As We See It: School elections deserv...

As We See It: School elections deserve voter scrutiny

There are 30 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 29, 2010, titled As We See It: School elections deserve voter scrutiny. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The Nov. 2 election ballot in Santa Cruz County will ask voters to make a number of choices on candidates for local school boards.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
surreal

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Oct 29, 2010
Wow. Aaron Hinde has received nearly half his substantial war chest from an Aptos-based Republican PAC (Victory 2012 -- the same one that is supporting Kevin Moon) and the Sentinel argues that Martinez has politicized the race???

You're concerned that Locatelli has a conservative political agenda, but not that Hinde does? Or that a board with Hinde, Marani and Locatelli wouldn't a virtual arm of the Santa Cruz Republican Party?
agenda

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Oct 29, 2010
The firm (NetBoots) that does both Hinde and Locatelli's website is quite up front about their political agenda. They advertise themselves as "Websites for Conservatives" and assure candidates that "We work for the movement. Our system was built to help conservatives get ahead online."
surreal

Santa Cruz, CA

#3 Oct 29, 2010
Sorry about the duplicate post...

For more on the "politics" of the race, see
http://www.thevalleypost.com/article.php...
Wait a minute

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Oct 29, 2010
Isn't this the same Aaron Hinde who tricked Democrats a couple years ago by paying to put his name on a Democratic mailer with all Democratic candidates, done by an outfit out of LA? I read about in the Mid-County Post. Nice guy.
facts

Santa Cruz, CA

#5 Oct 29, 2010
If you take a look at the LWV's Smart Voter page, I think the facts speak for themselves

http://www5.smartvoter.org/2010/11/02/ca/scz/...
Wow Sentinel

Oakland, CA

#6 Oct 29, 2010
That was lame, lame, lame. Not only is Hinde a wing of the same political movement that put Locatelli on the ballot, he's being FUNDED by the guy you did NOT support for the Cabrillo board (Avila).

There is a well organized right wing political movement seeking to get conservative candidates political street cred through low- or no-contest races and you call a teacher wanting to serve on an education board a political operator? He's supported by educators *and* the current COE board.

Are you kidding?!

Hinde was slipped onto the COE board while everyone was busy getting Obama elected. Zero experience and zero impact. He had nothing to do with balancing the budget. Barney Finlay did that, as required by law. Hinde voted, as did the other six trustees. His claim to fiscal solvency? Attrition. That's not pro-active, that's just sitting back doing nothing.

If Hinde was about budgets, then why do COE employees have lifetime benefits? Why have more chiefs been promoted on his watch? Why isn't the COE taking an active role in centralizing services to help districts absolutely slaughtered by state budget cuts? When the FCMAT report on Special Ed reports that the COE is skimming district money, where was Hinde?

Wow Sentinel: you got this one wrong. Very wrong.
Hinde is not all that

Santa Cruz, CA

#7 Oct 29, 2010
The Sentinel would do well to read some of their own letters to the editor before making endorsements.

This was printed earlier this week in The Sentinel

Hinde forgets: It's the law

Aaron Hinde claiming personal credit for a balanced county Office of Education budget this year is akin to him bragging about stopping at a red light. Balancing the budget is state law.

Hinde and the board have no choice in the matter. Therefore, his bragging rights are nothing to brag about at all. George Martinez understands the role of the COE and the mandate to support teachers and students in Santa Cruz County. This involves not just keeping a balanced checkbook, but shepherding the wise use of tax dollars for successfully educating our youth. Vote for George Martinez.

Kelly Salazar, Santa Cruz
The union army

AOL

#8 Oct 29, 2010
I rarely agree with Sentinel endorsements, but this one for Locatelli is a bull's eye. Only in Santa Cruz County would the thought of a conservative on a school board raise an alarm, since the main thing local school boards need is a more conservative attitude towards budgets and curriculum. Left unsaid in this piece is the fact that her opponent Robert Chacanaca is president of both a local school employees union and of the Central Labor Council which oversees the SEIU and other local unions. He's the ultimate union boss in our area, and the absolute last person we need on a board intended to provide balance between the county office and the school unions.
Explain the Difference

Emeryville, CA

#9 Oct 29, 2010
All the people on here who are so dead set that there is some grand "right wing conspiracy" need to explain the difference between what they perceive is going on versus what the Democrats have always done.

Martinez and Chacanaca are endorsed by the Democratic Central Committee. They were recruited to run by teacher's unions and the SEIU, a group which funnels thousands of dollars to candidates in the area, including $50,000+ to Leopold's campaign in 2008. They tout endorsements from partisan officials like Farr, Laird, Monning, and others.

