the worst traffic accident in davenp...

the worst traffic accident in davenport history

Posted in the Davenport Forum

Ivano Franco Comelli

Culberson, NC

#1 Aug 2, 2007
AUGUST 1, 2007, IS THE 60TH ANNIVERSERY OF THE TRAGIC DELUCCA ACCIDENT WHICH ACCURRED JUST NORTH OF DAVENPORT AT HWY 1 AND SWANTON ROAD. A PHOTO SENT TO ME BY JIM SILVA, A RELATIVE AND CLOSE FRIEND OF THE DELUCCAS SHOWS AMERIGO DELUCCA (36), WIFE MATILDA (BROVIA) DELUCCA(30),DAUGHTER MARIE(12),SON ANTONY (9),DAUGHTER DOLORES (10),AND DAUGHTER MADONNA (DONNA) DELUCCA (4) STANDING IN FRONT OF THEIR RECENTLY PURCHASED AUTOMOBILE, A BLACK 1941 BUICK. MR. AND MRS. MANUAL QUANDROS (NOT PHOTOGRAPHED)ALSO WERE PASSENGERS IN THE VEHICLE AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT. FIVE PERSONS WERE KILLED INCLUDING TWO OF THE CHILDREN. PHOTO AND ARTICLE BY THE AUTHOR OF "LA NOSTRA COSTA (OUR COAST), IVANO FRANCO COMELLI APPEAR ON THE LNOSTRA-COSTA BLOG: WWW.NOSTRA-COSTA.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ivano Franco Comelli

Culberson, NC

#2 Aug 7, 2007
Re: The Worst Accident in Davenport History:
The below e-mail was sent to me by Hank Bradley who was 7 years old at the time of the accident. Hank lived on a ranch just north of the Santa Cruz-San Mateo County Line.

I remember the incident very well. I didn't see the wreckage, but the marks on the pavement were pointed out for months afterward, and we all drew a breath of anxiety just thinking of the disaster. I personally did not know any of the firefighters or the folks in the DeLucca car, but my family and all of our neighbors did. Your account and photos on the Blagga brought it back in far clearer detail than I ever knew before.

Then, the very next year brought the forest fire that involved all the folks up and down the coast. That fire, and the DeLucca wreck, were a sobering introduction to the real world for this kid. Hank Bradley

For more comments regarding the "Accident" please vist the "La Nostra-Costa Blog:
www.nostra-costa.blogspot.com
Ivano Franco Comelli

Culberson, NC

#3 Aug 10, 2007
SADLY, JIM SILVA HAS JUST INFORMED ME OF THE PASSING OF HIS MOTHER; DIVA (ROCCHI) SILVA. HER DEATH OCCURRED ON AUGUST 1, 2007, THE 60th ANNIVERSARY OF HER BROTHER AMERIGO'S DEATH IN THE TERRIBLE ACCIDENT DESCRIBED ABOVE. BELOW IS HER REMEMBRANCE AS IT APPEARED IN THE CONTRA COSTA TIMES.(Mrs. Silva was Amerigo DeLucca's half-sister):

Diva Gloria Silva
Diva Gloria Silva Aug. 23, 1917 - Aug. 1, 2007 Resident of Rodeo Diva was born to Italian immigrant parents Pietro and Maria Rocchi in Bonny Doon, California and was a 66-year resident of Rodeo. Diva retired from Brookside Hospital, San Pablo, California and enjoyed many years of retirement. During her retirement she traveled extensively to many countries in Europe, and also visited Australia and New Zealand. She enjoyed trips to Reno and her weekly bingo games with her many friends. She was preceded in death by her husband, Frank Silva; and daughter, Diane Bessolo. Diva is survived by sons, Jimmie J. Silva, Rodeo, Frank Silva and daughter-in-law Sheri, Hercules. She also leaves grandchildren, Rick and Paul Silva, Martinez, Matthew and Lesley Silva, Hercules, John, Darrin and Jimmy Bessolo, Rodeo; eleven great-grandchildren and son-in-law, John Bessolo, of Rodeo. Diva will be remembered for her kindness, love of family, friends, giving nature and zest for life. She touched many during her long life and will be fondly remembered and greatly missed by all who knew her. Private graveside services will be held in Santa Cruz, California. Donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON "LA NOSTRA COSTA", PLEASE VIST THE LA NOSTRA COSTA WEBSITE:
www.lanostracosta.com-a.googlepages.com
Ivano Franco Comelli

Culberson, NC

#4 Aug 12, 2007
Norma (Dinelli)Wilson comments on lnostra-costa blog
........the memorial and photo of the DeLuca family was very touching.
So appropriate that we remember this sad event of 60 years ago today. It affected so many of us..

Anyway today we share in remembering the sad event. The photo was so special. I remember them like it was yesterday. It took me a long time to have any closure to that night. For many years I trembled when I saw an ambulance or heard a siren.*

Thanks again for writing your book and getting all this nostalgia going again and so many people connecting up again. Norma

*Norma was seven years old at the time of the accident. For full story and photo, go to the La Nostra Costa Blog: www.nostra-costa.blogspot.com
Ivano Franco Comelli

Culberson, NC

#5 Aug 15, 2007
Marvin Del Chiaro and his family lived for many years on the North Coast of Santa Cruz. He left the following comments on the lnostra-costa blog regarding the Delucca Accident.

marvin del chiaro said...
Like you, Ivano, I keep living that accident over and over again in my mind,just like it happened yesterday, and I wonder WHY too! Why? Just a minute one way or the other, and no one would have ever remembered that day or that
fire call, or any of the rest. Instead, it's burned permanently in our minds, and we won't get over it until the day we finally die too.

Your friend, Marv

Marv has also written a short bio on his family life in Davenport and "La Costa" during the 1940's and 50's. It appears on the lnostra-costa blog under the caption:HAPPY BIRTHDAY FIGLIO DELLA COSTA - MARVIN DEL CHIARO. www.nostra-costa.blogspot.com

"
John Pianavilla

Scotts Valley, CA

#6 Feb 9, 2012
Was my grandmother Margaret Pianavilla Matilda's sister? Was Joe Brovia her brother?
Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why does Robert Kahnjob exploit FAT deranged PIGS (Jun '15) 1 hr My favorite gun moll 59
FAT Pat has replaced FAT BJ. 1 hr My favorite gun moll 20
Kahnjob loses in Court AGAIN 1 hr My favorite gun moll 7
News PVUSD ranks 15 among state's 97 districts that ... (Feb '08) 3 hr Daniel Gonzalez 17
Occupy 2 summoned 6 hr WooF 12
Did FAT Pat get evicted yet? 9 hr Woof 3
Another Bumfest failure. (Sep '15) 9 hr WooF 126
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages