Darien man gets 4 years in DUI-relate...

Darien man gets 4 years in DUI-related death

There are 18 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 25, 2007, titled Darien man gets 4 years in DUI-related death. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A college student from Darien was sentenced to 4 years in prison Thursday for driving drunk last year and killing a passenger.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 25, 2007
I'll never understand why people drink and drive drunk. Yes I do drink, but if I feel I cannot drive home I spend the night wherever I am. No I'm not smart, I just don't want to kill myself or others.
Last Call

United States

#2 Oct 25, 2007
It always that last one that gets ya.
John R

Lake Mary, FL

#3 Oct 25, 2007
Wonderful boys? "College student?" These men were 26!
John R

Lake Mary, FL

#4 Oct 25, 2007
"This is a case of a really wonderful boy having killed another really wonderful boy," Ekl said...
Weren't they 26? That's a stretch to call a man of 26 a boy. And "college students?" I'm thinking this Darien kid was some unemployed bum sitting around his parents basement calling himself a student.
Maria

Chicago, IL

#5 Oct 25, 2007
"Attorney Terry Ekl said Lind was the designated driver that evening and "made the mistake of drinking." But he had no intention of hurting his best friend."

Does anyone go out drinking with the intention of killing someone while drunk driving? This statement is insulting to the survivors.
Homer Ballard

Rockford, IL

#6 Oct 25, 2007
TOM SLICK wrote:
I'll never understand why people drink and drive drunk. Yes I do drink, but if I feel I cannot drive home I spend the night wherever I am. No I'm not smart, I just don't want to kill myself or others.
Yes, your actions are smart. VEry, very smart. Too bad more do not emulate your ways.
just southern

Woodridge, IL

#7 Oct 25, 2007
lets see, Homer only drives if "he feels safe", I think that's what they all say, isn't it? Zero tolerance is the ONLY safety you can count on, If you drive you should not have ANY in your system. It is the only way you can truely say you know it was not the drink that caused an accident.
Jim

Elburn, IL

#8 Oct 25, 2007
The designated driver blew a .18? Yeah he was trying reaaaal hard to look after his friends.
Homer Ballard

Rockford, IL

#9 Oct 25, 2007
just southern wrote:
lets see, Homer only drives if "he feels safe", I think that's what they all say, isn't it? Zero tolerance is the ONLY safety you can count on, If you drive you should not have ANY in your system. It is the only way you can truely say you know it was not the drink that caused an accident.
When and where did I say that? Are you really my wife and I was talking in my sleep again?
Ralphie W

Morristown, NJ

#10 Oct 26, 2007
John R wrote:
"This is a case of a really wonderful boy having killed another really wonderful boy," Ekl said...
Weren't they 26? That's a stretch to call a man of 26 a boy. And "college students?" I'm thinking this Darien kid was some unemployed bum sitting around his parents basement calling himself a student.
I didn't know there was an age limit on college. Maybe this person is working full time and going to school at night. I wouldn't assume things since you are just making yourself look like an a**
fran

United States

#11 Oct 26, 2007
I know that when a person drives drunk he is responsible for whatever happens, but honestly, don't you think some responsibility lies elsewhere. Why did the men get into the car with someone who was too drunk to drive? Even though he agreed to be designated driver, you should still be sure he isn't drinking. Don't you think this man is suffering? He not only has to face his punishment but he has to remember for the rest of his life that he was partially responsible for the death of his friend.
John R

Lake Mary, FL

#12 Oct 26, 2007
Hey Ralphie...I'm in my early 40s and still take courses. That doesn't make me a "college student."

Would you think to refer to him as a "boy?"
Friend

Downers Grove, IL

#13 Oct 26, 2007
I used to have the same views as all of you. You drink, you drive, case closed. That's true, to an extent. I am/was close friends with the three involved in the accident. Without a doubt the driver should not have driven, but he did. He is a good guy. He cares about his friends. He has backed me up countless times. Unfortunately, the time he made a mistake, it was a grievous one that cost the life of a friend. They all should have thought better that night, but the burden does lie on him.

Most of the time you don't realize a mistake until you've made it. He's going to have to live with that guilt the rest of his life.
Friend

Port Costa, CA

#14 Oct 31, 2007
You people have no right to judge anyone. The story was not reported accurately here, they didn't get the name right, and I assure you, the driver of the car wouldn't have called himself a college student, that was an error on the reporter's part.
Also, you should know that the person who died was not wearing his seatbelt! The other two people in the car were wearing their seatbelts and came out with minor injuries. Additionally, the method for calculating BAC is totally messed up, using metabolic averages that would nto accurately reflect the BAC for a lot of people. Also, this person was a true FRIEND...he is always looking out for other people and this was a terrible accident that had more to do with the age and condition of the car and lack of wearing a seatbelt then any supposed'drunkenness.' But I guess that during a tragedy such as this its much easier to point the finger at alcohol.
deb

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Nov 2, 2007
You bring up excellent points! A very unfortunate event for everyone.
Friend wrote:
You people have no right to judge anyone. The story was not reported accurately here, they didn't get the name right, and I assure you, the driver of the car wouldn't have called himself a college student, that was an error on the reporter's part.
Also, you should know that the person who died was not wearing his seatbelt! The other two people in the car were wearing their seatbelts and came out with minor injuries. Additionally, the method for calculating BAC is totally messed up, using metabolic averages that would nto accurately reflect the BAC for a lot of people. Also, this person was a true FRIEND...he is always looking out for other people and this was a terrible accident that had more to do with the age and condition of the car and lack of wearing a seatbelt then any supposed'drunkenness.' But I guess that during a tragedy such as this its much easier to point the finger at alcohol.
Caroline

Hinsdale, IL

#16 Nov 22, 2007
I believe justice needs to be served and that Lind deserves punishment, but the poor guy has already ruined his life by killing his friend. It's easy to point fingers at him and say he was the drunk one...but the other two passengers were 26 and 27? Big boys...they can make decisions for themselves as to who they get into a car with and whether or not they wear their seatbelts. I bet a seatbelt would have saved Hydzik's life.

“Tell the ttruth; no rumors”

Since: Sep 07

Oak Brook

#17 Nov 23, 2007
Caroline wrote:
I believe justice needs to be served and that Lind deserves punishment, but the poor guy has already ruined his life by killing his friend. It's easy to point fingers at him and say he was the drunk one...but the other two passengers were 26 and 27? Big boys...they can make decisions for themselves as to who they get into a car with and whether or not they wear their seatbelts. I bet a seatbelt would have saved Hydzik's life.
Your retorts are moot. Only one person took an action, which caused death. He is in jail, where he belongs.
Lorie

Vallejo, CA

#18 Jan 25, 2010
I have known a man for 4 years. he has destroyed 2 of my cars, got 20 duis, cheated on me, put me in debt.... his family is an idoit and thinks I am bad. LOOK at him!! Don't go near a man if he has more duis that you can count. he is Bad news!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darien Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Firehouse Chapel - Steve Troglio 5 min Christianmingler 1
BHS looking for a new Principal 1 hr Ex BHS Dad 3
I saw Bolingbrooks BIGGEST loser 3 hr Lens a joke 2
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc 8 hr Marlene 39
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) 11 hr Frank Morelli 587
Singles, STAY AWAY from the DuPage County Fair! Wed Tommy 1
News Police involved in fatal Summit shooting (Apr '06) Jun 29 TIRED OF IDIOTS 547

Darien Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Darien Mortgages