tests could show marijuana in the blood, however marijuana stays in the blood for 2-3 days after smoking it so even if his blood might show marijuana, it might have been from several days prior. It was careless of the CHP to make these statements without doing a full investigation of his car mechanics, and his total physical condition. And after that, one shouldn't speak ill of the deceased. Steve lived a decent life. He never was in trouble and always helped others. He had a joy of life even though he was in pain for most of it.

You can sling the s--- to me for supporting my friend. I always stand up for my friends.
Remember it could happen to your family also.
stan

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Oct 28, 2010
sweeter than honey wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no toxicology reports stating he was high. I don't believe the statement quoted by a cop from a mortally injured person that the decedent appeared high.
He was mortally injured. He was dying.
I've known him for 35 years, driven with him many times and never saw him smoke prior to driving. Ever!
By the way, thanks for the compliment. You don't know me and your pathetic comments will come back to you.
im sure you couldnt smell that he reaked of weed because you are prob too high yourself!! you know what they say, you cant smell your own BO. so please, you were not there at the accident either, so maybe you shouldnt speak either.

you dont always know what your family or friends are doing at all times, so maybe he was high!!! im sure most kids do drugs without their parents noticing and im sure their parents think their kids are angels!! but honestly speaking, if you walk like a duck, quack like a duck, youre a duck! not an innocent good-hearted fellow!!

and maybe they didnt do lab reports because they honestly dont care about the pos!!
PATTY

Santa Cruz, CA

#26 Oct 28, 2010
sweeter than honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Thank you for a fair comment.
The accident is tragic for both families.
Toxicology tests could show marijuana in the blood, however marijuana stays in the blood for 2-3 days after smoking it so even if his blood might show marijuana, it might have been from several days prior. It was careless of the CHP to make these statements without doing a full investigation of his car mechanics, and his total physical condition. And after that, one shouldn't speak ill of the deceased. Steve lived a decent life. He never was in trouble and always helped others. He had a joy of life even though he was in pain for most of it.
You can sling the s--- to me for supporting my friend. I always stand up for my friends.
Remember it could happen to your family also.
im sure chp would not have stated it, unless it was totally obvious. which in this case, im sure was obvious that he reaked of weed. weed does not stay so strongly on your clothes for 2-3 days. and yes, i would always and forever stand up for my family, but if i know they were in the wrong, i would just keep my mouth shut and let others speak. your getting kinda defensive at this point... for no reason. car was too damage to assess any sort of malfunction, did you see the pictures and watch the news? were you on scene, are you CHP, are you a doctor, a medic, a by-stander, were you someone that was actually there to prove his innocence?? no.... so please, dont defend some one when theres no point. whats done is done and now a child has to grow up never getting to really know his mother. and all thanks to your GREAT friend. im glad hes not a part of my family and that this tragic accident didnt happen to my loved ones. youre payback will be coming too....
Investigator

San Jose, CA

#27 Oct 28, 2010
I guess now we know why they call it "WAMM".
Wow

Ben Lomond, CA

#28 Oct 28, 2010
Yes on 19.

Sibley likely had a medical mj permit. In any case, pot is easy to obtain. Think of it as decriminalizing pot. It will still be illegal to drive on it and for kids under 18, just like now.

Relieve society, cops and prisons of this failed drug war collateral damage. Yes on 19.
Up the rebs

United States

#29 Oct 28, 2010
PATTY wrote:
<quoted text>
im sure chp would not have stated it, unless it was totally obvious. which in this case, im sure was obvious that he reaked of weed. weed does not stay so strongly on your clothes for 2-3 days. and yes, i would always and forever stand up for my family, but if i know they were in the wrong, i would just keep my mouth shut and let others speak. your getting kinda defensive at this point... for no reason. car was too damage to assess any sort of malfunction, did you see the pictures and watch the news? were you on scene, are you CHP, are you a doctor, a medic, a by-stander, were you someone that was actually there to prove his innocence?? no.... so please, dont defend some one when theres no point. whats done is done and now a child has to grow up never getting to really know his mother. and all thanks to your GREAT friend. im glad hes not a part of my family and that this tragic accident didnt happen to my loved ones. youre payback will be coming too....
yada, yada, yada.

You yak like a duck. Use your wallet to help the poor families, not your mouth.
Gods messenger

United States

#30 Oct 28, 2010
stan wrote:
<quoted text>
im sure you couldnt smell that he reaked of weed because you are prob too high yourself!! you know what they say, you cant smell your own BO. so please, you were not there at the accident either, so maybe you shouldnt speak either.
you dont always know what your family or friends are doing at all times, so maybe he was high!!! im sure most kids do drugs without their parents noticing and im sure their parents think their kids are angels!! but honestly speaking, if you walk like a duck, quack like a duck, youre a duck! not an innocent good-hearted fellow!!
and maybe they didnt do lab reports because they honestly dont care about the ****!!
Yeah right, I reak of pot all the time.
Get a life. I would suggest that you go back to school or use word spell because you
are an uneducated bore. I guess if one of your precious family members got in an accident that took someones life you would throw them under the train. It shows what quality of person you are.

