As We See It: School elections deserve voter scrutiny

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Nov. 2 election ballot in Santa Cruz County will ask voters to make a number of choices on candidates for local school boards.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Facts Not Platitudes

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

Ask questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you actually talked to the candidate? The first thing he'll tell you about Waiting for Superman is that there are no silver bullets; that teachers, parents, students, administrators, elected officials and community members have to work hard to make sure our schools are strong.
Who wouldn't agree that all of the components you list are necessary ingredients to better education, but without specifics, they are platitudes. Martinez has said he is in favor of TENURE and that there are already procedures in place to get rid of problem teachers. That's a fact (and a specific stance) that I don't agree with. He is organ of the teacher's union. If you don't support the unions, I don't see how you could vote for a union leader. It doesn't compute.
one wonders why Hinde does not support his neighborhood school and places them outside his district.
Hinde takes his kids to the public school district where he and his wife work. I do the same. It's not unreasonable (or am I missing something?)
Facts Not Platitudes

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

Ask questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you actually talked to the candidate? I have. I am in no way a fan of unions. I found Mr. Martinez to be a thoughtful person, an educator first. He is student-first, NOT union-first. He believes teachers should be treated like and behave as professionals. The first thing he'll tell you about Waiting for Superman is that there are no silver bullets; that teachers, parents, students, administrators, elected officials and community members have to work hard to make sure our schools are strong.
Who wouldn't agree that all of the components you list are necessary ingredients to better education, but without specifics, they are platitudes. Martinez has said he is in favor of TENURE and that there are already procedures in place to get rid of problem teachers. That's a fact (and a specific stance) that I don't agree with. He is organ of the teacher's union. If you don't support the unions, I don't see how you could vote for a union leader. It doesn't compute.
Endorsements

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

All 6 members of the board endorsed HINDE. Three of them happen to co-endorse Martinez. That too is a fact.
agenda

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

A question... Are Hinde's views on evolution as waffle-y as those of the presidential candidate he endorsed two years ago, Ron Paul? I believe Paul's quote on the matter was "It's a theory... I don't accept it."

I'd also be interested to know Locatelli's stand. Evolution denial has become an almost standard position for all except the most moderate Republicans, and I care a lot whether it's the position of elected officials overseeing my child's education.
Moneta

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2010

Judged:

Facts Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
Hinde was interviewed by both the Sentinel and Press-Banner, and both editorials have endorsed him. He was also elected president of the Board by his peers. I'd say that offers ample evidence that he is not "clueless" as you state. More facts and less smear would be nice, but when the evidence doesn't support your claims, what are you left with, eh?
Glad he's picked up a few clues during his term, but his dirty tactics still rankle with a lot of people. Martinez has also picked up plenty of endorsements, and it certainly would be nice to have at least one person on that board who has seen the inside of a classroom.
Fact check

Windsor, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

signs wrote:
Maybe it's no coincidence that Martinez's signs are blue -- but it's no coincidence that Hinde's signs are red.
Hinde has received $4500 from a Republican PAC. Martinez has not received any contributions over $1000.
The victory PAC is a concerned local citizens group who's primary focus is responsible taxation. Martinez has stated publicly he is in favor of a county-wide parcel tax, even though the county office has a balanced budget. He is not in favor of a senior exemption for seniors on fixed incomes. It's a pretty simple choice for me. Martinez is a union guy, Hinde is a fiscal conservative who has a great track record over the last two years. Let's not forget, Hinde is endorsed by all his fellow board members (even the dems) as well as the superintendent of schools Michael Watkins (another democrat who's worked with Hinde for the last two years).
Mike

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

I hope every one remembers...

The Sentinel is made up of individuals that have opinions. Those opinions are not unbiased...but they have to look unbiased.

The Sentinel editors are not any smarter nor any better informed than most of us.

That said,

Thanks to the Sentinel for at least creating a forum for comment. But I would suggest that they are ignored as far as endorsements. Throwing a dart would be a better bet than following the Sentinel.
Mike

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

There is a conspiracy of local conservatives to take the more minor seats in the local government.

Unsung seats, needed seats...how awful.

There is also a conspiracy amongst the local "progressives" to dominate city and county politics.

No doubt both are a "conspiracy", but at least the conservatives are doing the work in the trenches.

Shame on the Sentinel.
Who is the kook

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

agenda wrote:
A question... Are Hinde's views on evolution as waffle-y as those of the presidential candidate he endorsed two years ago, Ron Paul? I believe Paul's quote on the matter was "It's a theory... I don't accept it."
I'd also be interested to know Locatelli's stand. Evolution denial has become an almost standard position for all except the most moderate Republicans, and I care a lot whether it's the position of elected officials overseeing my child's education.
Hey, that's nothing. I hear Martinez and Chacanaca supported Obama in the 2008 election. You know, the guy who said there are 57 states, bows to Islamic leaders, assumes white police officers to be fools, and whose administration recently failed to extend voting rights in the upcoming elections to over 2 million of our military troops serving overseas. Now that's a political kook.
save classes

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2010

Judged:

Cabrillo trustee candidate Donna Ziel stated that during this budge crisis, her priortiy is to keep Scotts Valley classroom lease. However, this means more classes will be cut, and less students will be served. Right now, Cabrillo has too many empty classrooms (especially in Scotts Valley), but too few classes to meet the community's demand. I think between classrooms and classes, I will choose someone whose priority is saving classes for all students, not the lease income for some business.
I heard the other candidate in Area 1 made clear statement to save more classes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Davenport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Davenport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••