It looks to me like both sides are guilty of making local races "partisan". So is it that you are upset about that overall, or are you just upset that the local Republicans seem to be catching on?
The Sentinal Got It Right

Salinas, CA

#10 Oct 29, 2010
It's no coincidence that Martinez' signs are blue. He is receiving substantial backing and funding by the unions and their operatives whose agenda is to preserve their power and the status quo. They don't want change! Go out and see the documentary "Waiting For Superman" before voting this election cycle and you will get a new understanding of how the teacher's unions are part of the problem in our educational system - not the solution. Now the Sentinal AND Press-Banner have endorsed HINDE while the Martinez camp is reduced to scare tactics and name calling. Good luck with your fear-mongering guys. What ever happened to HOPE and CHANGE???
The Accountant

United States

#11 Oct 29, 2010
Sentinel endorses two repubs, so much for them being a liberal paper.
signs

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Oct 29, 2010
Maybe it's no coincidence that Martinez's signs are blue -- but it's no coincidence that Hinde's signs are red.

Hinde has received $4500 from a Republican PAC. Martinez has not received any contributions over $1000.
Question

Oakland, CA

#13 Oct 29, 2010
Was Republican Vic Marani a member of the teachers union when he taught in public schools?
Kids First

Salinas, CA

#14 Oct 29, 2010
Hinde has his own kids in our public schools and has a vested interest in improving them. The only vested interest that Martinez has is furthering the union agenda. The unions always put their interests first - not the kids. When I saw the private viewing of "Waiting For Superman" with Martinez on the panel, I thought it very telling that there was silence when the movie ended. Any other theater, and there would have been applause. Put Martinez and the old guard out to pasture. Hinde for CBE and for the future of our schools.
The Accountant

United States

#15 Oct 29, 2010
Question wrote:
Was Republican Vic Marani a member of the teachers union when he taught in public schools?
And, why did he leave the profession?
Moneta

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 Oct 29, 2010
Wait a minute wrote:
Isn't this the same Aaron Hinde who tricked Democrats a couple years ago by paying to put his name on a Democratic mailer with all Democratic candidates, done by an outfit out of LA? I read about in the Mid-County Post. Nice guy.
The very one - also sending out similar mailers to Republicans and Independents with his name inserted amongst all their candidates. The mailers, of course, were "from" some bogus group or other to obscure the source.

Teachers groups in the SLV aren't supporting him, even though he's from there.
Moneta

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Oct 29, 2010
The Sentinal Got It Right wrote:
It's no coincidence that Martinez' signs are blue........
Martinez is a respected teacher who actually has accomplished things with kids!! Hinde, OTOH, is absolutely clueless, or at least he was going into the last election.
Facts Matter

Salinas, CA

#18 Oct 29, 2010
Moneta wrote:
<quoted text>
Hinde, OTOH, is absolutely clueless, or at least he was going into the last election.
Hinde was interviewed by both the Sentinel and Press-Banner, and both editorials have endorsed him. He was also elected president of the Board by his peers. I'd say that offers ample evidence that he is not "clueless" as you state. More facts and less smear would be nice, but when the evidence doesn't support your claims, what are you left with, eh?
Ask questions

Oakland, CA

#19 Oct 29, 2010
Kids First wrote:
Hinde has his own kids in our public schools and has a vested interest in improving them. The only vested interest that Martinez has is furthering the union agenda. The unions always put their interests first - not the kids. When I saw the private viewing of "Waiting For Superman" with Martinez on the panel, I thought it very telling that there was silence when the movie ended. Any other theater, and there would have been applause. Put Martinez and the old guard out to pasture. Hinde for CBE and for the future of our schools.
Have you actually talked to the candidate? I have. I am in no way a fan of unions. I found Mr. Martinez to be a thoughtful person, an educator first. He is student-first, NOT union-first. He believes teachers should be treated like and behave as professionals. The first thing he'll tell you about Waiting for Superman is that there are no silver bullets; that teachers, parents, students, administrators, elected officials and community members have to work hard to make sure our schools are strong.

I saw Waiting for Superman three times. Not one time did anyone applaud the film.

As for having kids in school, one wonders why Hinde does not support his neighborhood school and places them outside his district. Locatelli never even sent her child to any schools she aims to represent.
Ask questions

Oakland, CA

#20 Oct 29, 2010
Facts Matter wrote:
<quoted text>
... He was also elected president of the Board by his peers....
The same peers that endorse his opponent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Davenport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FAT Pat should get a job at Chubbyland (Jun '15) 41 min woofers 23
News Santa Cruz renters find online listing too good... (Aug '15) 6 hr brmoffet 2
Where did the LOON go? 18 hr Still raving 12
News Family of Krista DeLuca Sues Santa Cruz County Tue Blob Mitchell 1
Will Juan Talamera turn into a combatant when t... Aug 22 woofers 8
What happened to Speed checks and DUI arrests ? Aug 22 woofers 12
Get a job ya whackjob (Jun '15) Aug 22 woofers 66

Davenport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Davenport Mortgages