God loves all his children. Praise be!!
Anne Kore-Babie

San Francisco, CA

#32 Oct 28, 2010
TRUE
Highway One has become far more dangerous...crowded with anxious yuppie commuters and freeway flying students rushing about in judgement of real people. Steve was as close to a saint as I have met. When you've lived a little, you'll know. Until then, you'll blow smoke and urinate into the wind.
Mike wrote:
This article shows little concern for a 10 month old baby who will grow up without a mother. Where's the empathy and compassion for the husband who has to raise a child without his partner. Can you image how devastated the husband is now attending to his critical child, planning a funeral, and dealing with tremendous grief all because this selfish 63-year-old man decide to drive intoxicated. Sleep apnea is a breathing sleeping disorder, it is not narcolepsy which cause you to fall asleep unwillingly. If he had so many health issues and a broken steering system what the hell was he doing driving a car? He was just another selfish drug user who is now a murder. Dave wrote that "you should never talk bad about the dead." But we really need to discuss drug use, driving, and murder.
I drive highway 1 in the morning once a week to SF for my PhD program. I always count around forty homeless vehicles on the side of the road with numerous people sleeping inside. In the late after noon on the way back to Santa Cruz I always see these same people smoking marijuana and consuming beers in various parking lots I have stopped to check out the surf at. I can only image by evening that Highway 1 is filled with intoxicated drivers. Also Highway 1 has become very dangerous in the last 15 years due to overcrowding.
sweeter than honey

United States

#33 Oct 28, 2010
Anne Kore-Babie wrote:
TRUE
Highway One has become far more dangerous...crowded with anxious yuppie commuters and freeway flying students rushing about in judgement of real people. Steve was as close to a saint as I have met. When you've lived a little, you'll know. Until then, you'll blow smoke and urinate into the wind.
<quoted text>
Did you know Steve in the 70's in Capitola?
I have some wonderful photos of him at my wedding.
He had recently sent me an email asking to get together for coffee.
Another reason to cut

Hayward, CA

#34 Oct 28, 2010
FF, cop, and CHP pay. These dopes are judge, jury, and God all in one in their opinion. Nothing is good enough for them. No one is as good as them. Never will they arrest or prosecute their own when they commit the same offenses they arrest others for.
Anne Kore-Babie

San Francisco, CA

#35 Oct 28, 2010
Yes.
sweeter than honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know Steve in the 70's in Capitola?
I have some wonderful photos of him at my wedding.
He had recently sent me an email asking to get together for coffee.
Save tears for the victim

Pleasanton, CA

#36 Oct 28, 2010
This effing pothead murdered the mother of an infant by selfishly driving stoned, as he himself told the CHP. That his car's steering was faulty and he suffered from bad health only makes him more selfish to get behind the wheel. And his brother, just another Boulder Creek under-employed bleeding heart, should shut up and get back to thriving business chopping wood behind the school. You feel bad for the dead woman's family bro? Then denounce your brother's selfish actions and advocate for all pot-heads to take the bus. But, wait, I bet you have a medical marijuana card in your pocket right now and are driving through Downtown Boulder Creek at this very moment stoned and singing "Freebird."
orion

Cohoes, NY

#37 Nov 30, 2010
well now, steve was a real good guy huh? actually he was my stepfather. yes im his step son and my sister is his daughter. h has not seen either of us since we were very small. my last recolection of my stepfateher was the night he left us. he beat my mother up then kicked me in the stomach. but its ok because now hes just a dead burnt out hippie who never hurt anyone. well i feel so horrible for that women he murdered and family he destroyed. see you later pops i hope ur burnin in hell.
yours truly
your son
Juan Taco

Capitola, CA

#38 Jan 9, 2011
This is what Santa Cruz wants, lots of deaths and keeping it weird.
Honey Bee

Grass Valley, CA

#40 Apr 5, 2011
sweeter than honey wrote:
There are no toxicology reports stating he was high. I don't believe the statement quoted by a cop from a mortally injured person that the decedent appeared high.
He was mortally injured. He was dying.
I've known him for 35 years, driven with him many times and never saw him smoke prior to driving. Ever!
By the way, thanks for the compliment. You don't know me and your pathetic comments will come back to you.
Looks like your comment is coming back to you. The toxicology report is in and he was high. He did light up prior to driving, most likely while at WAMM. He had marijuana in his system.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evicted from Mission Gardens AGAIN 30 min Buzz 1
Hey Tom C and Julia F 23 hr EVICTED AGAIN 4
djt Fri MAGA 1
News Teen gets life sentence for Beach Hill fatal st... (Aug '10) Jul '16 helms 63
News County, Sierra Northern fail to see eye to eye ... (Sep '10) Jul '15 ANON 79
News Cops and Courts: Jan. 9, 2015: Salinas man hit ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 John Stigmata cousin 4
News Photo leads to identity theft arrest in Santa Cruz (May '14) May '14 Jeffryhelms 8

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages